Probably redundant 1st base mitt help thread

satanwannabe

Addicted to Softballfans
Good morning, people who know way more about gloves than me. I’ve come to pick your brains, even if it’s adjacent to other queries.

I’m adding a full time first base league night, and want to get a medium nice to fairly nice first base mitt. I’ve gone into research and information overload as much as I can, with the result only decision paralysis. I’ve tried on what I can find at my local Scheels, but there’s an information gap I was hoping you folks could help me with.

The Rawlings DCT I tried on in store didn’t get past my thumb joint, but the AR44 model liked my hand (even if not my wallet). I tried a Nokona and it seemed somewhere in between. I have a Vinci BR46 custom that fit right the day I got it, 7 years ago. Gloveworks intrigues me, but I’ve not come across one in person so far.

I’m hunting for something ideally well under the $300 range.
Bigger is better- preferably a softball pattern and definitely in hand room. I have thick, long ish fingers (at least xl batting gloves, worn in the mitt).

I guess my question is this: what’s the general consensus, if any, on meaty-hand friendly, slowpitch-pattern first base mitts?

I’ll spend closer to the 3 bills mark if it gets me more, but I’m not sure that this will be a constant position, yet.

I greatly appreciate any and all input and/or shaming.

ShortYellowBus

Theres a place that has a good return policy, for just ball gloves.

I use and highly recommend Gloveworks to everyone, but the health concerns in Asia might mean you’ll have to wait longer than a Monsta pre-order to finally get one.

Try the former, or the latter if you can find one for sale. Not many people sell after they buy.

Lemond

I just got a DCT last fall. It was pretty snug at first, but after working it over, I use it now with a XL batting glove. Meaty hands, but not extra long fingers. Have even toyed with the idea of forcing to try TIP, but I don't think that's me, and more so not this glove.

Bottom line, I love it, and super glad I got the help here to find it! Well under your $300 ceiling.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I’ve got a few dct’s lately and one was very snug, while the other was much looser. I really like them for softball and when I had a similar question, that was the answer I came up with. That said, my hands are only a large and really a medium/large so it’s not exactly apples to apples...

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Good morning, people who know way more about gloves than me. I’ve come to pick your brains, even if it’s adjacent to other queries.

I’m adding a full time first base league night, and want to get a medium nice to fairly nice first base mitt. I’ve gone into research and information overload as much as I can, with the result only decision paralysis. I’ve tried on what I can find at my local Scheels, but there’s an information gap I was hoping you folks could help me with.

The Rawlings DCT I tried on in store didn’t get past my thumb joint, but the AR44 model liked my hand (even if not my wallet). I tried a Nokona and it seemed somewhere in between. I have a Vinci BR46 custom that fit right the day I got it, 7 years ago. Gloveworks intrigues me, but I’ve not come across one in person so far.

I’m hunting for something ideally well under the $300 range.
Bigger is better- preferably a softball pattern and definitely in hand room. I have thick, long ish fingers (at least xl batting gloves, worn in the mitt).

I guess my question is this: what’s the general consensus, if any, on meaty-hand friendly, slowpitch-pattern first base mitts?

I’ll spend closer to the 3 bills mark if it gets me more, but I’m not sure that this will be a constant position, yet.

I greatly appreciate any and all input and/or shaming.

I wear XXL batting gloves and was very happy with the Easton Mako 38b and the custom Gloveworks that I picked up. It is the larger softball pattern.

My fav was an old silverback sbfb1 but it is very old and doubt you could find a decent one anymore

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the Wilson A2000-1883 is the best first base softball mitt there is. The hand stall is roomy and adjustable, but I wear a size L batting glove. They have not made them as a stock model in a couple of years, but Google is your friend.

Party mafia

I think the Wilson A2000-1883 is the best first base softball mitt there is. The hand stall is roomy and adjustable, but I wear a size L batting glove. They have not made them as a stock model in a couple of years, but Google is your friend.
the mizuno pro 1st base glove has the similar pattern as the wilson a2000-1883.

satanwannabe

Addicted to Softballfans
With the gloveworks sale that popped up today, I’m thinking it’s time to take the plunge. Aside from the stamped recessed logo, does anybody have any other off book customizations I should consider requesting?

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/gloveworks.1458438/

take a peek at this thread. lots of info and ideas in there.

GEmaKTv.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
So Rous, what would you consider the best currently available version?
Best available? Softball First base mitt? The 1883 is only available as a custom unless you find a NOS on the bay or somewhere. The GW 13.25" version of the DCT is very similar, a little bit wider pocket than a 1883, but not as deep. That Mizumo Pro look pretty damn similar to the 1883, but I have not taped one to know if they are the same size. If they are, then not a bad option to a custom 1883.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Best available? Softball First base mitt? The 1883 is only available as a custom unless you find a NOS on the bay or somewhere. The GW 13.25" version of the DCT is very similar, a little bit wider pocket than a 1883, but not as deep. That Mizumo Pro look pretty damn similar to the 1883, but I have not taped one to know if they are the same size. If they are, then not a bad option to a custom 1883.
https://www.wilson.com/en-us/baseba...2020-a2000-2013-12-5-first-base-baseball-mitt

this looks good too

Junior_SD

Manager
I might get crap over this, but it's all good. Hands down the best mitt I have ever used is the Miken Koalition. It's a DCT pattern but much larger and a true 13" mitt. This is the widest and deepest mitt I have ever used. Slowpitch specific with a wide web. Wish they made this in HOH leather without the pull strap.

Had Rous re-lace this one for me in black and stiffen up the toe. It's held up good so far. I would buy another if I could find one.

2QsNOSb.jpg 703jAVR.jpg ESwJseT.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I might get crap over this, but it's all good. Hands down the best mitt I have ever used is the Miken Koalition. It's a DCT pattern but much larger and a true 13" mitt. This is the widest and deepest mitt I have ever used. Slowpitch specific with a wide web. Wish they made this in HOH leather without the pull strap.

Had Rous re-lace this one for me in black and stiffen up the toe. It's held up good so far. I would buy another if I could find one.

View attachment 62463 View attachment 62464 View attachment 62465
Its the DCT-SB everyone wants and Rawlings should make as an HOH!

Hmmm, Funny, I don't remember relacing that 1883:D.

NYC

Swag on 100.

View attachment 62463 View attachment 62464 View attachment 62465
Looks like it's made by Rawlings. Same stamping in the palm.

Junior_SD

Manager
Its the DCT-SB everyone wants and Rawlings should make as an HOH!

Hmmm, Funny, I don't remember relacing that 1883:D.

Agreed!

This is the only glove that you didn't handle for me, sorry buddy lol. You've done 7-8 if not more for me and this was a one time exception lol

Junior_SD

Manager
Looks like it's made by Rawlings. Same stamping in the palm.

If I'm not mistaken, Rawlings owns Miken. If only Rawlings could use the tooling and produce this in HOH leather even if they couldn't make a traditional open back. I just wear a Rawlings wristband over that area so you can't see the straps for 'cosmetic' purposes :D

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed!

This is the only glove that you didn't handle for me, sorry buddy lol. You've done 7-8 if not more for me and this was a one time exception lol
No worries! I'm just bummed I missed out on an easy 1883 (DCT style are a PITA)!

Was that Miken the one where you had to play Private Eye to get it back?

Last edited:

Junior_SD

Manager
No worries! I'm just bummed I missed out on an easy 1883 (DCT style are a PITA)!

Was that Miken the one where you had to play Private Eye to get it back?

I remember you mentioning how difficult the DCT pattern is to re-lace.

Good memory! That is the one!

satanwannabe

Addicted to Softballfans
It is indeed, I may do a couple things differently (not by much), but that’s a really good looking set of decisions you made. I’ve seen a couple of their gloves in that color, but wasn’t sure. The builder does not do it justice.

I think I’ve got an idea what I’m gonna do- I may bug you if I go full decision vapor lock. Did yours do well for you?

If you are referring to the one Annasdad posted then that is my old mitt. It's British tan, yellow stitching and tan laces. If you need more details shoot me a message and I can give you the details I requested.

Junior_SD

Manager
It is indeed, I may do a couple things differently (not by much), but that’s a really good looking set of decisions you made. I’ve seen a couple of their gloves in that color, but wasn’t sure. The builder does not do it justice.

I think I’ve got an idea what I’m gonna do- I may bug you if I go full decision vapor lock. Did yours do well for you?

It's definitely nice to see real pictures compared to the builder. In my post it's the last one in the picture next to the midnight tan mitt (side by side)

Feel free to ask me here or send me a message and I'd be happy to answer any questions. To be honest, I have never held onto a single GW mitt long enough to break one in lol. I always end up selling only to order another one. My latest one is the black mitt and I may or may not break it in, but now that our season is put on hold I may find sometime to get around to it. @ShortYellowBus bought the mitt from me so maybe he can chime in and share his thoughts on it?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember you mentioning how difficult the DCT pattern is to re-lace.

Good memory! That is the one!

Hard to forget one of my relacing fears, that the post office will deliver a glove to the wrong address!

Can GW still make the webs extra wide of these? Whichever one I worked on that had that was special.

Junior_SD

Manager
Hard to forget one of my relacing fears, that the post office will deliver a glove to the wrong address!

Can GW still make the webs extra wide of these? Whichever one I worked on that had that was special.

That was quite the fiasco but it worked out in the end.

I believe they now charge for this option. The best web to date on any of these GW mitts was the British tan one. The web was perfect for softball.