Recent bat compression notice from ASA

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Hadn't seen a thread in this section commenting on the 2/26 note about BCT exceptions.

Seems kind of hypocritical to even have a compression standard if you're going to make an "exception" for all these bats. So far they say that the bats don't exceed the 98 MPH standard.

Noticed not one Easton on the list. Seems to me that ASA is enabling the whole soft bat that breaks quickly trend.

Love to hear SBF nation commentary on this...go!

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
New technology really geared toward the .52/300 ball. There are few that want a bat that will take 1000 + hits to break in when they can buy one that will be game ready in 100 swings or less. .52/300's just don't damage bats like .44/375's do, especially when temps dip below 60 degrees. Easton is one of the only bat companies that hasn't caught up with this IMO and that's the reason you don't see a lot of people swinging them anymore.

Just like any other technology, adapt and update your designs or die.

RustyShakleford

This has been a thing since the first Flipper. These bats are made differently, so they need to be compression tested differently. Easton doesn't make a non-linear bat so they won't be on this list. Compression testing has nothing to do with the 98mph testing standard.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Pretty much spot on.

Here it's all Utrip, but 52/300 or 44/375 at the very most in bigger parks with higher calibre.

Not many Eastons being swung anymore. Not really caught up to the tech Miken/Worth, LS, and newer Demarini and Mizuno stuff brought on board.

By the team you get an Easton worked in it's price went down to $99 from $300.

At least the other brands with new releases, you get to use it while it has the high value you paid for it.

Durability complaints are generally from those beating too many harder balls at BP or in cold temps not sticking to just 52s.

What I respect from Eastons call on their old ASA2004 lines is that you still saw some grandfathered into NSA and what not here. And in leagues or tournies without testing. We are talking old bats with lots and lots of hits, going untested, and probably now exceeding the stamp limits. Doing away with those in general is a good idea. All companies should follow.

At least the new stamp bats don't last long if at all once they've begun failing comp test significantly. In fact, some basically suck once too soft.

New technology really geared toward the .52/300 ball. There are few that want a bat that will take 1000 + hits to break in when they can buy one that will be game ready in 100 swings or less. .52/300's just don't damage bats like .44/375's do, especially when temps dip below 60 degrees. Easton is one of the only bat companies that hasn't caught up with this IMO and that's the reason you don't see a lot of people swinging them anymore.

This is the truth right here, I think the list was misunderstood by OP and others....

This has been a thing since the first Flipper. These bats are made differently, so they need to be compression tested differently. Easton doesn't make a non-linear bat so they won't be on this list. Compression testing has nothing to do with the 98mph testing standard.

hitalot

Backside and Gaps

WELL SAID! prlly the best and most true comment or statement ive seen posted on here in awhile... Basically why i dont swing easton much at all anymore! you know how long it would take to break an easton in if you only hit 52's... i swing multiple times a week and a few hundred cuts each time and i dont even wanna deal with that. when a bat hits gamer status it gets put on the rack and a new one begins or continues its break in or i buy something else.... just my .02 cents though! :thumb:

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
A lot of Easton Glass around in my area. They can be carved out and still last forever and pass compression

I think that is why Easton hasn't changed their tech to keep up with other manufacturers. They know their place in the market. They know who their buyers are. Probably why they can afford to liquidate inventory at the end of each year, because they'll never have to honor a warranty because they get customized, voiding the warranty. So with Easton, 1 bat sale = 1 bat. With others, 1 bat sale = 2 bats (with warranty return). Win/win for Easton. No cost for new R&D to keep up with the times and minimal warranty returns.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that is why Easton hasn't changed their tech to keep up with other manufacturers. They know their place in the market. They know who their buyers are. Probably why they can afford to liquidate inventory at the end of each year, because they'll never have to honor a warranty because they get customized, voiding the warranty. So with Easton, 1 bat sale = 1 bat. With others, 1 bat sale = 2 bats (with warranty return). Win/win for Easton. No cost for new R&D to keep up with the times and minimal warranty returns.

Yah, and I think Demarini and Miken are laughing all the way to the bank. They just bank on players using their old 44/375s on a spongy bat not designed to take that kind of punishment so that the bat gets tossed for spiral cracks or cracking.

Just shooting into the air, but I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see more rejections of spiral cracked bats made after 2013. After all, the manufacturers and players know they won't break using 52s, so that means you were using the bat for something it was not made for, voiding the warranty. Which would mean having to buy a new bat as opposed to getting a return for it.

All comes down to money, not safety, which is why Demarini and Miken haven't pulled any of their old bats. They can point to those models and say you should be using those bats for the old ball standard, not the new bats made solely for the 52.

In the meantime, Easton still makes a bat (2012 and 2013 being the exception) that will withstand both balls, just takes using the old ball and possibly a ball mallet to break them in faster. Don't know about you, but I'm not such a super major player that I don't need BP, so wanting to bat to be game-ready in 100 hits cuz I'm too lazy to hit BP and then having it break 400 hits later or banned by an ump for cracks isn't on my agenda.

That's why I purchased the 2011 line used at greatly discounted prices. I have not been disappointed in how the SRV4 and SSR4 hit 52s. If Easton withdraws those bats in the future, I will just buy the newer lines a greatly reduced prices. Seems everyone was ragging them completely, and now a few months later, people are like, "my bad, needed to give them more time to break in".

Why pay $200 for a fragile Demarini/Miken when I can get a $99 Torq or other post-2013 model and just take a little BP? Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Demarini or Miken, I have a Demarini DW, which just kills the 52, and it's not even close to being on the radar of being banned unless ASA just flat out bans everything pre-2013, which is very unlikely.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Agree to disagree. I believe you are handicapping yourself by swinging a bat not specifically designed for the new balls.

I only hit 52s and my DeMarini's have held up well. Yet to break one against exclusively 52s.