Plate and Mat?

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
When a league / tournament uses a plate and a mat is the plate considered part of the mat and called a strike? I’m sure it varies to some degree by association or league but what is the general call.

rybred23

Starting Player
I know it varies but our leagues have used plate and mat for the last 3-5 years. If it hits the plate or mat, it's a strike. Personally, I wish it would be a strike only when it hits the mat but what can you do.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Several leagues here use mats. They all count the plate as a strike too. It really isn't that difficult to deal with as a hitter once you get used to it.

They do this because they can't find adequate umps who know how to call a legit strike zone.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
We use mats here. The only issue is a good pitcher can hit the front of the plate and the back of the mat. It makes it hard to set in the box as they call out of the box here.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Seniors leagues use mats here and it really doesn't help, the umps call almost exclusively if/when ball hits the plate/mat without considering an actual strike zone

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Most of the places that use the plate and mat as a strike do so to get rid of the, "Oh it hit the plate not the mat...." or, "It hit the mat no the plate...." This way if it hits either it's a strike. Less bitching that way. Also, most of the time the mat that is used with the plate as a strike. It is shorter than the mat that was used when just the mat was a strike....... When I play this kind of stuff. I move up in the box about 12" to guard the plate and not have to reach down to hit a ball that may land on it.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Our leagues up here use the mat covering the plate, so even if the pitch lands on the front edge of the mat, its called a strike. Pretty frustrating when a pitch doesnt even come close to going over the plate is considered a strike. Have to stand in the front of the batters box to prevent this.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
We use mats here. The only issue is a good pitcher can hit the front of the plate and the back of the mat. It makes it hard to set in the box as they call out of the box here.

This is the only real issue with mats; the 6'-5" guy has the same strike zone as his 5'-0" girlfriend. If the pitcher is allowed a decent arc, that short pitch that catches the front lip is a long way away from the 12' pitch that hits the back edge.

Our leagues up here use the mat covering the plate, so even if the pitch lands on the front edge of the mat, its called a strike. Pretty frustrating when a pitch doesnt even come close to going over the plate is considered a strike. Have to stand in the front of the batters box to prevent this.

"Up here"... you happen to be playing SPN?

My first few SPN tournies with that rectangular mat were a bit of a rude awakening.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
A good idea for you taller guys is ask the umpire how far forward the box ends. The leagues I play and tourneys in Masters, they tell us there is not end to the front of the box if the plate is a strike. Your back foot cannot be any further than the front of the plate on contact, but they don't care where your front foot lands out front. As long as you don't step in front of the plate, or obviously step out to pull. Before my first at bat of any game, I ask there umpire where the front of the box is. They usually say there isn't one as long as my back foot is even with the front of the plate on contact.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the only real issue with mats; the 6'-5" guy has the same strike zone as his 5'-0" girlfriend. If the pitcher is allowed a decent arc, that short pitch that catches the front lip is a long way away from the 12' pitch that hits the back edge.

"Up here"... you happen to be playing SPN?

My first few SPN tournies with that rectangular mat were a bit of a rude awakening.
SPO and NSA here in southern Ontario. NSA also uses fiberglass boards as well, as when the ball hits it, makes a noise and its called a strike

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
One thing I do like about the mat as an ump, it cuts down on arguing over balls and strikes a lot. Everyone involved can plainly see whether a pitch hit the mat or plate, or not. All I really have to do as an ump is call the pitch illegal if it isn't within 6-10' high.

I hate to say it, but you just look like a boob if you stand there and ***** after getting called out on strikes when you can see the ball mark on the mat.

ETDave

Old School
I play in senior league and coed at the same park. The senior league uses the plate and mat, the coed league doesn’t. Our umps are so bad I wish they’d go to the mat and plate for all the divisions. If I was umpiring I’d love the mat and plate.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Up here in WI, it's all plate and mat. In fact our mat goes four inches in front of the plate. With a 6-12 arc that really doesn't get called over the top until 14, there is no chance at covering the front edge of the mat and the back. And on a windy night you can have a pitch that is unhittable that still catches the edge of the mat.

That said, I've seen some of the umpires around here try to call a strike zone. They almost all just call it as if there were a mat there anyway.