protective gear for pitching.

Was pitching BP today, and took a bullet back at the mound just above my right knee. The pain was intense, and I am glad it didn't hit my knee cap. What do you pitchers use to keep knees and shins protected? I wear Mizuno sliding pads when I play short, but I know they won't cut it. I want something light weight and quality. I am quick and don't want to be slowed down by bulky gear. I just realized the art and joy that comes with pitching this game, so I may start pitching some coed for fun. Thanks in advance.

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
When your pitching BP you should get a net. Either look at the Pitchsafe or the Jugs Lite Flite.

The Pitchsafe is not cheap, but it's cheaper than the medical bills when you take one off the face.
I can't tell you how many times its saved our pitchers in BP.

JoinTheUprising

Addicted to Softballfans
i wear soccer shin guards, worth pitching helmet and sometimes put my heart guard on. all have become second nature when pitching wont do it without them. its a rec sport save ur life and no ur glove is not always enough as most non pitchers believe. having peace of mind on the mound is enough for me and knowing i have some protection in the event i get nailed is a nice feeling

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
1) Fox launch shin/knee combo pads (made for mountain biking) - very light weight with great protection, fairly easy to take on/off
2) Shock doctor forearm guard
3) Nuttybuddy cup
4) pitching mask and/or mask/helmet combo (I use a rip-it mask but on a modified old MC brain-bucket helmet)

shin/knee guards & cup are a must when pitching. I highly recommend a forearm guard as well. These cost about $10 & you won't even know its there. Last season our pitcher took a direct shot to his forearm & broke his ulna bone. Lots of debate on whether or not to use a pitching mask or mask/helmet combo. Pretty much comes down to what type of league you are playing in, level of competition & type of bats being used.

As stated above get a pitching screen for bp. nothing worse than having one of your own teammates taking you out for a season in bp. I went with a bownet I-screen ($140), super light & portable but pretty much anything out there is better than nothing.
JJ

1) Fox launch shin/knee combo pads (made for mountain biking) - very light weight with great protection, fairly easy to take on/off
2) Shock doctor forearm guard
3) Nuttybuddy cup
4) pitching mask and/or mask/helmet combo (I use a rip-it mask but on a modified old MC brain-bucket helmet)

shin/knee guards & cup are a must when pitching. I highly recommend a forearm guard as well. These cost about $10 & you won't even know its there. Last season our pitcher took a direct shot to his forearm & broke his ulna bone. Lots of debate on whether or not to use a pitching mask or mask/helmet combo. Pretty much comes down to what type of league you are playing in, level of competition & type of bats being used.

As stated above get a pitching screen for bp. nothing worse than having one of your own teammates taking you out for a season in bp. I went with a bownet I-screen ($140), super light & portable but pretty much anything out there is better than nothing.
JJ

I guess our 2 previous pitchers took shots in the face, one in the eye, and they other broke his jaw. Our team has a pitching mask now. Gonna try it out this weekend.