Question for pitchers?

Jerrshoe

I play in a u-trip league and I haven't seen a single pitcher wear a mask.....it's crazy. I'd have a full suit of armor on if I went out there. Hell, I don't even like playing 3rd without a mask. I almost killed a guy two weeks ago by accident. Tried to go oppo with an outside pitch and pulled it a little too much. Fired a shot back at the pitchers face. Not sure what the exit speed was, but no way he even saw the thing. Fortunately it was 6 inches to the left of his head.

Bottom line....wear the mask.

Country469

Anyone who thinks they are gonna see every ball off the bat and can field everything is stupid. Also big Huzz got lit the **** up by connell once, I sawed it live. Coulda been his nuts, but they are small.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watch some of the Conference pitchers and those guys can hold down the middle. If THOSE guys who field balls at that level can get hit, you bet your ass I can get hit. I hear the same thing all the time, I've played my whole life and never been hit. It just takes one and your life is changed forever.
That's all it took for me. Luckily it was top spin and ended up in my gut instead of backspin to the face.

Jerrshoe

i think it was you telling us how hard you hit it. but im dumb wuddo I know

It appears as though you're one of the special few that should be wearing a helmet all the time. The thread is about why you should wear a helmet on the mound. Balls being hit hard back the middle is the reason to wear the helmet. The point was not to brag to a bunch of nameless, faceless, strangers about how awesome I am, it was simply to validate the "pitchers should wear helmets" philosophy.

This forum is great. May I suggest one small tweak? A toolbar icon that allows me to write this **** in crayon so the couple of EE rec league heros can actually understand what's being said. That would be helpful.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
If I ever played OF again my mask would probably save me from taking routine pop flys to the face when I lose track of the ball.

huzzdog

retired
Anyone who thinks they are gonna see every ball off the bat and can field everything is stupid. Also big Huzz got lit the **** up by connell once, I sawed it live. Coulda been his nuts, but they are small.
i have a special ability to make them hide inside my body on command. it's why i don't wear a cup. for the record.. i did have a mask on every time i pitched against resmondo or helmers easton teams

hitsone

never let anyone intimidate you out of wearing any safety equipment. You are the one who is going to the hospital.
There are more ways to get hit than by pissiles hit back at you. My last 2 visits to the ER were from bounces. fortunately only a few stitches.
I bought the face off mask and have been wearing it almost every game...no more ER visits ...but then I have not been hit in the face since...coinsidence?

will_reed

has been/never was
I've tried a couple lacrosse helmets recently, I've found the Cascade CPV to be just about perfect for me and they can be found used for next to nothing.

desperados

Addicted to Softballfans
no problem here with anybody choosing to wear some body armor......especially pitchers.....but pitchers if you do wear a mask please wear a helmet as well, first instinct on a hot shot is to turn head....mask wont help you there.....

defos

I play 3rd and started wearing an old style catchers helmet like the MLB base coaches now wear. I added a modified mask from a batting helmet. It won't completely prevent me from getting hurt, but it will help. Nobody has criticized me as far as I know, but some have commented that it's a good idea.

Stromberg

Haven't seen/heard of anyone in my league wearing a face mask.. but once my multiple face fractures heal I guess I'll be the trendsetter!!
I seen the ball, but still wasn't enough time to get my glove from ready position to in front of my face..
now no more pitching for me this year.. I'll be lucky to get out into the field before season end.

jnc19

Its not always a line drive that you need a mask for. Bad hops off a hot utrip bat, when your only 50ft away can smush your face in too.

FACT