Rawlings Gold Glove Series

MPT23

Putting on the foil
So are these a decent quality glove or what ? Just looking for some opinions, thank you in advance.

Committed

If you are taking about the top of the line Gold Glove, Yes. Imagine if a Pro Preferred and Pro Limited had a love child.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
There are several models that share the Gold Glove name. I'll describe them in order of price:

1. Gold Glove/Gold Glove Elite (model GG or GGE): these are entry-level gloves commonly available at your big box sports stores in the $129-149 price range. Shell leather is decent, laces are typical quality, but you will notice they are softer and less structured from the get-go. Binding and welting on current models are synthetic leather. Good thing is, they share the same tried-and-true patterns you'll find in better Rawlings gloves.

2. Vintage Gold Glove: these were from the '80s and '90s (correct me if I'm wrong). They share many of the same characteristics of the Horween USA made HOH gloves, but in a more reasonable price tag. You'd have to search eBay for these models, and IIRC, they only came in tan leather.

3. 50th Anniversary Gold Glove: an all-black model lineup with the gold thumb logo and wrist label. Quality wise, these were at the lower level, typical of what you'd find on a Gold Glove from a big box store today. People sell these mostly for the "value" of the gold labels, typically from $150-250 depending on condition. Pristine NWT versions with perfect labels would be most valuable.

4. Rawlings Gold Glove (model RGG): these have been around for a few years and are the most expensive model Rawlings currently offers, around $500 retail. Original RGG series were black, with varying amounts of gold accents. Newer models are mocha with gaudy (IMO) gold stampings and other gold accents. As mentioned above, these are very high quality and beautiful when new. Good collector's items.

MaverickAH

If you are taking about the top of the line Gold Glove, Yes. Imagine if a Pro Preferred and Pro Limited had a love child.

If he is talking about the $500 Gold Glove Series, I wouldn't call them, "top of the line". What I would call them "crazily overpriced". Nice gloves but not worth the asking price........

If he's talking about the older, discontinued Gold Glove Series that was Rawlings' entry level to a decent glove than the answer is dependent on vintage & sub series. Basically, the older, the better. I could make a good argument for a NOS Gold Glove from the 90's or earlier over a current Heart of the Hide!

Rawlings really doesn't have much these days in the $100 to $200 range that I'd recommend for adult slow pitch.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
If he is talking about the $500 Gold Glove Series, I wouldn't call them, "top of the line". What I would call them "crazily overpriced". Nice gloves but not worth the asking price........

If he's talking about the older, discontinued Gold Glove Series that was Rawlings' entry level to a decent glove than the answer is dependent on vintage & sub series. Basically, the older, the better. I could make a good argument for a NOS Gold Glove from the 90's or earlier over a current Heart of the Hide!

Rawlings really doesn't have much these days in the $100 to $200 range that I'd recommend for adult slow pitch.
Haha notice my description also says "most expensive" because I agree with you!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The late 90's Gold Gloves have model numbers that start with "Pro" like HOHs. AFAIK, they were all made in the Philippines when HOH production was still in Saint Louis. They also seem to be made with a slightly lower grade of leather than HOH gloves. It's almost like they used them to train Philippines workers to make HOHs with these and once that was accomplished, they moved HOH production to Phili.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
Pretty sure its the lower end gold glove. Thank you for all the input gentlemen.