Pujols signs with the Angels

Treb

Retired
That's good.. He can take his statue, and his restaurant with him.
All about the money!! Not pride, or respect of the community you represent, Not the fact your organizations are here but........Stupid money! Have fun in the worst div in baseball AP, Winning 1st place around .500 and dipping in the first round to the Yanks, Rays, Twins, or Tigers.. Take your pick, That should be fun.
He won't ever have the fan support system in LA like he had in Cardinal Nation.

I guess it's time to pick up Jimmy Rollins. What else is out there to spend money on?

damn, someone is bitter. :D

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
I still think PooHoles is older than we think by 2-3 years. My prediction is his numbers drop off quickly around 2014.

Fudbelty

I Invented the Budle Play
All about the money!! Not pride, or respect of the community you represent, Not the fact your organizations are here but........Stupid money! Have fun in the worst div in baseball AP, Winning 1st place around .500 and dipping in the first round to the Yanks, Rays, Twins, or Tigers.. Take your pick, That should be fun.

I guess it's time to pick up Jimmy Rollins. What else is out there to spend money on?

hahahahahahahahaha butthurt are we. Because the winners of the West have done sooooo poorly in the post season.

Peacock

DBOTY 2011

Without Pujols the Cardinals would have been a marginalized team since 2005.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
It's odd how the Angels bid against themselves. With the Marlins bowing out at 220 and the Cardinals at around 200 this is a huge jump.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
damn, someone is bitter. :D

hahahahahahahahaha butthurt are we. Because the winners of the West have done sooooo poorly in the post season.

Without Pujols the Cardinals would have been a marginalized team since 2005.

Yes.. I am bitter and butthurt over this, This makes no sense other than it's a $$$ move. It's just reaffirms with me how full of crap he is when he tells the public one thing and does another. So if Didi and Albert want LA.. Have it.. Enjoy it because loyalty in that city comes with a price tag.

Without Pujols.. I think we'll be fine, There are other Free Agents to spend money on, Trade opportunities, Cards can sign Wainwright (Per mid season performance) to a long term contract. Jimmy Rollins can fill a SS position and hit leadoff, Berkman will be the 1B now and probably get a 1 year extention. Wonder what good OF's are out there that we can deal for?

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Wonder if Jeff Luhnow leaving for HOU had anything to do with his decision

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
Yes.. I am bitter and butthurt over this, This makes no sense other than it's a $$$ move. It's just reaffirms with me how full of crap he is when he tells the public one thing and does another. So if Didi and Albert want LA.. Have it.. Enjoy it because loyalty in that city comes with a price tag.

Without Pujols.. I think we'll be fine, There are other Free Agents to spend money on, Trade opportunities, Cards can sign Wainwright (Per mid season performance) to a long term contract. Jimmy Rollins can fill a SS position and hit leadoff, Berkman will be the 1B now and probably get a 1 year extention. Wonder what good OF's are out there that we can deal for?

Yeah, St.Louis is a far nicer place to play when you get into your late 30s than LA.
If you are a Hispanic, you really dislike the fact that LA has a large Spanish speaking community.

bdb13

Addicted to Softballfans
Wasn't he gonna sign with the Cards last Friday??? Hmm, thought we had an inside source...

Fudbelty

I Invented the Budle Play
Wasn't he gonna sign with the Cards last Friday??? Hmm, thought we had an inside source...

His insides got torn out and then said the AL West is the worst division in baseball that gets knocked out in the first round every year.

Beer_Leaguer

Not Drunk.
I still can't beleive the Cards would just trade away the face of thier franchise like this. And for nothing in return to boot.

Utility Man

Addicted to Softballfans
As a Cardinals fan, I can't put into words how happy I am. I been saying it since spring training, you are either a Cardinals fan or a Pujols fan. My side won.

I'm happy that Pujols got his money but St. Louis had him at a great price during his prime years. IMO there is no reason for any Cardinals fan to be mad at A.P.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm so confused by this signing. I guess if i knew the lengths of their current contracts it would be easier (or harder) to understand. They're crippled by Wells' $26mil a year deal. Hunter is making like $18mil but i think he's retiring soon. Abreu makes what about $9mil/year. Til When? Weaver is gonna command big bucks when he becomes a free agent. Whenever that is. For now they look bad in the bullpen, only have 3 starters. When some of this money becomes freed up from Wells and Hunter, they'll need to spend it on Weaver, while laying out $25mil/year to a 35-37 y/o Pujols?

Who can find the contract lengths for Wells, Hunter, Abreu, Weaver?

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
As a Cardinals fan, I can't put into words how happy I am. I been saying it since spring training, you are either a Cardinals fan or a Pujols fan. My side won.

I'm happy that Pujols got his money but St. Louis had him at a great price during his prime years. IMO there is no reason for any Cardinals fan to be mad at A.P.

This is how I would look at it, too, if I were a Cards fan.
He did more for that organization than any player since Musial.
Fact.

Gucci17

Coach

This is the best post in this thread IMO

Utility Man

Addicted to Softballfans
I still can't beleive the Cards would just trade away the face of thier franchise like this. And for nothing in return to boot.

The face of the franchise is the birds on the bat. Nothing more, nothing less.

Whats more important to true Yankee's fans? Jeter or the pin stripes? Yes, the national media relates Pujols to the Cardinals. I could personally care less about that east/west coast bias coverage as long as St. Louis is still winning the occasional division.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

Everything is about money. The Cardinals don't want him so they can have his offspring, they want him b/c THEY make money off him. Holy Christ!!!!!!! Of course it's about money..... :rolleyes:

Utility Man

Addicted to Softballfans
This is how I would look at it, too, if I were a Cards fan.
He did more for that organization than any player since Musial.
Fact.

Yep, and he was never the top paid player during this time. AP doesn't owe the city of St. Louis ****. I guess he could be grateful for playing in front of a sold out crowd most nights.

I think Cardinals ownership over extended with their 200/10 offer because of his prior performance. The 250-260 was too much but I feel ownership tried their best to keep him here.

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
Yep, and he was never the top paid player during this time. AP doesn't owe the city of St. Louis ****. I guess he could be grateful for playing in front of a sold out crowd most night.

I think Cardinals ownership over extended with their 200/10 offer because of his prior performance. The 250-260 was too much but I feel ownership tried their best to keep him here.

Yeah, the Cards ****ed him over more than anything.
They got him on a total bargain deal, because he WAS loyal.
Now it's his turn to get what he deserves. Period.

Utility Man

Addicted to Softballfans
Angels just signed C.J. Wilson. GG Rangers, I was pulling for them to get to the W.S. three times in a row.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
It's odd how bitter the Cardinals fans are.

If you're from St. Louis you would know that we're on the top 3 in baseball towns in the country. We're Cardinal Nation here. Every other team (Blues, Rams) Could leave and no one would really care because the Cards are the pulse of St. Louis. It's what we do.. We are a big part of the fabric of America's pastime here.

If AP5 thought that way, He would have signed with St. Louis.. but we now see his true colors.. for what he is, Just another Manny Ramirez. Going where the check takes him to the highest bidder. Whomever opens their wallet fat enough I guess.

You know lately.. Watching the golden age of baseball on ESPN classic really brings this all into perspective. Hearing the stories of former MLB'ers that had to have normal jobs over the winter until spring training came and made a fraction of what these guys today make during the season only to do it all over again the next year. They played the game because they love it.. Not because they're getting paid astronomical amounts of money, Because they love the game. Where has that mentality gone?

Lucky34

Putting on the foil
If you're from St. Louis you would know that we're on the top 3 in baseball towns in the country. We're Cardinal Nation here. Every other team (Blues, Rams) Could leave and no one would really care because the Cards are the pulse of St. Louis. It's what we do.. We are a big part of the fabric of America's pastime here.

If AP5 thought that way, He would have signed with St. Louis.. but we now see his true colors.. for what he is, Just another Manny Ramirez. Going where the check takes him to the highest bidder. Whomever opens their wallet fat enough I guess.

You know.. Watching the golden age of baseball on ESPN classic really brings this all into perspective. Hearing the stories of former MLB'ers that had to have normal jobs over the winter until spring training came and made a fraction of what these guys today make during the season only to do it all over again the next year. They played the game because they love it.. Not because they're getting paid astronomical amounts of money, Because they love the game. Where has that mentality gone?

I stopped reading when I got to "Cardinal Nation".

I ****ing hate that whole "Nation" bull****!

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
What? He dealt with the minors/player development.

Still a valuable piece of a franchise

This is what happened: Pujols gave the cards a lot of years at a decent price for a player of his caliber. How many WS did he give them? It was time for him to get paid. Similar to what my White Sox just went through with Mark Buehrle.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

You know lately.. Watching the golden age of baseball on ESPN classic really brings this all into perspective. Hearing the stories of former MLB'ers that had to have normal jobs over the winter until spring training came and made a fraction of what these guys today make during the season only to do it all over again the next year. They played the game because they love it.. Not because they're getting paid astronomical amounts of money, Because they love the game. Where has that mentality gone?

So your contention is that the players should play for the love of the game at any price and the owners should get fat(ter) off them? A little myopic here......and comparing him to ManRam is ridiculous.

Peacock

DBOTY 2011

He stayed in St.Louis although they screwed him over and vastly underpaid him on his last deal, yet he still played like a true champion day in day out.