Protein diet?

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Thats what I read, Its just calories in calories out, Do you think the quality of those calories matter for not health but weight loss?

And how about intermittent fasting?

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
I get chubby, crash diet, get chubby again, crash diet, etc. It's fun...

How's the crash "cruise" diet coming along? Gonna be able to rock the Speedo on the Lido deck??? Lol.

I was never confused. Just want to highlight for someone that might mistake 2.2/kg for 2.2/lb.
I should have clarified that I wasn't disagreeing with your post

Oh, ok. Sorry about that. Yeah, I just like the 1g/kg because it's easier then 0.5/lb. and/or 0.8/kg. Gotta dummy it down so I can understand it!

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats what I read, Its just calories in calories out, Do you think the quality of those calories matter for not health but weight loss?

And how about intermittent fasting?

A great new article on tnation today. Some parts come off as a little 'bro-sciency' and other parts could use further explanation, but I think the the article as a whole is great. I've found that for myself, and my yoying weight, it pretty much hits the nail right on the head. There's a lot more to it than just calories in vs out.

a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

Here's what you need to know...

•  Anyone that says calories don't matter has zero credibility. But anyone who claims calories are all that matter has even less credibility.
•  Balance the metabolism first, then worry about calories if needed. Hunger, energy, and cravings (HEC) are your keys to understanding your metabolism and working with it, rather than against it.
•  The combo of sugar, fat, and salt will short circuit your appetite centers, turning that "cheat meal" into a cheat week, or worse.
•  The idea that calorie excess always leads to fat gain and calorie reduction always leads to fat loss is not accurate.
•  The standard "eat less, exercise more" approach to dieting leads to about 20-50% loss of lean tissue.
•  The quality of food you eat can directly affect the future efficiency of your metabolism.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
A great new article on tnation today. Some parts come off as a little 'bro-sciency' and other parts could use further explanation, but I think the the article as a whole is great. I've found that for myself, and my yoying weight, it pretty much hits the nail right on the head. There's a lot more to it than just calories in vs out.

a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

Here's what you need to know...

•  Anyone that says calories don't matter has zero credibility. But anyone who claims calories are all that matter has even less credibility.
•  Balance the metabolism first, then worry about calories if needed. Hunger, energy, and cravings (HEC) are your keys to understanding your metabolism and working with it, rather than against it.
•  The combo of sugar, fat, and salt will short circuit your appetite centers, turning that "cheat meal" into a cheat week, or worse.
•  The idea that calorie excess always leads to fat gain and calorie reduction always leads to fat loss is not accurate.
•  The standard "eat less, exercise more" approach to dieting leads to about 20-50% loss of lean tissue.
•  The quality of food you eat can directly affect the future efficiency of your metabolism.

That was a good article, Thanks....... It was always hard for me to believe a calorie is a calorie.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
How's the crash "cruise" diet coming along? Gonna be able to rock the Speedo on the Lido deck??? Lol.

My wife said she bought me a Speedo and I told her I wasn't wearing that thing. Turns out it was a Speedo brand normal style. I'll update my log...

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Good point.

I mean, why post a thoughtful response when it's easier to not read the article, dismiss it, and then rebut with a broken link...:rolleyes:

Damn iPad messing up my links again!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/wellness/story/2012-07-24/ellie-krieger-eating/56465240/1

As I've said before, posting "studies" from t-nation and bb.com should be a bannable offense! They may have some good info in their logs, but their "studies" leave much to be desired.

So by that study's logic, I will recieve all the energy I need to perform exercises at the highest possible intensity off of fat? Combined with the raising of my body heat from the protein I am ingesting the fat will just melt away?

Nobody burns "just fat". It is a matter of losing weight. One will burn more fat AS A PERCENTAGE just by exercising in the morning, before eating and at a low intensity. One will burn more CALORIES by eating prior to exercise (preferably GOOD CARBS) and at a higher intenstiy.

The main goal for overweight individuals should be to BURN CALORIES, not getting confused with burning fat. Two ways to burn more calories is to increase exercise time and/or increase exercise intensity. In order to increase intensity and maximize performance, the body needs to be fueled by CARBS.

So maybe I have less then zero credibility according to t-nation (I probably have a credibility just above zero, but definitely not zero!!!) because I am of the belief that one can not lose weight by having a positive caloric intake, one can ONLY lose weight by having a negative caloric intake.

Last edited:

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Damn iPad messing up my links again!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/wellness/story/2012-07-24/ellie-krieger-eating/56465240/1

As I've said before, posting "studies" from t-nation and bb.com should be a bannable offense. They may have some good info in their blogs, but their "studies" leavemuch to be desired.

So by that study's logic, I will recieve all the energy I need to perform exercises at the highest possible intensity off of fat? Combined with the raising of my body heat from the protein I am ingesting the fat will just melt away?

Nobody burns "just fat". It is a matter of losing weight. One will burn more fat AS A PERCENTAGE just by exercising in the morning, before eating, at a low intensity. One will burn more CALORIES by eating prior to exercise (preferably GOOD CARBS) and at a higher intenstiy.

The main goal for overweight individuals should be to BURN CALORIES, not get confused with burning fat. Two ways to burn more calories is to increase exercise time and/or increase exercise intensity. In order to increase intensity, the body needs to be fueled by CARBS.

So maybe I have less then zero credibility according to t-nation because I am of the belief that one can not lose weight by having a positive caloric intake, one can ONLY lose weight by having a negative caloric intake.

Okay. I now see that you missed the point completely.

Do you really think that the website an article is posted on is enough, in and of itself, to judge the merit of it's content.

The author is a doctor and included citations. You're a **** on softball message board. I'm sure you're hunches are much more credible.

I'm not sure where you're getting that it is a "study" or how you're coming to the extremely over-simplified conclusion that you've determined this "study" is claiming. At no point did this "Study" claim anything close to being able to lose "weight" while in a caloric surplus. It does touch on being able to burn fat while still possibly being in a slight caloric surplus, which may or may not result in overall weight loss. But even that isn't the point of the article.

But from other posts yours that seems to be your m.o., so carry on.