question about others using your bat(s) in rec league

Capnsavem

Starting Player
i have a handful of bats that are fair game for my team to use, and i put them all out there for them... ive never questioned anyone for using them... and nobody's ever asked if they could use a specific stick.

question is, if i have a bat i dont want to use as a team bat, is it douchy to keep it in my bag during the game and bring it out when im about to be up?.. or should i announce to everyone that its off limits?

how do i do this without looking like an a$$hole?

thanks in advance

jftx

Addicted to Softballfans
just tell them hey guys you can uses these bats.. but that one is fragile there fore i would like no one else to use it unless you were willing to pay for it if you break it.. most of your team not owning any bats wouldnt know if it was actually fragile or not.. thats what i do with my Z2k i just tell people id rather they not swing it but my NXT is hot as well and dont mind it at all if they do

brtisbuck

Addicted to Softballfans
It your bat and you paid for it. I let everyone swing my bats.... except for my gamers. I don't want my gamers dying a premature death when I've paid for them and worked them.

That having been said, all of my team mates own their own equipment as well.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I am going thru this very same issue as we speak and I actually got everyone on the team to do a team bat buy-in. I play in a single-wall, one-piece metal only league and was sick of being the only one bringing in a decent bat to use, which was then used by everyone on the team. If it's a $50 bat then who the F cares, but my $200 Nanotek (which they stopped making in 2012) was starting to get some serious wear & tear. I basically told them I had to put it away for awhile and they could 1) start using ****ty bats, 2) buy there own bats, or 3) do a team buyin for some decent bats. Ended up collecting about $25 per team member and got a couple Ultimate weapons & an ignite.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
I don't care who swings any of my bats but they better respect them! I do have a cracked cf3 that only I swing but I have a board bro that is welcome to swing it as well. Most of the teams I play on the players have their own but mine are available. I just tell them to not touch the cf3 and they respect it and are not butthurt about it.

Capnsavem

Starting Player
i like alot of these ideas... i may combine them... maybe let them swing it for a week- all the while letting them know that its not a team bat, and if majority likes it, i'll have them pitch in for a team bat version.

of course... the one they swung will become the team bat :D

I've been debating something along these lines lately. The rec team I run, what ever bats I put out is fair game, no one uses my Z though. Guess no one likes it, but I love it.

Well I also play on another team, and used my Z, had it against the cage and noticed some other people using it lately. Didn't really have an issue with it. As I don't have a ton of time, to try and break in a bat, I figured they would only help me out. I know the Z really requires little break in time. Well yesterday after my teams game, I checked it out, and noticed something strange. Could be some webbing, or could be the beginning stages of a crack. Now how do I go about telling the Friday team, that I would appreciate them not using my Z anymore? Because I don't want it to break just yet, if it really is a crack.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I just put all my other bats out for the team to swing and I tell them before the game that nobody gets to swing my first batch B1.

i also have the guy that bats 2 spots behind me, grab it and put it back in my bag after each at bat.

i have had no issues with this method.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I've been debating something along these lines lately. The rec team I run, what ever bats I put out is fair game, no one uses my Z though. Guess no one likes it, but I love it.

Well I also play on another team, and used my Z, had it against the cage and noticed some other people using it lately. Didn't really have an issue with it. As I don't have a ton of time, to try and break in a bat, I figured they would only help me out. I know the Z really requires little break in time. Well yesterday after my teams game, I checked it out, and noticed something strange. Could be some webbing, or could be the beginning stages of a crack. Now how do I go about telling the Friday team, that I would appreciate you not using my Z anymore, Because I don't want it to break just yet, if it really is a crack.

Try this.

Capnsavem

Starting Player
I don't care who swings any of my bats but they better respect them! I do have a cracked cf3 that only I swing but I have a board bro that is welcome to swing it as well. Most of the teams I play on the players have their own but mine are available. I just tell them to not touch the cf3 and they respect it and are not butthurt about it.

i hear you, but on one of my rec league teams, we only have maybe 1/3 the team that brings there own bats... lot of fresh-off-the-baseball-field kids that dont know about softball bats... thats the team i'm concerned about...

and that one of the fresh kids let a teammate's bat go and it lost the battle against the steel backstop post.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
this again? do people seriously not know how to handle simple confrontations without consulting the softball gods?

Kramit

I let everyone use my bats. If you have a bat that you don't want people to use tell them. If you don't have the balls to tell your teammates not to use a bat that you paid for then you don't really want people not to use it.

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
The old you break it you buy it doesn't work. Because you find out real quick who the selfish ****ers are when it breaks and you can't tell who swung it. Fingers pointed everywhere and no one willing accept responsibility....

strength

Extra Hitter
i just can't afford to let anyone else swing my new stamp asa's. They are to fragile. There are so many bats that our teams have that it's not an issue when I put my bats right back into my bag. Of coarse if the guy behind me decides to use my bat i dont say anything, but as soon as im back at the bench, my bats go back into my bag. They are all broken in and don't need extra swings on them.

Capnsavem

Starting Player
i just can't afford to let anyone else swing my new stamp asa's. They are to fragile. There are so many bats that our teams have that it's not an issue when I put my bats right back into my bag. Of coarse if the guy behind me decides to use my bat i dont say anything, but as soon as im back at the bench, my bats go back into my bag. They are all broken in and don't need extra swings on them.

That's how I'm going to play it.

Thanks, Softball God. ;-)

ArmySball

NoRegrets SB Est 05
I got a decent deal on two 454's. I told the players on my team they can swing it if the pay in, like a buy in too pay for one of the bats. At the end of the year we do like a raffle and the winner picks which one of the two they want to keep. So I am only paying for one bat and they arent swing a metal one piece!!

J_Swigga

Addicted to Softballfans
New bats with the mush balls are much more durable so I let the whole team swing my bat. Back when the TPS Genesis was new and crazy hot. I learned on here that it was like swinging a fluorescent light bulb. I just told everyone to use my other bats and they were all cool with it. I still broke my Genesis and its replacement in the same season. Still my favorite bat of all time minus the durability issue. The Freak Plus is a close second and lasted much longer.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Everyone is entitled to swing my bat one time. If they like it and feel its the only bat they will ever swing again.. I let them know where they can buy their own.

If they ask to use it again I say no.

deKilla

Coach
I normally let people swing my bats. This year i decided to not let anyone swing my z2000 and keep it beside my bag. I still pull out my other bats and let them swing em. There are some guys I would not say no to if they wanted to try it or use it because they would let me use any of theirs. These specific guys would go out and buy there own if they liked it.

Last edited:

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
All my bats are fair game except my Flipper. I tell my team this regularily and they don't swing my Flipper. If I have to, I put it in the bag between swings.