Playing after herniated disc?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Finished physical therapy today. Well, my insurance won't pay anymore after today. I would say I'm at about 95% in terms of being able to work and do everday ****. Maybe 50-60% in softball terms. Numbness in right calf and foot is slowly going away, but weakness in right foot remains. Also nerve pain in left hip and a little into the thigh. I'll continue doing the stretches/exercises at home. They seem to be helping.

Moving on to working with a personal trainer starting next Tuesday. She has experience with back patients and was recommended by my surgeon. Plan on doing more core work at first. Probably make me do some cardio. I guess I'll find out more at the gym. I worked out for one summer/fall in high school, but that wasn't really serious. Just messing around at my friend's family owned gym.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Been working out 3x a week for 6 weeks now. Doing arms/shoulders, legs, abs and cardio each time. Additional cardio 2-3x a week- eliptical, stair climber or just walking. Have a little nerve inflammation after doing abs on the ball 2 weeks ago. Sciatic pain in the right hip. I was dead tired after a long weekend at work. Should have taken that day off from the gym. Still have the weakness in my right foot. I am staying with the plan, don't do it if it hurts.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Oh- I did play a couple of games the last night of fall ball last weekend. I can do everything but run. Looked and felt really shaky. No pain though.

3XC

Big Truss
I lost about 20 pounds since my disk herniation, and it helped tremendously. 20 pounds isn't a lot, but it was all in my midsection. Carrying even a little extra weight stresses the core muscles and imbalances you.

Knock on wood, no back spasms in months.

Twist It

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a disc economy Dec 8th 2010. It was as bad as it gets before I had the surgery went through the shots first one helped then it came back in two weeks other two did nothing. When it got so bad I couldn't even move stand or sit I had it done. It's been great I do my stretching and stuff in the morning before I leave for work which is construction still play ball a lot too. Actually went back to work after surgery first week of January. Sorry for the ramble but there is hope bro even though it sucks now for you.

Sandlot Legend

Addicted to Softballfans
I am going on my 2nd year of being pain free after finding out I had a herniated disc in the summer of 2010. I still have numbness in my right leg and get funny sensations on the bottom of my foot (like I'm stepping on a clump of clay).

Thankfully, I am able to walk, run, and play softball again. I remember the days of using a cane to walk and the extreme pain.

I wish you much success in your recovery. The key is patience and getting yourself in tune before hitting the field again.:eek:

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Update- coming up on 7 months since the surgery. I've been going to the gym since mid September. Mostly iso exercises and lifts with machines so far (other than leg press). I plan to start doing more compound lifts in the next few weeks.

Hip/sciatic pain is gone. Lower back pain is minimal, not really even uncomfortable. Still have numbness & tingling in the first three toes on my right foot. Weakness lifting the toes on the right foot.

I'd like to start jogging a bit towards the end of February. We'll see.

Twist It

Addicted to Softballfans
If you do anything core work is huge. Planks for the obliques and abs do both and youll start feeling the benifits right away. Dont hold off do em and after the first day or two itl lb no biggie and youll want to do em cause you will notice a differance.

I have disc problem from past three months and i have tried many physio therapists but the pain is becoming worst and worst.Then someone asked me to contact Las Vegas Back Pain Doctor , there i have the treatment and now i have overcomed the pain to large extent. They have treated me with massage therapy , after having it i feel so relaxed and refreshed. I once visit them in a week.

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
May have a herniated disc in my lower back. Having an MRI tomorrow.:( Got me wondering about my softball future. Anyone have any experience with this injury?
Been playing with it for years. Usually have 1 bad flare-up every year where I can't play for 2 weeks but rest of the year I'm fine

Jared

Addicted to Softballfans
This is me as well. Got some bad bulging 10 years ago, herniated l5-s1 last Sept. Injections don't work for me. Surgeon doesn't want to cut me open and I'd rather avoid that as well. Started DDP Yoga in December. It's legit. Had a nasty spasm last Thursday night Fielding a grounder but the Yoga almost has me fixed up 1 week later.