PRO M SYNTHETIC OR LEATHER BALL

Speedy07

I wanted to get some feedback from the softball community on what is better, the synthetic pro m ball or the leather pro m ball!

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What are you looking for it to do? The synthetic usually lasts longer, the leather flies just a bit better, takes spin a little better and seems to have better hops. Personally I'd go synthetic for anything below B. The durability difference, especially in wet conditions, push it over the edge for me. I've only got experience with Dudley ZN vs SY. Other brands may be completely different.

Speedy07

Appreciate ur response! Definitely going to order the synthetic balls, I feel like they are harder overall compared to the leather. IMO

Have you ever used the .44 525 Dudley balls?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You won't really find any leather balls anymore. Everything now is either synthetic or composite. Composite is a soft, tacky cover that acts and feels like leather but is a lot lighter and far more water resistant.

The only synthetic Pro Ms I've ever seen or hit are Dudley Thunder SYs. IMO they perform just as well as their ZN (composite) counterparts.

Unless you're playing in super hot and humid conditions I'd probably just get synthetic balls.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
You won't really find any leather balls anymore. Everything now is either synthetic or composite. Composite is a soft, tacky cover that acts and feels like leather but is a lot lighter and far more water resistant.

The only synthetic Pro Ms I've ever seen or hit are Dudley Thunder SYs. IMO they perform just as well as their ZN (composite) counterparts.

Unless you're playing in super hot and humid conditions I'd probably just get synthetic balls.
You're right, I don't know when they stopped making the ZN with leather. I remember there being a lot of issues with endcaps skinning the leather right of the ball if you mis-hit it. All of the ProM and Stadium balls I have at home are all composite.
Have you ever used the .44 525 Dudley balls?
No, because they aren't legal in any sanction I work. They are pretty much Stadium balls so I would expect them to kill your bats.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You're right, I don't know when they stopped making the ZN with leather. I remember there being a lot of issues with endcaps skinning the leather right of the ball if you mis-hit it. All of the ProM and Stadium balls I have at home are all composite.

No, because they aren't legal in any sanction I work. They are pretty much Stadium balls so I would expect them to kill your bats.

ZNs have never been leather. Those were always composite. Dudley still makes Thunder Heats, which are leather (though I've also seen composite Thunder Heats).

I haven't seen leather softballs in games in years.

.44 525 Dudleys are very hard, but not overly bouncy. If your bat is hot, the balls fly great. If you're using a dead bat you might not see much. And yes, those balls definitely destroy bats.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Evil game balls are still leather cover. Synthetic is the least performing cover material especially in anything about 55 degrees

Newer ASA/USA Evils I've seen/hit were composite... and they were the best performing Evil .52s I've seen to date.