Problem with hitting foul balls

tabascosaucy

Banned User
My stats... I'm 6'4 205 pounds. I have a problem with pulling the ball foul down 3rd base line. I was told my hands are to fast to go up in bat weight. I use to swing 27 so I went to a 30. Still the same problem, sometimes the ball even goes out of the park over the fence I pull so hard. My stance is square with the plate, a little off the plate bc my arms are really long. Any suggestions?

DSNuts48

Badass
You're just way out front, tough to break down your swing without a video. More than likely you're swinging too early.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Get yourself a tee and set it up behind home plate and stand where you normally would. This will show you how deep you need to let the ball get to go to opposite field. Once you have that down move it up a little and hit all the balls towards the middle.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
Try and go middle. That should keep you square with the field and make you wait on the ball more

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I used to have this problem a little when I first started. Some of my farthest shots were just foul. My guess is your stride is taking you towards 3rd, as is being a bit early. Bp will help you wait on the pitch. And good pitch selection will help you keep the ball in play.

Darracq

Where do you stand in the box and how far away from the plate. You could be casting real bad in your swing also, getting your hands way out from your body and then having the hit the ball way out front to hit the sweet spot.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Get a T- Find poition you need to be in vs T to hit tio middle and right field. Repeat a whole bunch of times. Then hit the ball at the same position with live pitching.

chino

Addicted to Softballfans
You probably open up too soon and your front leg stride out to the left. Try to practice taking a small step or a very short leg kick as the ball approaches you. That should help straighten you out.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
BP BP BP! posting a video would also help us give more/better advice! but yes the T is always good!

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to have this problem a little when I first started. Some of my farthest shots were just foul. My guess is your stride is taking you towards 3rd, as is being a bit early. Bp will help you wait on the pitch. And good pitch selection will help you keep the ball in play.

I agree. No need to change your swing much, just stride a little more towards the 1st base side. This will cause your stride to close up a bit and balls will start to be fair. A couple inch adjustment to where your front foot lands can make a big difference.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
...one other thing, when your front foot lands, make sure it is pointing towards the first base side dugout (assuming you are a righty). If it is landing pointing towards the pitcher, this too can cause that problem.

This might sound counterintuitive, but start with an exaggerated open stance. In order to reach the ball you will be forced to close your stance and will not pull the ball.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Instead of trying to change you swing, simply change your position in the box.

Try simply standing about 12" farther from the plate.

Basic mechanics will make your inside pitches go down the 3B line. Outside pitches will go further to the right, depending on how far they are outside. Make more of your your pitches outside by moving back.

Fortin151

Extra Hitter
You probably open up too soon and your front leg stride out to the left. Try to practice taking a small step or a very short leg kick as the ball approaches you. That should help straighten you out.

Agreed here

Most will say to have a open stance. Then let ur front leg direct where your hitting the ball. I had the aame problem amd still sometimes hit my biggest shots foul. But i know these are inside pitches and because of my baseball background i love that pitch. So now if i dont want to pull hard i stand with my lead foot closer to the plate and take a shorter stride. now my stance is further away from the plate and my front foot is basically where it use be. This swing is more of a gap or single swing but i never pull foul. Its almost impossible with out falling down. Lol.
Use your front foot and attack the ball when your foot plants. Not after or not way after.

trick

OG Firebug
Stride toward the pitcher and keep your left shoulder closed. Hit ball between chalk lines.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
This is one of the few times where I think tee work is better than live bp.

I agree with this statement. The tee will teach you exactly where to stand in the batters box and where the ball has to be in order for it to go a certain direction. When you learn this you will be a happy camper.

marik

Addicted to Softballfans
I had the same problem but fixed it by closing my batting stance a little bit. Let's me square up on the ball better