Rain, Rain Go Away

Z-Fly

Heart Throb
The guy has made countless videos and memes of me. I thought I'd give a little back to him. It hit home, apparently.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know the easiest way to create basic jersey logos without paying someone to do them
I used to design a lot of what I sold in ga with paint. I'm serious btw. Drag in pics it clip art and move it around. I had all their previous logos to work with, but I designed a couple from scratch too. It helped pass the time between rushes, and those kids would've bought a pile of poop if I'd put a gmc logo on it and they could pay with financial aid.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We still exist. We just had to significantly change the roster.
Did these bumps go all the way up? I think you and stampede would be c teams if they bumped up the top 60% or so of c. If they let those teams break up and reform and stay down then that's a different story of course.

This is where the game is getting it wrong to me. You guys had played together and had built chemistry and that's all gone now because of a bump.

Back in Lexington I played with most of the same guys for the better part of ten years. You can't do that anymore and I think it's wrong.

Z-Fly

Heart Throb
I agree in theory with what they are doing. The execution hasn't been perfect, but that's to be expected. I thought Nati Ducks were the best D team last year with the Birds being second best. They are both young teams and perfect to move to C. We were an older team that won more games than we should have. We played very little defense and just went out there swinging. That will win you a bunch of games, but usually you need to win at least one game in a tournament based off of defense. That's why our power number was high, but only won one tournament.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree in theory with what they are doing. The execution hasn't been perfect, but that's to be expected. I thought Nati Ducks were the best D team last year with the Birds being second best. They are both young teams and perfect to move to C. We were an older team that won more games than we should have. We played very little defense and just went out there swinging. That will win you a bunch of games, but usually you need to win at least one game in a tournament based off of defense. That's why our power number was high, but only won one tournament.
There is so much that goes into winning a game that you can't put on paper. Look at my team, we played with y'all for a good portion of that game, but you were missing some key guys and we were playing above our heads. We can do that and turn around and lose to a pick up team.

You and stampede play like I'd like my team to. Offensively I mean, I think we're fine defensively. Timely and two out hitting is worth so much more than raw numbers imo.

rustybumgardner

Addicted to Softballfans
Back in Lexington I played with most of the same guys for the better part of ten years. You can't do that anymore and I think it's wrong.

I beg to differ. If your team consists of truly your friends, you don’t get butthurt when the best ones move up and you are ok with being a .500 team because you just enjoy hanging out with your guys every weekend, then it’s possible. I have had the same core of 10ish guys for close to that mark now. It’s all in what you are trying to get out of it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I beg to differ. If your team consists of truly your friends, you don’t get butthurt when the best ones move up and you are ok with being a .500 team because you just enjoy hanging out with your guys every weekend, then it’s possible. I have had the same core of 10ish guys for close to that mark now. It’s all in what you are trying to get out of it.

Didn't y'all only play wsl last year because of bumps? Out of everybody here I would've assumed you'd agree with that the most.

You're also including a lot of ifs that I would say back up what I'm saying. We didn't cut people to pick up better talent. We only picked up people if others retired or moved on. We only had one guy I can remember leave us to move up on the tournament scene.

Teams stayed together and get better through chemistry. Now teams are built instead of grown. Even at the lower levels. Especially at the lower levels for my point.

Z-Fly

Heart Throb
You need talent to win. No matter how many reps I take, I'm not going to turn into a conference level SS. I'm not paying $1000s so guys can meet up and BBQ in the parking lot. While the main reason I go to the park is to be with my friends. I know how to make new friends.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
You need talent to win. No matter how many reps I take, I'm not going to turn into a conference level SS. I'm not paying $1000s so guys can meet up and BBQ in the parking lot. While the main reason I go to the park is to be with my friends. I know how to make new friends.

Z can hear Jimmy though

whitemencantjump-2-613x463.jpg

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm not saying that isn't true, but it also didn't used to be like that. And, you shouldn't be bumped on your ability to recruit new guys. You have a guy retire, that's one thing, but I'm talking about the teams cutting people and re-tooling their whole team because they got bumped and they don't think the team that got bumped can hang in c or whatever.

Z-Fly

Heart Throb
I'm not saying that isn't true, but it also didn't used to be like that. And, you shouldn't be bumped on your ability to recruit new guys. You have a guy retire, that's one thing, but I'm talking about the teams cutting people and re-tooling their whole team because they got bumped and they don't think the team that got bumped can hang in c or whatever.

Yep, definitely an interesting conversation. To keep the upper divisions alive, they are basically bumping sponsors, not players.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, definitely an interesting conversation. To keep the upper divisions alive, they are basically bumping sponsors, not players.
That's my problem. The best way to revitalize the upper divisions is to tame the equipment. Restore the skill ceiling, and let the cream rise to the top. Slugfest style tourneys can thrive, everyone can pick a tourney or two to play up and test their skills for double points, and people will have a better idea of what they'd really be up against.

And the ball wouldn't suck in August like it does now. Guys were murdering the ball this past weekend barely flicking their wrists, and they won't be able to use a free homerun by June. I love that spring boost cool weather gives you, but I'd like it to be twenty feet instead of 50-75.

Tone down the equipment and drop e. Or drop e rec if that's a thing.

Redsfan

There seems to be a lot more sand bagging now than when I played tournament ball almost 20 years ago. Also the mentality is totally different now. We wanted to get better and move up back then. Now I play with guys that won't play in certain leagues or tourney's because they don't want to get moved up if they do well. I don't understand that thinking one bit. Especially when they are decent players.

Z-Fly

Heart Throb
re·tire
Dictionary result for retire
/rəˈtī(ə)r/
Learn to pronounce
verb
  1. 1.
    leave one's job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment.
    "he retired from the navy in 1966"
    synonyms: give up work, stop working, stop work;
    reach retirement age
    "he retired two years ago"
  2. 2.
    withdraw to or from a particular place.
    "she retired into the bathroom with her toothbrush"
    synonyms: go off, withdraw, go away, go out, exit, make an exit, take oneself off, depart, decamp, adjourn, leave for; More

sqwrl11

Starting Player
This is some of the best reading I've seen in a while. Like to see all the points of view from different people. It makes me wonder if I like softball better as a player, coach, umpire or director? Makes you think..............

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seems to be a lot more sand bagging now than when I played tournament ball almost 20 years ago. Also the mentality is totally different now. We wanted to get better and move up back then. Now I play with guys that won't play in certain leagues or tourney's because they don't want to get moved up if they do well. I don't understand that thinking one bit. Especially when they are decent players.
People want their money's worth, but today that means an easy tournament win. It's only going to get worse now that offensive ejection is off the table.

Sandbagging isn't as bad up here as South ga and Florida though.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is some of the best reading I've seen in a while. Like to see all the points of view from different people. It makes me wonder if I like softball better as a player, coach, umpire or director? Makes you think..............
I wish I hadn't killed the thread on Cincy softball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
An I the only person that wants to bs to get through Friday? This place is dead, fb is dead, Cincy softball is dead. I'm going to have to actually work some.

Redsfan

Nope. I don't feel like working either. Hopefully the convo's will get better once everyone in the north gets to start playing again.