Protein powder ingredients and why...

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
i been using the Muscletech brand with BCAA’s and its been helping me recover a lot easier after workouts. I know this isn’t necessarily the best one, and it might be crap to some of you guys who are more experienced in the fitness world.

What should i look for in protein powders?

Any ones that you recommend that are better than the one i have, but doesn’t break the bank too hard.

I’m doing all bodyweight workouts that way i can do it whenever i get breaks in my busy schedule...Any help is appreciated bros!

4xtra

Player/Coach
I used MET-RX for years.. I add 1-2 eggs and Leucine to the shake then blend it.
Met-RX is kinda old school but it works.
Many of the powders out now are actually made from the same manufacterer but they switch the brand name on the container.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Been a while since I've used any or read any articles on new stuff but from purely a whey prospective when reading the label: hydrolyzed, isolate, then concentrate is the order of best to not as good. The hydrolyzed stuff was really expensive so i used isolate. Think of it as orange juice. The oj from concentrate is a little real oj mixed with a bunch of crap.

WarHorse

Star Player
Almost all of your whey protein has BCAAs, but it's still a good idea to supplement BCAAs for recovery. Muscletech makes a very good product, I'm a big fan of their Shatter SX-7 pre-workout, their Clear Muscle, their Alpha Test, and their SX-7 Multivitamin. Hydroxycut is another great product for cutting. Their proteins though are extremely lackluster and leave me wanting.

The best protein I've found has been ON Pro Series Extreme Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Mocha, and Vanilla Icecream. They mix really well in a shaker cup, but they do have some sugars so if you're trying to avoid sugar they're not for you (unless you're diabetic, don't avoid sugar).

My current lifting and vitamin stack is:
Six Star Creatine Pills (6/day)
Muscletech Alpha Test (4 day)
Muscletech Clear Muscle (4/day)
Muscletech SX-7 Multivitamin (2/day half dose)
Muscletech Pure Fish Oil (was the cheapest option I could get (3/day)

I drink ON Amino Energy during the day (lemonaide best flavor, mix it with sparkling water for best taste)
Musclepharm Combat Crunch bars (peanutbutter) if I need or want a sweet snack

SX-7 Shatter Pre-workout (1 scoop)

ON Gold Standard whey post workout

I've also had good success with these brands:
Animal (especially Animal Test and Animal Cuts)
EVL
Redcon1 (their big noise and pre-workout are amazing together)
Jym pre workout and intra workout

And I get all my supps at bodybuilding.com (I've found the price is the best and they have great deals so I buy in bulk when they have huge deals. Last big deal I got 15lbs of protein for the cost of 10)

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Been a while since I've used any or read any articles on new stuff but from purely a whey prospective when reading the label: hydrolyzed, isolate, then concentrate is the order of best to not as good. The hydrolyzed stuff was really expensive so i used isolate. Think of it as orange juice. The oj from concentrate is a little real oj mixed with a bunch of crap.

Almost all of your whey protein has BCAAs, but it's still a good idea to supplement BCAAs for recovery. Muscletech makes a very good product, I'm a big fan of their Shatter SX-7 pre-workout, their Clear Muscle, their Alpha Test, and their SX-7 Multivitamin. Hydroxycut is another great product for cutting. Their proteins though are extremely lackluster and leave me wanting.

The best protein I've found has been ON Pro Series Extreme Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Mocha, and Vanilla Icecream. They mix really well in a shaker cup, but they do have some sugars so if you're trying to avoid sugar they're not for you (unless you're diabetic, don't avoid sugar).

My current lifting and vitamin stack is:
Six Star Creatine Pills (6/day)
Muscletech Alpha Test (4 day)
Muscletech Clear Muscle (4/day)
Muscletech SX-7 Multivitamin (2/day half dose)
Muscletech Pure Fish Oil (was the cheapest option I could get (3/day)

I drink ON Amino Energy during the day (lemonaide best flavor, mix it with sparkling water for best taste)
Musclepharm Combat Crunch bars (peanutbutter) if I need or want a sweet snack

SX-7 Shatter Pre-workout (1 scoop)

ON Gold Standard whey post workout

I've also had good success with these brands:
Animal (especially Animal Test and Animal Cuts)
EVL
Redcon1 (their big noise and pre-workout are amazing together)
Jym pre workout and intra workout

And I get all my supps at bodybuilding.com (I've found the price is the best and they have great deals so I buy in bulk when they have huge deals. Last big deal I got 15lbs of protein for the cost of 10)

I appreciate the info...def gonna look into Hydrolyzed protein...

I’m gonna look into a custom stack for my needs. Thanks for the details on yours Warhorse...gonna check that site too...

WarHorse

Star Player
Protein is overrated. The foods you eat are much more important. And when you eat them.

True and untrue. Your body never gets enough quick-digesting protein from meats, and it never gets enough creatine from meats either. You need to supplement. The truth though is that if you're going for gains, clean eating and eating a lot will do more for you than just a protein shake and a box of ho-hos.

Country469

You can also eat before you lift too. The bio availability of protein powder is pretty comical. If you take two scoops for 50 grams after a lift, if you use 20 gs of that you're doing well. Its honesty quite a scam. You can lean out, add muscle and improve test levels through intermittent fasting and be just as well off.

4xtra

Player/Coach
You can also eat before you lift too. The bio availability of protein powder is pretty comical. If you take two scoops for 50 grams after a lift, if you use 20 gs of that you're doing well. Its honesty quite a scam. You can lean out, add muscle and improve test levels through intermittent fasting and be just as well off.
there is alot of truth to what you said and many people are not aware of that.
This is the very reason on why IF you do take supplemental protein,
you have to take Whey and casein together because the absorption rates vary..
Whey very fast,
Casein very slow.

dunkky

Protein is overrated. The foods you eat are much more important. And when you eat them.

this. if you can meet your daily quota of protein from your natural food. that's the best thing no question. Otherwise, if u don't execute a perfect diet plan like me, next best thing is powder.. BTW, whey used to be trash and thrown away until someone discovered, hey let's make this trash into gold.

WarHorse

Star Player

IF you eat, make it carbs and light on acids or you're gonna be seeing dinner again quickly :p I train fasted, better lifts and gains and less fatigue. Your body doesn't need all 50g of protein from the shake, correct. I only mix one scoop with a glass of skim milk but because protein absorbs quickly, I drink it often.

Casein is another good protein product, best at bedtime, but only if you can stomach it. It's otherwise entirely disgusting, has the consistency of pancake batter, and tastes about as good. It helps you "stay anabolic" but really the same results can be achieved by any slow digesting protein, like cottage cheese. I don't personally take anything at bedtime because otherwise I'll wake up with gut rot, but everyone's results vary differently and widely. I know dudes who swear by casein, and others who swear by plant protein.

WarHorse

Star Player
27658043_1871568159542566_3784930042768791056_n.jpg

Speaking of tacos.

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule One has one of the cleanest proteins. Not extremely expensive and lots of flavors.

One of the things I do to help with post workout soreness or lack there of is add BCAA's during the workout in a pill form. I also alternate between a traditional pre-workout and BCAA pre-workout.

WarHorse

Star Player
Rule One has one of the cleanest proteins. Not extremely expensive and lots of flavors.

One of the things I do to help with post workout soreness or lack there of is add BCAA's during the workout in a pill form. I also alternate between a traditional pre-workout and BCAA pre-workout.

But does it taste good? Nobody wants to hold their nose while eating dinner. Better tasting means better consumption habits.
Also BCAAs are vital for recovery. Don't skip leg day, and don't skip your BCAAs.

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
But does it taste good? Nobody wants to hold their nose while eating dinner. Better tasting means better consumption habits.
Also BCAAs are vital for recovery. Don't skip leg day, and don't skip your BCAAs.

Yes!

I personally like the Salted Carmel but have tried Vanilla and Chocolate and they were good. My biggest complaint with any protein is not completely mixing they do not have this problem. The Whey Isolate/Hydrolysate I believe is 87% pure.

WarHorse

Star Player
Good, mixability is important to me as well. I get great deals through EVL Nutrition and ON and they're great/mix well, but a little heavy on the sugars for some of the flavors, but I'll look into the ingredients list of Rule One and take a look to see if it makes sense. Where do you get yours through?

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been buying their product from Sup-Zilla, but they also sell direct and I get emails from time to time with 30% codes.

WarHorse

Star Player
Protein is pretty much all created equal, if you like the way it tastes, cool run with it.

Not it's really not. Protein delivery and suspension is based on the isolate and amino chain additives. Some proteins add creatine, some have higher cholesterol, some artificial sweeteners. Some whey is from grass fed (for those who object to GMO or traditionally farmed dairy). Some comes in bars, some in shakes, some thicker some leaner. Just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's effective. Cheesecake tastes good and has some protein but it's not effective at lean muscle mass gain. Some proteins are high in carbs for body mass gain, some are low in carbs for cutting. The list goes on and on. It's not really about what tastes good, but what tastes good determines if you keep using it or not. The end goal is to find the best tasting whey with the best ingredient mix to support your goals.

Since I switched over to ON I've gained 5 lbs lean mass and am now firm at 6'2 225lbs. Before using on I wasn't gaining nearly as much (was using Kaged) taking about the same serving size. Now it's cutting season and ON protein is loaded with cholesterol and not a significant amount of fiber.

Country469

You're walking supplement commerical man, its time to learn about actual nutrition rather than what they tell you lol. You realize you're giving a protein powder you are using half of the credit for your cutting. Lol. Sorry. Protein powders are for specific post things, you don't need them at all. Its a macros game. The difference in most protein scoops will be maybe 20-30 cals tops, so even if you take 4 scoops a day which would be a huge waste of money, your talking about max 120 cals now? No sorry. You're regurgitating what a non fda regulated industry is telling you. I used have ON as a client for a few years in chicago, they all buy whey from the same sources and mark it up 10000%

Country469

Do you work out fasted?

Yes- take one scoop of protein after lifting, and some bcaas before and during, they aren't really about recovery so much as they are protecting your body from using broken down muscle tissue (which is far easier than burning fat) . Eat a lean protein meal with some fruit directly after.

No- you don't really need protein, just eat a lean complete meal within an hour of a workout.

Supplements are meant to supplement, not take the place of actual nutrition. If you're taking more than 2 scoops of protein a day you're likely wasting a lot of money.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Lots of interesting thoughts in here. I used to be a supp guy and having the pleasure of working with a dietitian and learning more about the topic, I’m down to one scoop protein a day to supplement my diet/goals. All that other stuff is a waste of money IMO because do we as customers really know what is in the product? I only use certified protein (drug testing at work) so I’m fairly certain it contains what it says it does.

cman524

I have to second the recommendation for any whey from myprotein. I have personally tried and enjoyed their natural vanilla, butter pecan, salted caramel, and rocky road flavors. They are a trusted company and I have been buying/using their products for the past three years and have never been let down.

To go along with what some others are saying, no you really do not need protein powder. I would recommend trying to get all or most of your protein from whole foods, and then use protein powder to supplement your intake if it is needed. The only supplement I would really recommend is creatine because it is relatively cheap and it has been widely tested and proven effective and safe.