Any Protest?

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
Call made by Blue.

(It was wrong but I don't care.)

As player called out I query how the umpire could have seen the tag (I was going back into 3rd, 3rd base player tags me in chest, Umpire is at Home Plate so vision is blocked by my slide. I am the only runner so no excuses for still being there.)

No bad words or language, just a query of how could he see it from there (wrong I know but hardly bad) and his response was "Serves you right.."

Protest time? For clearly not calling impartially?

Dexb0t

Entertainer
Depends on what he really meant by that. Not sure how you would know that though haha. Did anything happen before the incident to cause him to say that? (Bad mouthing, sportsmanship, running up the score, etc)?

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
Point is more that saying anything like that can call any further judgements into question.

And no. Nothing before that at all.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like a case of "I called you out because of stupid baserunning." He probably shouldn't have told you that, though. Still making a judgment call, though, which you can't protest.

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not the call itself I would be protesting though...the call I don't really care about. That's life.

The game management and the comment are the problem as it can (as I said) be taken so many ways and call into question every other play after that.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not the call itself I would be protesting though...the call I don't really care about. That's life.

The game management and the comment are the problem as it can (as I said) be taken so many ways and call into question every other play after that.

You can't protest that. You can only protest implementation of rules. Talk to you're league's director if you feel that he is being impartial. I, however, think the umpire was trying to have fun and you've taken it way too seriously.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope

You can protest on three things, mis-interpretation of a playing rule, illegal player and in-elligible player.

Lodging a protest for being a douche is unlikely to do anything except drop money into your leagues account. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is the tag call was judgement based and so cannot be touched. Questioning him in the way you did will do nothing for you except annoy him and that could result in the snap answer back that you got. If you think he is biased then you can always complain to the UIC or league structure but without others complaining it will simply look like a player crying because a call didn't go his way.

My advice is to suck it up, shake his hand after the game and congratulate him on an excellent game because sure as **** he will be out umpiring you at another game and maybe......just maybe he might be nicer to you next time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
No meny transfer from us. League doesn't work like that.

Either way protest wouldn't work. Fine by me. Just thought I would ask as whilst I should know I couldn't remember.

And you know him IrishBlue. Someone who should know better considering their position.

And a question is allowed, didn't shout, didn't throw toys or anything. To go with a snap answer doesn't show very clever management of the game especially when he knows as well as most he was caught out being in the wrong place.

Can't call what you can't see (but clearly he felt he could.)

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Dangerous ground

Phoenix, your question might have been nice and polite but I would point out a couple of things:

1: You don't know what he could or couldn't see, you are guessing. Guessing is what gets people into trouble, players and umpires alike. This is 100% judgement and it's best to leave it alone

2: Everything coming up to that point should also be considered. You questioned how could the umpire see the call, however nice you may have been, if the rest of the players have been on his case up to this point then all he will hear is "Are you BLIND Blue????"

3: It's unfortunate that he might have been out of position but maybe he had slid down the line and figured only a mad man would push for third and retreated back to home when the play at third then developed. Maybe you were the one out of position? :rolleyes:;)

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
You clearly haven't read what I have said. I occupied 3rd. Therefore there is no way he would be thinking only "A madman" would push for 3rd. I already had it.

Guessing yes but answer me this.

1.) Could you (from home) see me being tagged in the chest sliding BACK to 3rd (ie away from home and towards the outfield) and see my foot position, considering that I am sliding directly up the line to the bag with the 3rd base player running directly along the line? Not sure how. But like I said initially I DO NOT care about the call. I take whatever is called and walk off generally (and whilst you won't know who I am on here you have umpired me a number of times.)

2.) No one has said anything to him all game. It was a game with no incidents and this was the only one of the night. There is no background in anyone saying anything. So it's clearly a comment against me, not in general.

As for being out of position by me quite probably, but I do know how far I can stretch something and when to get back. I made it, considering all the opposition IF agreed with me I feel slightly justified in my opinion on that one. But still, that's not my gripe at all.

Guys leave the call out of the question. That is not my problem, I got called out. It's not the first time and won't be the last. But when a very senior UK umpire (also ISF qualified) comes out with a comment along those lines I believe it is wrong.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
My apologies

You clearly haven't read what I have said. I occupied 3rd. Therefore there is no way he would be thinking only "A madman" would push for 3rd. I already had it.

I mis-read it, and for that I apologise.

Guessing yes but answer me this.

1.) Could you (from home) see me being tagged in the chest sliding BACK to 3rd (ie away from home and towards the outfield) and see my foot position, considering that I am sliding directly up the line to the bag with the 3rd base player running directly along the line? Not sure how. But like I said initially I DO NOT care about the call. I take whatever is called and walk off generally (and whilst you won't know who I am on here you have umpired me a number of times.)

Possibly, possibly not. Judgement call so it's a HTBT call. The umpire isn't based at home but 5-10 feet behind home so it's possible to see down the line of the bag at three. Personally I wouldn't want to make all my calls from that far away but sometimes I do.

2.) No one has said anything to him all game. It was a game with no incidents and this was the only one of the night. There is no background in anyone saying anything. So it's clearly a comment against me, not in general.

As for being out of position by me quite probably, but I do know how far I can stretch something and when to get back. I made it, considering all the opposition IF agreed with me I feel slightly justified in my opinion on that one. But still, that's not my gripe at all.

Guys leave the call out of the question. That is not my problem, I got called out. It's not the first time and won't be the last. But when a very senior UK umpire (also ISF qualified) comes out with a comment along those lines I believe it is wrong.

Ok. I now have a better idea on this and the comment was probably meant as a funny (There are only a couple of umpires it could be and I suspect only one of them would say this).

Knowing these things I think that the comment, at a different time, might have been received differently. Umpires can sometimes josh around with players and develop an easy rapport with players they see often. Sometimes this can bite them in the ass (I got bitten in the ass last night from something similar).

I think it's something you could say to the umpire along the lines of "I didn't appreciate your response" and he will probably take it on the chin.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
A side question

How on earth did you work out who I was? ;)

Will you be in the Czech republic in a week and a bit?

MaverickAH

I'm reading this with mild amusement. This is an occurrence that, I'd venture, happens thousands of times every weekend. Why you think that yours is something special that needs to be reported here is beyond me. All I can tell you is this:

1. Try not to put yourself in a position that gives the umpire a close or difficult call. If you do, just accept the results.
  2. Even if you disagree with the call. just give it a, "You missed that one Blue" or a "Bad call Blue", and just keep it moving.
  3. There are 2 things an umpire is always looking for are strikes & outs. They are what keeps a game moving so now that you know this, refer back to #1........
  4. Something tells me that you were baiting a throw. I could be wrong about it but I don't think so. Again, see #1.......

As others have told you, you can't protest a judgment call. You definitely can't protest what I'd view as a relatively innocuous comment! The fact that it upset you so much that you would bring it to this board & even think of lodging some sort of official protest or complaint tells me that you take this game much too seriously. My advice to you would be to step away, get some perspective & come back with a different attitude.

This is an occurrence that, I'd venture, happens thousands of times every weekend. Why you think that yours is something special that needs to be reported here is beyond me.

Thats for sure.

Get over it man~

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Is it a one umpire league?
You said you were the only runner so that means you either hit a triple and made a wide turn at third and they threw behind you or you tagged up on a fly ball and they threw behind you?

spos21ram

The Legend
As others have said, this is quite common for league umpires to have a friendly re-pore with the players. I don't know if his comment was in just fun or if he really was serious about it. Why didn't you just talk to him after the game about it and see if he has a problem with you or his team.

If you really think he has something against your team or you, once again talk to him, but you can also let your LD know about the situation. As an LD, I would look into it, but I mostly likely would tell you quit whining and play the game...in a nice way ofcourse :)

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Serves you right could just mean it was a close call that should never have occured if not for your base running faux pas

Simple as that. Let it go.

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
How on earth did you work out who I was? ;)

Will you be in the Czech republic in a week and a bit?

There are only a couple of Irish Umpires European qualified (so far as I know!) and 1, I believe that is ISF (which I am assuming to be you!)

No not in Czech, came out of GB SP a year or so ago after the last Europeans and the shenanigans there. Making mroe progress with GB FP also...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
As player called out I query how the umpire could have seen the tag (I was going back into 3rd, 3rd base player tags me in chest, Umpire is at Home Plate so vision is blocked by my slide. I am the only runner so no excuses for still being there.)

Exactly, and I mean exactly, where was the umpire? Where did you want him to be?

No bad words or language, just a query of how could he see it from there (wrong I know but hardly bad) and his response was "Serves you right.."

You are right, he shouldn't have said that. Then again, he shouldn't have said anything and not even acknowledge your query. The call was made, it wasn't going to change, so you should have done exactly what you claim to do, accept it and move on

Really? You are going to accuse the umpire of cheating? Good luck with that.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
More than 1

Phoenix,

There are currently 3 ESF qualified Irish umpires for slow pitch.
Two of us are also ISF qualified.
There are (AFAIK) three UK umpires who are ISF slow pitch qualified.

You have sparked my curiosity about who made the call because I like to know these things. Two of them haven't been doing midweek games so if it happened at a tournament it could have been 2 of the 3 but if it was a mid week game then it's only 1 but in all cases I think that it was probably meant in a jocular manner, but not sure it came across that way (Obviously for you to be posting here) nor am I sure it was totally appropriate.

Back to the original query though, no it's not protestable but you can always complain or register your displeasure and I am fairly sure it wasn't meant in a negative or derisory way.

far far away ..

Addicted to Softballfans
There are only a couple of Irish Umpires European qualified (so far as I know!) and 1, I believe that is ISF (which I am assuming to be you!)

No not in Czech, came out of GB SP a year or so ago after the last Europeans and the shenanigans there. Making mroe progress with GB FP also...

Just catching up after Czech, hence the long delay before re-opening this thread. 50% chance you're wrong on this as there are 2 of us ISF qualified this year. Are you thinking a Blue that's been around a while or one who came on the UK/Euro scene a couple of years ago?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans

Lollollollollollollol :rolleyes:

I hate this game.

He had to call something, he chose to call you out. Get used to it.

The fact is that you will get an equal number of wrong calls that go your way.....unless you are a whiner/loudmouth/doughebag. Then you can expect to get what you deserve :D

Umps aren't magical creatures that have the ability to see all and know all. They are just a bunch of knuckleheads just like you and me....well, more like you. You can't play a game without someone to make those calls so you appoint someone and roll with it. That's how the game is played.