Power - lead arm or top hand

FA13

Addicted to Softballfans
have heard numerous times that the top hand is the power hand, but then hear the exact opposite from others? Which hand should be the focus? which is providing the power? Is it the lead arm pull or more the top hand push?

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I always assumed (ass+u+me) that because right handed batters have their dominant had at the top, that it would be more responsible for the power, and the lower hand is there to guide and pull the bat through the swing. I could be wrong though.....

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Using an overlap grip you would think the top hand starts the "snap/whip" that creates power....... bottom starts the pull, top whips it around.....but what do I know....not much :D

Redman

Bottom hand! Haha but I throw right bat left so for me it feels that I pull that bat not push it.

But for full overlap grips I would think the stronger hand should be on top

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Neither, it's the lower half of your body. What do I win?

Focusing on your hands is taking time and energy away from what actually attributes to a powerful swing. If you do things right upstream, the barrel will snap on its own.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I think op was looking for an excuse to beefcake up his right arm without having to worry about the other hand getting lonely....

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Bottom hand! Haha but I throw right bat left so for me it feels that I pull that bat not push it.

I've always been told the lead arm controls your swing.

^^^not sure on the exact "science" of it. But Ted Williams did give credit to his being right hand dominant and batting lefty as the stronger arm closer to the ball in his book. I too bat lefty and throw righty...all of us great hitters are that way!! Lol.

lilrunte

Extra Hitter
Neither, it's the lower half of your body. What do I win?

Focusing on your hands is taking time and energy away from what actually attributes to a powerful swing. If you do things right upstream, the barrel will snap on its own.

This is the right answer... the power comes from your legs not your hands. Power is generated from the ground up, if you want more juice you gotta work on your legs and hips (which is a rarety in softball)

Jack44

Addicted to Softballfans
If you have ever seen an individual who was born with only one arm or hand swing a bat they take a stance where their hand is to the back and I have seen some really good one handed ball players.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know gym lifting helps, but has anyone found anything that helps more than taking a lot of swings? I've seen way more skinny guys with good technique who took a ton of swings playing baseball hit farther than I have gym rats. I know part of that is because everyone notices when a big old muscle bound guy hits like a sally, and when a skinny guy crushes, but that's just what I've observed.

I think I'm just bitter that I can't take more bp than I do.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
The answer is both. Want proof, go out with a tee and take one arm swings with each arm and see how far the ball goes.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The answer is both. Want proof, go out with a tee and take one arm swings with each arm and see how far the ball goes.

It goes a lot farther with my left, but I hit it more consistently with my right. I have an actual power and average arm. :D

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans

This for me also. Throw right bat left, so this is how i feel i bat. When i switch hit my top (right) hand feels more dominant.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Got Dominican buddy that played a lot of baseball... He always told me to pull with your bottom hand... Keeps your hands in and helps prevent casting... Top hand you wanna punch with when your bottom hand clears your chest... He said when you can get your timing down on both these things, you will become more consistent and simplify your swing...

Also if you pull with your bottom hand, you will notice how much you get your hips involved... Also had a good player on this board tell me to pull with the bottom hand...

Pull punch!

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Watch Chris Greinert swing. His swing is bigtime bottom hand dominant, and he absolutely destroys the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
It goes a lot farther with my left, but I hit it more consistently with my right. I have an actual power and average arm. :D

Its cause you are using a line drive bat with your power arm and a power bat for your right arm. That is the softball version of crossing the streams.

jhitman

have heard numerous times that the top hand is the power hand, but then hear the exact opposite from others? Which hand should be the focus? which is providing the power? Is it the lead arm pull or more the top hand push?

The legs/hips/core are the supply for a powerful swing. Absolutely the lead hand/arm should pull hard with a push from the top hand. Concentrate on the lead arm pulling hard. Also, have your weight back and on the balls of your feet, but you should feel balanced and level at all times. I try to build momentum by starting slow into the hitting zone and the accelerating through the hitting zone with max speed. Most people I watch hit try to load up and swing really hard but their bat slows down through the hitting zone. Bat speed through the hitting zone is going to give you max distance.

dtrotd

Coach
The above post is the best visualization of this...Pull Punch
If you get into your batting stance and go through your normal swing one handed, you will see.

You can focus on your ability to "pull" through the zone with your bottom hand
You can focus on your ability to "punch" and power through with your top hand

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Um.... Both. But mostly your legs.

Both hands huh?? Explain? And I agree hips, legs, core factor in a lot more than people think.

All this talk about the top hand, how much "power" does it provide with a complete overlap grip???

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
You'd be surprised. Even with a full overlap grip your top hand can still dominate if you let it. For me that usually means snapping too early on the ball and rolling over it.

I wouldn't be surprised..... If someone learns how to hit with the full overlap properly, that won't happen.....

kaos

I use a modified overlap grip - can the top hand still dominate that much? How can you tell if top handing dominating too much - ground balls, rolling over?

WarHorse

Star Player
Your bottom hand is your power hand. The top hand guides the bat. As the bat enters the zone you're going to release your guide hand and use your power hand to whip the bat.

For more power, masturbate with your left hand if you're right handed. And masturbate often. Will make you stronger and more whippy.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I wouldn't be surprised..... If someone learns how to hit with the full overlap properly, that won't happen.....

Can you clarify this? What would he be doing wrong on the overlap that would cause the top hand to dominate too much?

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Premature snap, rolling over. You'll feel it if you do it wrong.

I agree. Top spin is a good indication you are rolling over. If you eliminate the top hand roll over at contact, your direction will be better and you will find back spin easier to produce.