Purcell drilling Vitcak @ Windy City Major + Arguement

single wally

Professional Amateur
as a guy who's stood there with conny and the like up to bat. the desire to set yourself and make a play is almost nill. what you really wanna do is get small.. occasionally you throw one you think is going nowhere near you and it comes across you... i can tell you those are scary as hell. anybody who hasn't toed the rubber with a major player and stadium ball has no right to say set yourself and get ready.

I'd love to see some of the guys on here criticizing Vitcak take a few middle shots themselves from major guys as pitcher and be humbled. "Dude should have gotten into position... I would have snapped that **** off." HAHAHAHAHAHA

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most important question is, did they confiscate his bat and was he swinging dirty? ;)

In the video his teammate clearly walks over and picks it up and walks back to the dugout. What happens after that we can't see, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing did.

jhitman

And I'm saying that argument makes no sense. Nobody can hit a spot two feet wide every time. This notion that people are intentionally drilling pitchers where they want at will is crazy. Why wouldn't that person hit any of yhe holes yards wide to bat a thousand? Secondly, any player that puts themself in any position where they can't defend themselves is responsible for that before a pitch is thrown.

I couldn't agree more. Even as good as the top notch hitters are, they can't hit a ball exactly where they want. I played with a pitcher that pitched the ball and backed up and was always in ready fielding position. If you are playing at the top major level you know the risks.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol, he has enough power and they are stadium balls or classic m's.....Connell, Purcell....Howie....all them dudes crank and would still mash with a wood bat in there hands. I am sure those guys just get there bats(that they get free) rolled right away to break em' in, and go play the tourney. Swinging a shaved stick and hitting a dude and everyone finding out about it, will take money and food away from their kids. Your not gonna see it happen with dudes that have there name on bats.

I agree with your statement for the most part... However to say that guys don't swing them at the level, even the guys with names on the bat, is asinine to me. You are right, give them a wood bat and watch it go... But watching that video and hearing some of the sounds the bats make when hit is a totally different sound than we all normally hear. You, nor anybody can convince me that they swing the same spec bats as what's sold to general public

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol, he has enough power and they are stadium balls or classic m's.....Connell, Purcell....Howie....all them dudes crank and would still mash with a wood bat in there hands. I am sure those guys just get there bats(that they get free) rolled right away to break em' in, and go play the tourney. Swinging a shaved stick and hitting a dude and everyone finding out about it, will take money and food away from their kids. Your not gonna see it happen with dudes that have there name on bats.

Could say the same thing about MLB players and steroids.... and we all saw what happened there :rolleyes:

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
Most bs in ball simmers on the field and cools off,
It's when the stands or bench get involved the heat gets things boiled over

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially when the "ladies" get involved. That's more at the lower levels though. :D

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I couldn't agree more. Even as good as the top notch hitters are, they can't hit a ball exactly where they want. I played with a pitcher that pitched the ball and backed up and was always in ready fielding position. If you are playing at the top major level you know the risks.

The only comment I made that applied to that level was that he should get a mask. I would expect middle shots to be common place there.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
So it's ok to hit middle when you aren't pitching ? Regardless of the level you play that's a bad attitude to have , especially by someone who doesn't like to get hit at or in his generally vicinity while pitching

I've never gone middle on purpose and have probably only done it on accident a handful of times in my life. I naturally pull hard, and if I try anything else, I try going oppo. I have missed and ended up going middle a couple times. I meant that I don't it against a person for going middle in higher level games, but that doing so intentionally has no place in league ball at the lowest levels. I'm no saying that it's only ok for me to go middle when I'm not pitching. That would be stupid.