Putting Down of Rec League Players

Matth

I read quite a few threads that negatively refer to rec league players. I just wondered why people look down on these players and look so highly upon tournament softball players. From what I’ve researched some of the best fellows currently playing high level softball were only division II baseball players. And in playing against high level tournament players including a fellow on Team USA I admit they’re good, but I’ve also played with people in rec league who were just as good. They just didn’t have the time or desire to play softball at an elite level.

Revoke36

Never played a tourney but my coed team are mostly tourney players. Both the guys and the girls. Too be honest, they’re cocky af and I have no idea why cuz they haven’t impressed me. The pitcher and SS literally have full out conversations (about their tourneys) while pitching! The SS plays in the baseline and is constantly getting bloopers hit over his head. The umps often comment how much they hate dealing with the tourney guys and their egos. Puts me off from playing tourneys even though I really want to. The girls are cool though. Very humble and just love playing the game.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Not all tourney players are DBs, just like not all Rec players suck. Like I've said before, just because you play in tournaments that doesn't mean you're a tournament player, if you get my drift.

The best player I personally know barely plays at all. To my knowledge, he only played ONE tournament this year. No league, no BP, nothing else....and I'm not even exaggerating when I say that if he actually cared about softball, he could easily be a conference player if he wanted to. He cares more about soccer, and hockey though.

Country469

Jesus christ, yall catch feelings over the dumbest ****.

the average league in America is roughly 1/2 as talented as an E level tourney game. Tourney players play more, they are generally better players. Not athletes, not more potential in the game, just better players as they play more often are in the flow of the game better. Same thing for golf. If I take 4 months off in the winter, I don't shoot 75 first time out.

A C level game.........95% of C level players are the best guy on their league team, possibly the whole league. Real talk there.

The difference between a C pitcher throwing to C players and throwing to league night guys is HUGE.

the same week I gave up a 50 spot on a saturday, I got a shut out in league.

Yes, individual players can vary. But the difference in quality all through a roster from even an E team to a league team is so dramatic that yes its perfectly ok to talk **** about league night and make major assumptions.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Yes, individual players can vary. But the difference in quality all through a roster from even an E team to a league team is so dramatic that yes its perfectly ok to talk **** about league night and make major assumptions.

When I first started playing tournament ball 15-16 years ago or so, I had only played military intramural and downtown rec league ball. I was picked up by an E team in KCMO. I showed up to my first tournament under the assumption that E was basically "rec level" based on what I had read/heard before hand. I remember being absolutely shocked at how good E teams were overall.

Redsfan

From 1989-2000 I played a lot of tourney ball. Played on a C team then got moved up to B. Even back then there was a world of difference between league and tourney teams/players. We hardly lost a league game but had to battle our butts off to make it to Sunday at a tourney. Tourney players just know how to play the game. They usually don't make the mistakes rec/league players do. I haven't played any tourneys since I got back into the game but I'm sure it's the same now.

blakcherry329

Jesus christ, yall catch feelings over the dumbest ****.

the average league in America is roughly 1/2 as talented as an E level tourney game. Tourney players play more, they are generally better players. Not athletes, not more potential in the game, just better players as they play more often are in the flow of the game better. Same thing for golf. If I take 4 months off in the winter, I don't shoot 75 first time out.

A C level game.........95% of C level players are the best guy on their league team, possibly the whole league. Real talk there.

The difference between a C pitcher throwing to C players and throwing to league night guys is HUGE.

the same week I gave up a 50 spot on a saturday, I got a shut out in league.

Nobody catching feelings, at least not me.
My point is 2 fold.
  1. Lots of people talking **** about Rec/League players aren't good enough to talk about anybody.
  2. Just because you're better than most players doesn't mean you need to be a DB
Either way, nothing bothers me on the field. Just shows the type of person they are when they act a certain way.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Not all tourney players are DBs, just like not all Rec players suck. Like I've said before, just because you play in tournaments that doesn't mean you're a tournament player, if you get my drift.
That is the gods honest truth.
I will not name the team but there is a Conference team that only selects their players on who you know REGARDLESS of their skill level;.
They are all from the same area and many of the players on this team play on a skill level of a rec player level but they are only on the team because they are long time friends with the coach or another long time player.
I have seen this with tournament teams as well..

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I think the big issue is that 20 years ago, there were way more teams and way more leagues. You used to be able to appropriately place low rec players in leagues with other low rec players and move B players into B leagues. And its almost as if neither new the other existed. clearly there wasn't social media or forums to this level.

Now with league and player #'s falling off as I believe they have. At lease in this area it seems. All those players are intermixed. and its very noticeable the difference.

many leagues don't designate different classes anymore. So every league around here is either really small with 4-6 teams tops or they are larger with a few clearly tourney level teams getting swings in, other teams with 4-6 good players and a rough bottom of the lineup and clear rec teams that have 1 good player potentially.

Here locally we entered a "D" league from off the cities website. we are a bunch of dad's who mostly play in the fall as our kids crap is mostly over. Many of us played competitively for years before time and kids got in the way of playing a lot more. So we sparingly play here or there and then all get to get together in the fall. we are basically C players in the past who better fit in the E/D world. It was clearly a low e league and we ran through the competition and were told we needed to play in their "C" leagues next year if we returned.

It was very frustrating as we still had fun and aren't DB's about it but teams griped and we were like believe us, we too are a bit peeved that the city can't figure out levels properly.

ShortYellowBus

I sometimes get peeves when low rec league guys post all over the internet that the best bat ever is a 25oz pink flip, or a gold colored torch.

So yeah, if people shout from the rooftops about a hot 25oz bat, but have only hit a couple of the new bats and aren’t familiar with the different bat techs out there, I get peeved.

All new bats are good. Find one that suits your swing.

Stop bragging about what you bought.

JN137

Just as much as there are "tourney players" that are d-bags, there are just as many "rec players" that probably deserve to be talked s**t about.

Here's an example - A year or so ago a buddy of mine who has a league night team asked me to come fill in one night when they were short. They played at the lowest level in that league, and it is very much a "just for fun" team. They were beating the team they were playing pretty easily, and one of the infielders of the opposing team was getting pissed and yelled out "These guys shouldn't be down here, this is BS they are a damn C team". I had to laugh at this dude, because this team who he was accusing of being a "C Team" would get absolutely smashed if they signed up for a Men's E tournament anywhere. So, it goes to show that some of these guys have no clue what they're talking about. At the same time, the team who WAS winning thought they were hot s**t because they could put up 25 runs against a team who couldn't field a routine ground ball. It's all relative. Some of these lower level players don't realize how "lower level" they actually are, and I think that is where a lot of the smack talk about league comes from.

So.. I'd say sometimes s**t talking is deserved, not because of your skill level but because of your attitude.

Matth

Just as much as there are "tourney players" that are d-bags, there are just as many "rec players" that probably deserve to be talked s**t about.

Here's an example - A year or so ago a buddy of mine who has a league night team asked me to come fill in one night when they were short. They played at the lowest level in that league, and it is very much a "just for fun" team. They were beating the team they were playing pretty easily, and one of the infielders of the opposing team was getting pissed and yelled out "These guys shouldn't be down here, this is BS they are a damn C team". I had to laugh at this dude, because this team who he was accusing of being a "C Team" would get absolutely smashed if they signed up for a Men's E tournament anywhere. So, it goes to show that some of these guys have no clue what they're talking about. At the same time, the team who WAS winning thought they were hot s**t because they could put up 25 runs against a team who couldn't field a routine ground ball. It's all relative. Some of these lower level players don't realize how "lower level" they actually are, and I think that is where a lot of the smack talk about league comes from.

So.. I'd say sometimes s**t talking is deserved, not because of your skill level but because of your attitude.
I like your post. I started this thread because I feel that softball players plain and simple, even great softball players, shouldn’t bash on others, simply because all softball players are like another poster said, failed baseball players. However I can see your point how a lot of rec leaguers do act like morons. So, in this light I can totally see how rec league players can get bashed on in threads. I guess though that the bottom line is that there are jerks at every level as well as nice guys and we probably shouldn’t stereotype anyone.

Bow Commander

I played a church league this summer for the first time since my teens. I was a bit surprised at how competitive it was.

Aside from the one team of geriatrics, the league was pretty competitive. Zero **** talking, no blow-ups. Was kind of refreshing.
That's how ours is too. More competitive without any douchiness. I much prefer it over city rec league.

Country469

Last time I was allowed to play church league (played too high of a level now to be allowed) it was like 12 team lig.

8 teams were legit church teams with a few decent players and all on about the same team level.

Then 2 teams chock full of league regulars and tourney players who clearly did not attend any church. (like when 3 guys I saw at the weekend tourney tried to say they were at church, the tourney was in myrtle 5 hours away....)

That being said I play in the interstate COG tourney in roanoke still every year, have played with a team outa indy for the past 8 years. Best atmosphere ever for softball, so much kindness and still quality ball played at all 4 brackets.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Most of the true Rec league players aren’t always former baseball players, maybe little league or something but not always studs, that’s where you get the league night hero who thinks it game 7 of the series, and the mix of tourney teams/players don’t see it that way, the main issue in all of this is are the leagues not being able to fill the right teams based on skill level, with the dwindling number of teams down everywhere, you can’t have 3/4 team leagues, unless you want to pay thousands in fees, so these tourney teams who want to play/ practice really have no choice, then the teams with lower skill level get fed up and quit, it’s really a catch 22, and then you have the bat issue complicating things as well, its a recipe for disaster, but like others have said, if your a douche, your a douche, tourney guy or rec league guy, it’s all about your attitude, and in my experience with softball, it’s like 65% of every team thinks they are billy badass