Punk move for church ball?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if half the umps don't know the rules. I sure don't. I just play by them. I've seen a couple of times infield fly called with just a runner at first. I've also seen 3 foot pitches called strikes. ****, I struck out on a 3 foot pitch one of the last games of the season waiting for blue to call it illegal.

So IF fly only if a runner is on 2? Or bases loaded up to second?

Runners on first and second and less than two outs at least. Can be bases loaded too.

blldwg23

Coach
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if half the umps don't know the rules. I sure don't. I just play by them. I've seen a couple of times infield fly called with just a runner at first. I've also seen 3 foot pitches called strikes. ****, I struck out on a 3 foot pitch one of the last games of the season waiting for blue to call it illegal.

So IF fly only if a runner is on 2? Or bases loaded up to second?

Easy way to remember is if there is a force at third and less than 2 outs INF fly can be called. So runners first and second or bases loaded.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
run out the ball and you don't have a problem. If you pull that crap on a Saturday youre going to get 2 turned on you 99% of the time.

This is correct. You got lazy and didn't run out an infield fly ball. That would piss me off far more than someone dropping a ball trying to get a cheap double play.

You should have been called out since you gave up and walked towards the dugout, hence being out of the baseline

This is totally wrong.

Agree here infield fly rule depending on outs... imo uncalled for in sp softball most decent umps would not even allow it to happen, yes could have been called out for attempt toward the dugout

This is also totally wrong. Not such rule as being out for attempt to go towards the dugout.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this the first time you've ever seen the intentional dropped fly for a double play?Technically, an infield fly is still a live ball...
Ok, technically, yes it is.

Even in ultra-competitive church ball you would do that? And yes, i knew it wasn't infield fly, though I wouldn't doubt some of my teamates probably thought it was since they haven't been playing long.

Generally I don't play church league because it isn't as fun for me. But if I did, I would probably still treat it the same way because it is the responsibility of the batter to run it out.. After all this is slowpitch softball and is a hitters game. I'll take extra outs whenever I can get them.

Wheels33

Coach
I made a few plays like this before. If you don't run out, I make you suffer!
Favorite play in one tourney I did. Playing RF. One out, man on first(fast runner). Batter(big slow guy) does a pop up to RF close to foul line. 200ft. I run under the ball, see the batter just half walking, runner staying 5 feet from first. Ball was fair by few feet, so I decided to let it bounce(pretending will catch it), drilled it to 2nd base(SS). the SS drills it to first. Double play! Batter realized it too late. Screams (F#%$%ing idiot!!) at me. I just smiled at him. :)
Dirty play??

wcoastsoftball

I made a few plays like this before. If you don't run out, I make you suffer!
Favorite play in one tourney I did. Playing RF. One out, man on first(fast runner). Batter(big slow guy) does a pop up to RF close to foul line. 200ft. I run under the ball, see the batter just half walking, runner staying 5 feet from first. Ball was fair by few feet, so I decided to let it bounce(pretending will catch it), drilled it to 2nd base(SS). the SS drills it to first. Double play! Batter realized it too late. Screams (F#%$%ing idiot!!) at me. I just smiled at him. :)
Dirty play??

Tournament or competitive/commercial, ok. But in a laid back church league?

AshAid28

Coach
Kinda Bush League move to a point but had he gotten the outcome he was trying for then a smart move IMHO. I don't think we should be too surprised though that this was Church Ball though.... Some of the most fierce softball out there is a Church ball league/team lol.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure you guys keep saying in tourneys this would fly but not church. The umpire should call this a deadball all day long. You cannot intentionally drop a ball to try and turn two, any decent ump should know this.

There is an unbelievable amount of dumb in here

thaynes

I live how since it's church ball it's a douche move. "You play....to win....The game". Run it out next time

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I would have purposely dropped it and thrown it away too. He saw that you swung as hard as you could but could only manage a weak pop fly to second base. He's a quicker thinker and thought it was church league so the Christian thing to do would be to allow you to get on base for once in this game. A nice, friendly gesture by him only to get berated by you with derogatory remarks when you reached second base. So in conclusion, yes, douche move on your part for hollering obscenities at him.

This weekend we played a team that has been stacking for quite a few years now. Obviously everyone guns to beat them, but it is amazing how many good softball players go to one church, lol. In other words, they were going to win.

Well anyways, I chased a bad short pitch and popped up to second baseman with a man on first. As I start walking towards dugout while ball is in air, I see 2nd deliberately drop it and try to turn two. Funny that the left side of his infield didn't realize what he was doing so he had no play a second. I start running to first and he throws it away, which moves us to second and third. While on second I proceed to tell him "nice church league play there" and nice throw. He says it was a smart play if he would have turned it. Personally I think if he would have tried that in a tournament, he would have been walking around with a bat up his behind the rest of the day. Then as we are wlking through the post game handshake, he bumps me a little harder than the others.

thoughts on this douche (he really is an idiot regardless) or was that a smart attempt?

Nothing wrong with the play, his teammates sound like idiots if no one was covering 2nd. Shoulda been an easy double play and would have been perfectly acceptable. I pitch and I get someone every so often who will hit it back to me and immediately walk to the dugout. So what I do is walk to 1st and step on the bag myself. People on the other team get pissed but it's the safest way to complete the play. The point being, if it's legal, and you put yourself in that position, don't be mad when the other team takes advantage.

The rest of it is uncalled for. I don't agree with ever criticizing another team's performance. What gives someone the right to criticize another team's players or performances?

And him bumping you is just moronic on his part and I myself would be offended. Personally, I'd just drop it and play on. I sympathize with ya about teams being in leagues they don't belong in. We generally get one traveling team a year in our league and we play pretty close to rec ball.

wcoastsoftball

I would have purposely dropped it and thrown it away too. He saw that you swung as hard as you could but could only manage a weak pop fly to second base. He's a quicker thinker and thought it was church league so the Christian thing to do would be to allow you to get on base for once in this game. A nice, friendly gesture by him only to get berated by you with derogatory remarks when you reached second base. So in conclusion, yes, douche move on your part for hollering obscenities at him.

I appreciate the courtesy of allowing me to touch base once. Much thanks!

Nothing wrong with the play, his teammates sound like idiots if no one was covering 2nd. Shoulda been an easy double play and would have been perfectly acceptable. I pitch and I get someone every so often who will hit it back to me and immediately walk to the dugout. So what I do is walk to 1st and step on the bag myself. People on the other team get pissed but it's the safest way to complete the play. The point being, if it's legal, and you put yourself in that position, don't be mad when the other team takes advantage.

The rest of it is uncalled for. I don't agree with ever criticizing another team's performance. What gives someone the right to criticize another team's players or performances?

And him bumping you is just moronic on his part and I myself would be offended. Personally, I'd just drop it and play on. I sympathize with ya about teams being in leagues they don't belong in. We generally get one traveling team a year in our league and we play pretty close to rec ball.

I was over it once I scored on the next hit, but still thought it was a douche move to drop it. Maybe if he just stood there and let it drop in front of him might be different? I didn't think I was critiquing their performance, no doubt a good team, just him screwing up something he tried to pull over in a "friendly" league where there was hardly any doubt they would win.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Douche move for sure. If he legitimately dropped the ball than I would say it was a head's up play, but to drop a SURE out in HOPES of turning two at any level is a douche move, but especially playing softball or baseball at any level other than PROFESSIONAL.

I compare this to having only 9 fielders. You play the OF as they normally would and just give up right or left field depending on who is batting. If a normally dead pull, right-handed power hitter comes up, and dinks one to RF because there is no one there, I think is about the most b**** play one can do in softball, what this guy attempted on you, is a close second.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Our umpires call it across the board regardless of association, and nobody has ever tried to look it up to dispute their call as it's a douche move and should be a DBO or a free base no matter what association.

If it wasn't a douche move Tom Emanski would teach us this way of fielding a pop up.

I guess it being a douche move trumps the rules...?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Amazing how much whinging there is in this thread. Everyone wants to talk about how its a douche move, you know what else is a douche move? Not running out a batted ball, this game has a way of punishing laziness and not making the minimum effort to make a half assed jog to 1st base is just lazy. Read the "Things that piss you off thread" and half the guys in there are pissed off whenever someone gives less than 100% hustle still we are all talking about how big a douche move dropping the ball is and ignore the fact that OP did his best Barry Bonds standing at the plate not running.

I'm not sure you guys keep saying in tourneys this would fly but not church. The umpire should call this a deadball all day long. You cannot intentionally drop a ball to try and turn two, any decent ump should know this.

There is an unbelievable amount of dumb in here

I believe this exists in the NSA rule book (I could be wrong) but in ASA or USSSA play if the fielder doesn't touch the ball there is no intentional drop rule. You might want to know the rules before you start calling other people names.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
"Run it out", "hustle" "give 100% on every play"....what a bunch of douche's...WestCoast is no slouch and did what every single one of us would have done in that situation...didn't know there were so many Church League ballers on here. I also agree with telling the 2B what he did...people are clueless to how dumb they really are unless they are informed.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
Amazing how much whinging there is in this thread. Everyone wants to talk about how its a douche move, you know what else is a douche move? Not running out a batted ball, this game has a way of punishing laziness and not making the minimum effort to make a half assed jog to 1st base is just lazy. Read the "Things that piss you off thread" and half the guys in there are pissed off whenever someone gives less than 100% hustle still we are all talking about how big a douche move dropping the ball is and ignore the fact that OP did his best Barry Bonds standing at the plate not running.

I believe this exists in the NSA rule book (I could be wrong) but in ASA or USSSA play if the fielder doesn't touch the ball there is no intentional drop rule. You might want to know the rules before you start calling other people names.

Maybe you should learn the rules before talking, rule 9 sec3.K, usssa rule, ball is dead if intentionally dropped, I know the rules.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
Or see 7 2-h as well
H. He hits a fair fly ball or line drive that an infielder intentionally drops, with a runner on first, runner on first and second, first, second and third, or on first and third with less than two outs. NOTE: A trapped ball that hits the ground is never ruled intentionally dropped.
EFFECT Sec. 2. H. The umpire shall immediately call the batter out (in a forceful manner) and the ball is dead.

Please know the rules before you call out people not knowing the rules.

And you post in the Umpire section too

Last edited:

wcoastsoftball

"Run it out", "hustle" "give 100% on every play"....what a bunch of douche's...WestCoast is no slouch and did what every single one of us would have done in that situation...didn't know there were so many Church League ballers on here. I also agree with telling the 2B what he did...people are clueless to how dumb they really are unless they are informed.

Well, they are entitled to their opinion, it was more frustration of swinging at a bad pitch. I have turned short pop ups in the outfield into 3 base errors, so I know it wasn't being lazy. And yes-I would tell him it was a beautifully un-executed play again if it happened again. If he wants to be a punk, I will let it sting a little more.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^I guess they are, lol! We've all been there before, and yes, if there is a next time, make it sting a little more!

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
First, some church teams are very good. Few years ago we took third at a national church tournament. We were a church of maybe 125 people but 9 out of 12 players were are immediate family (me, dad, uncles, cousins, brother, etc. then add on my future brother in law there you go). Talked to some guys on both the top two teams. Team that won had no clue where the church was located. Pretty much a tournament team using some random church one of the guys is affiliated with on their tournament schedule. The second was a 6,000 person mega church in Georgia that ran an entire league out of their church, then took the best and had two teams in this tournament. Out of six thousand youre likely to find 10-12 guys who play good ball. Especially if you then get the reputation for playing good ball and attract some ppl.

As for the play. Is a bush league play but starts with the ump not making proper call. It's the umps job to make the call and keep that from happening, but I can't really blame someone for trying when the ump doesn't do his job

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

If I understand this correctly, it's bush to hit against the shift?

Joker

Maybe you should learn the rules before talking, rule 9 sec3.K, usssa rule, ball is dead if intentionally dropped, I know the rules.

Or see 7 2-h as well
H. He hits a fair fly ball or line drive that an infielder intentionally drops, with a runner on first, runner on first and second, first, second and third, or on first and third with less than two outs. NOTE: A trapped ball that hits the ground is never ruled intentionally dropped.
EFFECT Sec. 2. H. The umpire shall immediately call the batter out (in a forceful manner) and the ball is dead.

Please know the rules before you call out people not knowing the rules.

And you post in the Umpire section too

in what was does not touching a ball = an intentionally dropped ball?

wcoastsoftball

in what was does not touching a ball = an intentionally dropped ball?

As I described in my particular play, the ball went into his glove as far as I could tell and he guided it in one motion to the ground. That was what I could tell from my peripheral vision as I turned away to head to the bench.

Joker

i was referring to what rhound said

As I described in my particular play, the ball went into his glove as far as I could tell and he guided it in one motion to the ground. That was what I could tell from my peripheral vision as I turned away to head to the bench.

in ASA as long as he didn't secure the catch its not an intentionally dropped ball