Pull up bar in your garage

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any of you ever mount a store bought one or make your own? I have the perfect spot for one, but everything I'm finding has them mounting from the ceiling and I just want a wall mount. I want to make sure it's got enough support though. I'd like it to be sturdy enough to hold 250 pounds easy.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
IMG_00000007_zps509522ab.jpg

Obviously this is on the ceiling but you could probably put something similar on your wall. The reason for 4 mounting points is those mounting brackets don't do well when a force comes from the side. they tend to snap.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I was afraid of. I might have to wiggle my fat ass up into the attic to put a brace on the ceiling as well.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I had to do. I reinforced the joists (they run perpendicular to the 2x6s u can see) with a 2x4 on each side and bolted through. I then lag bolted through the 2x6s into a reinforced joist. The 2x6s add some strength as well as another 1.5" of head clearance. I'm not at all concerned about movement. The other option would have been two brackets on the ceiling and two on the wall.

If you only want to use the wall, look into something like this

bomb-proof-wall-mounted-pull-up-bar_29260_400.jpg

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's exactly what I was looking for. I figured we'd have more do it yourselfers ready to show off their handi work. I just wanted an idea before I head off to Home Depot.

DSNuts48

Badass
You could make a stand alone pull up bar from wood and some pipe. Weld up some angle and a bar to make a bolt on. Or use wood, and brace it accordingly.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
If you wanted to do cheap and mobile:

2- 5 gal buckets
1- bag quickcrete
2- 1.5" steel pipe, 8'
2- 1.5" steel 90's
1- 1.5" steel pipe, 3'-4', just depends on how wide you want it