Pretty sure that I made a mistake

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So I ended up selling my 27oz SRV4 and bought an ASA Z3000 endloaded in 27oz. I put an offer in on one on ebay not thinking that I would get it. Well, they accepted my offer and now I am the proud owner. I wasn't too upset because I have swung a teammates 30oz version in a 14" tourny and crunched those things with it.

It shows up yesterday and of course I grab my tee and a bag of balls and go out to hit. I went to the local high school baseball field to hit. 320' down the lines and 350' to center. 48 .44/375 balls and 2 .52/300 balls. No wind. I ended up hitting a couple out and was peppering the fence pretty consistent, but it just feels like I was about 10-15 feet short on everything compared to my SRV4. Last time I hit with it was on a field with no fence but it's 350ish feet to a parking lot and I had a couple of balls roll into there. The ball seemed to explode off of the bat and the "PING" sound was loud, but the distance was just off.

Then when I was done hitting, I inspected the barrel and noticed what looked like a small hairline crack towards the end cap along the visible seam. At least I have a 12 month warranty and only a few more games left this year. Hopefully the thing won't break on me though. I just keep thinking that I shouldn't have even played with making an offer and went after an aftermath. It would've only been $15 more. :frusty::doh:

Rog

Addicted to Softballfans
the first round of BP using my Z, i saw a verticle crack about and inch and a half long. that was 600 swings ago and it is still the same size. keep swinging.
i noticed with the Z that the pop and exit speed are great, but the distance isn't all there. seems like the balls die on me in the air.
keep it, i think you'll like it.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Stop hitting balls that the bat wasn't designed for.

PS: They will bury me with my 27oz SRV4. Selling it...that's where you REALLY messed up.

sjury

The Old Man
Exit speed and distance are the same thing. If you hit a ball with a Demarini and it had a xxx mph speed and hit the same ball the same way with a Z with the same exit speed the distance would be the same. A ground ball can have the same speed as a hr, it's just where you make contact with the ball.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Exit speed and distance are the same thing. If you hit a ball with a Demarini and it had a xxx mph speed and hit the same ball the same way with a Z with the same exit speed the distance would be the same. A ground ball can have the same speed as a hr, it's just where you make contact with the ball.

Good lord, why can't people understand that? ^^^^

If you're getting better distance with X bat, it's because the exit angle is optimal (around 30* from horizontal, if I remember correctly), and you're getting backspin from hitting the bottom half of the ball. These are things that the batter controls, has nothing to do with the bat.

If you're getting exit speed with no distance, 9/10 times, you're hitting the ball dead on and producing little spin. And some people will pick up certain bats and for whatever reason (weighting, balance, etc) will hit more dead pigeons and knuckleballs. Not the bat's fault, so stop giving bad reviews.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find people assume exit speed is higher than it is when the bat is loud as hell too. People are very unscientific normally.

ShowMeUrCNT

Part Time Player

If you're getting better distance with X bat, it's because the exit angle is optimal (around 30* from horizontal, if I remember correctly), and you're getting backspin from hitting the bottom half of the ball. These are things that the batter controls, has nothing to do with the bat.

If you're getting exit speed with no distance, 9/10 times, you're hitting the ball dead on and producing little spin. And some people will pick up certain bats and for whatever reason (weighting, balance, etc) will hit more dead pigeons and knuckleballs. Not the bat's fault, so stop giving bad reviews.

One bat can compress the ball more given 2 identical exit speeds. The compressed ball will travel further.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
One bat can compress the ball more given 2 identical exit speeds. The compressed ball will travel further.

please explain this further...:bigeyes:

to the OP, you did make a mistake - you purchased a Z. Hurry up and sell it to another sucker and then get something worth while

rfoorman

Manager

I think the sound of the Z's plays tricks with people's mind and makes them think that the "pop" an "exit speed" is a lot higher than it really is, so then when it doesn't get the distance they would expect from said pop and exit speed they get confused lol

markf

Addicted to Softballfans
My flipper AM is a team bat for three teams in leagues that use the 44/375 and it's held up just fine.

How many games? I had both flippers, and niether lasted half a season last year and this year. Id bet its probably about to go cause despite demarini advertising the AM as capable of surviving use on 44/375 they really dont last. Hitting 52/300s and the durability issues disappear!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've still yet to hit a bat i consider "hot out of the wrapper". i know my z took a couple hundred hits before i was impressed.

My DBU last year was hitting the ball out within 50 swings, and I have to have a bat fully broken in to do that. That's as close as I've been, but it was also January or February doing that too.