Purcell drilling Vitcak @ Windy City Major + Arguement

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Nobody is worried about you killing someone in a brawl tough guy. Get a mask, learn to field the position and STFU.

That's exactly the point. Pitchers on the other hand, have been killed. It's rare, but when you hit missiles at a pitcher you're putting him at risk of serious injury. If you're not certain that he is a serious pitcher on a serious team then, you should realize there is a very good chance that he will feel the need to defend himself. If you make me feel like I am at risk of coming to harm, I will not limit myself to what YOU are good at or comfortable with to deter you. I've seen teams see who could hit the pitcher the most times, and it's a lot more stupid and dangerous than taking care of it one on one or agreeing to cut that crap out.

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
You pitching is putting yourself at risk. There isnt much more to it. You keep fighting the good fight though. I think the guys are starting to see your side.....

-Six-

Weiner
i don't mind when people blow me up on accident. Playing against teams that try to hit the pitcher is some bs.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Tournaments it's part of the game. League night, I personally avoid middle. Only time I get pissed is if the team AB is up 20 and a guy steps around a pitch to go middle (I'll chew my own teammates for doing that). Always gotta be ready when pitching.

Also, why I won't go out there without my mask and cup. Gotta protect the money makers.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Same thing happened at choo choo classic here. Except bachman started it with middle shot to Purcell 1 hop off his face mask hard. but Collins then blew up middle about 4 other at bats and no F's were given that night.

Yeah right.. Vitak took his glove off and was about to throw it at Collins...

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
You pitching is putting yourself at risk. There isnt much more to it. You keep fighting the good fight though. I think the guys are starting to see your side.....

I get that end of it too believe me, but the game wasn't built around seeing if the pitcher is quick enough to save his life or his eyes etc.(a guy lost an eye out here a few years back). While it may have turned into that, there are certain levels and situations in which it is uncalled for. I am not a pitcher. I only pitch as a last resort. Even though the pitcher bears some responsibility, if you're hitting at him on purpose, you bear some as well. The higher the level of play, the more responsibility I place on the pitcher. If you're sandbagging the lowest level and putting a whooping on team and notice the pitcher is getting a little uneasy, and then you hit at him on purpose, you're very responsible for what happens. I bought a mask before I pitched again and now I'm not terribly worried about it. But the idea that you better have lightning fast reflexes to play the lowest level of a fat old man's sport is ridiculous. I'm not a fat old man yet, but when I agreed to pitch at the lowest level that's what myself an everyone else on that team expected, and it's what we got from all the other teams. If you wanna take pot shots at a pitcher in E league ball then you're trash, and you should expect to get some retaliation.

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
Middle is subjective at most levels.... Not these guys level though.

I'm a lefty and for some reason the d often gives me the 4 hole. Id rather run out a grounder than pop out so I pound the **** out of the 2b side with a laser shot here and there. I've come like 2-3 feet from the pitchers left side and get folks crying all the time... Then suddenly I'm worried about my pitcher.... It's bull****.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I pitch - I understand your point - but you seem to keep right on defending your UNSPORTSMANLIKE BEHAVIOR as the appropriate response to the situation (where you did nothing to prepare yourself for pitching)...

IF they are sandbagging and truly so much better than every other team in the division, collect together the rest of the poor playing teams and protest to the league director - make a case to him about it being dangerous and how they should be moved to a higher division...

Your personal danger is your own fault - Joe Smith who is just learning to hit, if he has power, can be just as dangerous to you IF HE ACCIDENTALLY HITS AT YOU as anyone else who does it on purpose... So you have to protect yourself in any case... WHICH YOU DIDN'T!!

Either get yourself in shape to pitch (see my tips in my signature) or load up with protective gear or find someone who knows what pitching is about... It's on you to protect yourself - don't make it someone else's responsibility - YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS regardless of the level of the league division...

NOW - Are you going to get the sandbaggers thrown out of the league or made to play up a division???

%%%

Marp09

Manager
Yeah right.. Vitak took his glove off and was about to throw it at Collins...

yea Collins was on a mission to hit middle every at bat. his third at bat we asked if it was intentional hitting middle and he just shrugged and said why did they hit at Purcell first.

Enor012208

Addicted to Softballfans
I think if you pitch in any league you better be ready for middle shots. Our pitcher can crush middle but never does bc he knows we will take care of it buy the time he gets up to bat our whole team has already made our point it's not a good idea by blowing middle on purpose and making it know that we will defend our pitcher. Every inning our pitcher puts his helmet on or no helmet and never says a word to the other team and is in a ready position every pitch. It's part of the game gotta trust your buddy's to have your back bc its going to happen. I try to never get mad at middle shots

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch - I understand your point - but you seem to keep right on defending your UNSPORTSMANLIKE BEHAVIOR as the appropriate response to the situation (where you did nothing to prepare yourself for pitching)...

IF they are sandbagging and truly so much better than every other team in the division, collect together the rest of the poor playing teams and protest to the league director - make a case to him about it being dangerous and how they should be moved to a higher division...

Your personal danger is your own fault - Joe Smith who is just learning to hit, if he has power, can be just as dangerous to you IF HE ACCIDENTALLY HITS AT YOU as anyone else who does it on purpose... So you have to protect yourself in any case... WHICH YOU DIDN'T!!

Either get yourself in shape to pitch (see my tips in my signature) or load up with protective gear or find someone who knows what pitching is about... It's on you to protect yourself - don't make it someone else's responsibility - YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS regardless of the level of the league division...

NOW - Are you going to get the sandbaggers thrown out of the league or made to play up a division???

%%%

They won't be moved, the play in every division. I didn't realize it because I had never played down. Our team broke up when I was in the oil field and when I came back, what's left of the team plus some new guys had gone from very competitive in our local C league to 0-10 in C, 6-4 in the only session of Church, and 5-5 in E league. I used to play four nights a week and there are 20-30 local guys that played C all four nights spread out over four or five different teams. They had loose affiliations with the teams they played for in league because they used it as practice for tourneys where they did have specific teams. What I didn't realize was that they also played for multiple teams every night, but in order to do that, they have to play in a different division. It turns out, there a few tourny teams, whose guys play in all divisions on various teams here, and those league teams are made up mostly of players from those tourny teams. You think the LD is gonna ask the guys playing in two or three divisions per night four nights per week are going to tell them they can only play in one division per night?

How is it unsportsmanlike of me to request that they cease intentionally hitting at me, and inform them what will happen if they don't? It's not like we one run behind and about to put a whooping on them if they couldn't hit at me.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I think if you pitch in any league you better be ready for middle shots. Our pitcher can crush middle but never does bc he knows we will take care of it buy the time he gets up to bat our whole team has already made our point it's not a good idea by blowing middle on purpose and making it know that we will defend our pitcher. Every inning our pitcher puts his helmet on or no helmet and never says a word to the other team and is in a ready position every pitch. It's part of the game gotta trust your buddy's to have your back bc its going to happen. I try to never get mad at middle shots

This is what I'm talking about. How do you have your pitchers's back? By hitting at a pitcher that didn't hit middle? Yes there are levels where intentionally hitting middle is to be expected, yes novices can hit middle by accident. I've never been angry at a guy going middle on me by accident. I recommend a helmet to anyone who is going to pitch. I still say that if you're going middle on purpose in league, and the pitcher isn't wearing a helmet, there's a good chance he doesn't realize the risk, and you out him at that risk on purpose is wrong.

I'm also not a pitcher and had probably pitched in less than five games in my life before the game in question, and they hadn't been consecutive or even all in the same season. Since purchasing the helmet you can bet it's harder for me to avoid pitching if a real pitcher can't be found for a game.

heat11114

Addicted to Softballfans
The best part to me is watching Reyna having to be restrained, surrounded by guys that have a ft and 100+lbs on him. LOL. It's always interesting to me to watch what the smallest guys do and watch what a guy like Harvey does.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They won't be moved, the play in every division. I didn't realize it because I had never played down. Our team broke up when I was in the oil field and when I came back, what's left of the team plus some new guys had gone from very competitive in our local C league to 0-10 in C, 6-4 in the only session of Church, and 5-5 in E league. I used to play four nights a week and there are 20-30 local guys that played C all four nights spread out over four or five different teams. They had loose affiliations with the teams they played for in league because they used it as practice for tourneys where they did have specific teams. What I didn't realize was that they also played for multiple teams every night, but in order to do that, they have to play in a different division. It turns out, there a few tourny teams, whose guys play in all divisions on various teams here, and those league teams are made up mostly of players from those tourny teams. You think the LD is gonna ask the guys playing in two or three divisions per night four nights per week are going to tell them they can only play in one division per night?

How is it unsportsmanlike of me to request that they cease intentionally hitting at me, and inform them what will happen if they don't? It's not like we one run behind and about to put a whooping on them if they couldn't hit at me.

Because you are a fielder on a field in a game where the other team hits it in your direction, and because you can't catch it you try and fight them. You're the guy that wants to fight when he gets dunked on because he sucks. You're the guy who wants to fight when you get juked out of your shorts in football. You are the unsportsmanlike crybaby in this situation.

It's not right to hit at pitchers? What about 3b? Can I hit it at OFers? Is the "rightness" of it based on how hard I hit, or how far away from the batter the fielder is? Your arguments are ridiculous.

It's not right to intentionally try and hurt any player, but hitting it where the fielders are not is also the purpose of the game. If they're hitting it right at you, aren't a lot of outs being made? If they're hitting it a few feet to your left or your right, they're not hitting it at you.

I'm also reasonably certain that more people have been accidentally killed in brawls than in softball games.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Because you are a fielder on a field in a game where the other team hits it in your direction, and because you can't catch it you try and fight them. You're the guy that wants to fight when he gets dunked on because he sucks. You're the guy who wants to fight when you get juked out of your shorts in football. You are the unsportsmanlike crybaby in this situation.

It's not right to hit at pitchers? What about 3b? Can I hit it at OFers? Is the "rightness" of it based on how hard I hit, or how far away from the batter the fielder is? Your arguments are ridiculous.

It's not right to intentionally try and hurt any player, but hitting it where the fielders are not is also the purpose of the game. If they're hitting it right at you, aren't a lot of outs being made? If they're hitting it a few feet to your left or your right, they're not hitting it at you.

I'm also reasonably certain that more people have been accidentally killed in brawls than in softball games.

I don't wanna fight when I get dunked on because it does not endanger my safety. I didn't wanna fight when I got juked out because I didn't endanger my safety, it was a contact sport(with rules regarding safety), and as a defensive end they were usually not juking much of the time anyway.

Hit away at 3b, he is far enough away that it isn't seriously dangerous. I've also said that I'm ok with going middle at certain levels. I don't pitch when I play at those levels. E league is another story. I've also said that I no longer complain about it now that I have a mask. If I pitch, I wear it and you're welcome to hit at me. I don't wanna get busted in the shin, but it does not concern me in nearly the same way as taking one off the temple or eye socket.

If you ever play a league game where you see a pitcher that doesn't have a chance of stopping a laser at his face and you hit middle on purpose and bust him up or kill him, you'll be judged in the next world if not this one. I'm not saying don't ever go middle. I'm not saying tourny's. I'm not talking about the best team in a competitive league. I'm talking about the lowest possible level of league ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I'm saying that argument makes no sense. Nobody can hit a spot two feet wide every time. This notion that people are intentionally drilling pitchers where they want at will is crazy. Why wouldn't that person hit any of yhe holes yards wide to bat a thousand? Secondly, any player that puts themself in any position where they can't defend themselves is responsible for that before a pitch is thrown.

huzzdog

retired
as a guy who's stood there with conny and the like up to bat. the desire to set yourself and make a play is almost nill. what you really wanna do is get small.. occasionally you throw one you think is going nowhere near you and it comes across you... i can tell you those are scary as hell. anybody who hasn't toed the rubber with a major player and stadium ball has no right to say set yourself and get ready.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
And I'm saying that argument makes no sense. Nobody can hit a spot two feet wide every time. This notion that people are intentionally drilling pitchers where they want at will is crazy. Why wouldn't that person hit any of yhe holes yards wide to bat a thousand? Secondly, any player that puts themself in any position where they can't defend themselves is responsible for that before a pitch is thrown.

I'm not saying they are so good that they can hit my face at will. I am saying that plenty of guys can go close enough and occasionally do on purpose. I say that doing it on purpose is uncalled for in certain situations. I can also tell you that in the game in question at least half of the hits were within feet of me, and I deflected three or four before I made the statement. Afterward, no more balls came directly at me.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't wanna fight when I get dunked on because it does not endanger my safety. I didn't wanna fight when I got juked out because I didn't endanger my safety, it was a contact sport(with rules regarding safety), and as a defensive end they were usually not juking much of the time anyway.

Hit away at 3b, he is far enough away that it isn't seriously dangerous. I've also said that I'm ok with going middle at certain levels. I don't pitch when I play at those levels. E league is another story. I've also said that I no longer complain about it now that I have a mask. If I pitch, I wear it and you're welcome to hit at me. I don't wanna get busted in the shin, but it does not concern me in nearly the same way as taking one off the temple or eye socket.

If you ever play a league game where you see a pitcher that doesn't have a chance of stopping a laser at his face and you hit middle on purpose and bust him up or kill him, you'll be judged in the next world if not this one. I'm not saying don't ever go middle. I'm not saying tourny's. I'm not talking about the best team in a competitive league. I'm talking about the lowest possible level of league ball.

So it's ok to hit middle when you aren't pitching ? Regardless of the level you play that's a bad attitude to have , especially by someone who doesn't like to get hit at or in his generally vicinity while pitching

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
as a guy who's stood there with conny and the like up to bat. the desire to set yourself and make a play is almost nill. what you really wanna do is get small.. occasionally you throw one you think is going nowhere near you and it comes across you... i can tell you those are scary as hell. anybody who hasn't toed the rubber with a major player and stadium ball has no right to say set yourself and get ready.

I see what you are saying and can agree to a certain point. However, with less than 1% of players ever playing at the level you played at and even less pitching at that level I don't think it's an accurate statement to say " you have no right to say set yourself and get ready".

im not even surprised there are guys saying that potentially changing someones life isn't as important as hitting a single in slow pitch softball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
im not even surprised there are guys saying that potentially changing someones life isn't as important as hitting a single in slow pitch softball.

It's not that at all. We just disagree on the potentially part. I could potentially run into a first baseman accidentally causing him to fall awkwardly on his neck. I have seen more runners hit and 3b sent to the hospital than pitchers, but we don't threaten fights for those.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
The most important question is, did they confiscate his bat and was he swinging dirty? ;)

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
The most important question is, did they confiscate his bat and was he swinging dirty? ;)

Lol, he has enough power and they are stadium balls or classic m's.....Connell, Purcell....Howie....all them dudes crank and would still mash with a wood bat in there hands. I am sure those guys just get there bats(that they get free) rolled right away to break em' in, and go play the tourney. Swinging a shaved stick and hitting a dude and everyone finding out about it, will take money and food away from their kids. Your not gonna see it happen with dudes that have there name on bats.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

^^^ I've filled in and pitched to beer-league rec guys who put shots past my ear before I could move. Anybody who pitches regularly, especially against higher-level competition, deserves a little respect.