Question for pitchers?

Erburn

Does everyone wear a mask or is it dependant on the league you are playing in? I have never worn one in our church league because it is single-wall alloy bats only but after taking 2 years off I came back this year and the first 2 games I have taken 5-6 shots up the middle a few pretty close and one I got my glove up just in time to keep it from hitting me in the face. I don't want to be the only one but I don't want to take one off the face either.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I started wearing the worth pitching helmet 4 years ago to get ready for 40+ senior ball where it is mandatory.

Personally I think the lower levels of play are scarier because you get big strong kids swinging out of their ass with zero bat control.

I had a friend take one to the face on a nasty one hopper in a singlewall league and he almost lost his eye about the same time I started wearing my helmet. I won't pitch without one regardless of level or quality of play anymore.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
Does everyone wear a mask or is it dependant on the league you are playing in? I have never worn one in our church league because it is single-wall alloy bats only but after taking 2 years off I came back this year and the first 2 games I have taken 5-6 shots up the middle a few pretty close and one I got my glove up just in time to keep it from hitting me in the face. I don't want to be the only one but I don't want to take one off the face either.
Better safe than sorry especially if your league is using harder softballs which they probably are with it being single wall alloy bats.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
That's one thing I never understood. Singlewall leagues with 44/375s or harder? Why not switch to LC balls?

I play in two singlewall leagues one switched to 52/300s and you see maybe 10 homeruns in a season the other stuck with 44s and you see probably 50+ homeruns in a season.

Makes no sense to me.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
why is this even a question?

You'd be surprised.

I play in four different leagues at various levels with various combos of bats and balls and there are a total of three dudes wearing masks in all of them combined. Me being one of them.

At least once a season some dude asks my first baseman if I've been hit in the face lol.

Joker

You'd be surprised.

I play in four different leagues at various levels with various combos of bats and balls and there are a total of three dudes wearing masks in all of them combined. Me being one of them.

At least once a season some dude asks my first baseman if I've been hit in the face lol.
no, this guy "doesn't want to be the only one". why would you even care if you're the only one?

Erburn

I have a worth mask that I wore in another league but in the past in our church league we never got any up the middle. It just seems like now either no one can control their bat or they don't care anymore.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's one thing I never understood. Singlewall leagues with 44/375s or harder? Why not switch to LC balls?

I play in two singlewall leagues one switched to 52/300s and you see maybe 10 homeruns in a season the other stuck with 44s and you see probably 50+ homeruns in a season.

Makes no sense to me.
What makes no sense is that the 52/300 is a much better ball to use with singlewalls performance wise. 44/375s suck with singlewalls.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear my mask every time, even in my wood bat league. I figure the one time I don't wear it = bad things
I wear mine because I don't want to adjust switching back and forth. I used to play with nets in south GA and it sucked going from no mask, even with nets, to wearing it on weekends.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Even when we used nets I still wore mine. I don't care what anyone thinks... if I get hit in the head or face and get injured are they the ones going to help my family out with bills? Didn't think so ... feed them a fish head if they think it's stupid for you to wear a mask

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

If you had a close call and were even thinking about what could have happened if you didn't get your glove up, I'm not even sure why you are asking this question. You had a call close enough to wonder, that's your warning shot. Don't wait until someone gets facial reconstructive surgery to wear one. It might seem weird at first and you might get some questions, but who cares? Besides, after a while they will be used to seeing you with it. You might even be the one to convince someone else thinking about wearing a mask but more concerned with what people will say to save his face.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I don't want to be the only one but I don't want to take one off the face either.

It might seem weird at first and you might get some questions, but who cares? Besides, after a while they will be used to seeing you with it. You might even be the one to convince someone else thinking about wearing a mask but more concerned with what people will say to save his face.

I started wearing a Rip-It mask playing infield a few years ago. I was the only person in my local leagues wearing one and to this day when I play in tournaments, I'm the only non-pitcher wearing one. Since then, a handful of local guys (and girls) started wearing them. It was like other people wanted to wear one, but they didn't want to be the only one. OP, man up and be a trendsetter.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
When some of the younger fast pitch leagues wanted their pitchers to have masks many of the teams had all the infielders wear them, or at least the corners also. Show of solidarity or "can't hurt" I guess. Either way it works and I understand it for younger girls who might not want to wear them. For my part if I had to pitch I'd be wearing full plate mail.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Even when we used nets I still wore mine. I don't care what anyone thinks... if I get hit in the head or face and get injured are they the ones going to help my family out with bills? Didn't think so ... feed them a fish head if they think it's stupid for you to wear a mask
Same here in our league. Mask and screen.

Hogrider

I own a lacrosse mask but cant get comfortable wearing it. I tell myself that If i cant get my glove up, I shouldnt be pitching. Maybe if it was more comfortable id wear it.

milesej05

The Rookie
I pitched for 2 years in E-Comp league and was never really scared of any ball coming back up the middle. After I pitch and see where it is going, I can typically move back and get into position where the ball might come back to me...and I can say that I can only count on one hand how many balls got by me without me making a play or at least knocking them down.
I moved to open league this year and pitch occasionally and now I wear a mouthpiece when I play 3rd (normal position) and when I pitch I wear my mouthpiece, Worth plastic mask, and cheap soccer shinguards. Playing open league around here is no joke

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear a cup in the if because a buddy of mine got hit and threw up immediately. I don't want to get hit in the nuts, but I damned sure don't want to get hit so hard I puke.

milesej05

The Rookie
I wear a cup in the if because a buddy of mine got hit and threw up immediately. I don't want to get hit in the nuts, but I damned sure don't want to get hit so hard I puke.

Guess I forgot about that. I wear a nutty buddy and I don't even know it is there most of the time.

huzzdog

retired
what is crazy.. played infield my whole life.. never a single game in the outfield. even pitched at the conference level.. i've never been hit in the nuts.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had my cup cracked pitching a few years ago, but all my nut shots have come catching. Foul tips or stupid hops. I just leave it on to catch now too.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
We were playing against a kid in his 20s a few years back that took a tipped thrown ball to the nuts running to first. Everyone was yucking it up on both teams thinking it was pretty funny.

We found out the next time we played them that kid had to have his testicle removed because the swelling cut off the blood supply and caused necrosis to the tissue and all they could do was remove it.

From that season on I've worn a cup every time I play. Pitching, infield or outfield doesn't matter.

SandyWH

#Delicious
A) it only takes one
B) lower levels are where I've been hit the hardest (less attentive I guess)
C) never had anyone laugh or say anything about me wearing a mask

CajunDude

Would never laugh at anyone who wore a mask no matter where they played - pitcher, catcher, IF or OF. Do what you think you need to do to protect yourself. I'll play the OF without a cup but on the dirt, I'm wearing one. It only takes that one time and there's just no need to risk it.

Erburn - I say go for it! Pick you up one and go pitch bp to your team with it on to get comfortable with it.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I watch some of the Conference pitchers and those guys can hold down the middle. If THOSE guys who field balls at that level can get hit, you bet your ass I can get hit. I hear the same thing all the time, I've played my whole life and never been hit. It just takes one and your life is changed forever.