Recovery from Bonespurs in Heel

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I am approximately 10 weeks post op for the removal of a heel spur and shaving of the bone in my right foot. I was in a cast for 2 weeks, a walking boot for 2 weeks and now just doing activity as tolerated. I seem to be stagnant in my recovery, my foot swells if I do too much activity and its been like that since week 4 although less then what it was. Doc told me that when he did the surgery, the spur broke off and was free floating in my heel which caused pain and swelling.
Have any of you gone through this and did you sort of hit a wall in your recovery? Im just wondering how long Ill have this wierd feeling in my foot.

wcoastsoftball

I would liken it to a bone contusion basically. There is a lot of pressure exerted on the foot during gait. 2-5 times your body weight, so it will probably take a long time to heal. I have seen tibial plateau (knee) contusions take 8 weeks at least.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
Well, Im past the 8 weeks. I just dont like the tightness and the numbness sensation in my foot. Ive had people tell me it could take up to 6 months for it to totally heal.

wcoastsoftball

Well, Im past the 8 weeks. I just dont like the tightness and the numbness sensation in my foot. Ive had people tell me it could take up to 6 months for it to totally heal.

Could due to the factors listed, I don't deal much with these issues in my athletes, but the occasional bone contusion in other parts of the body, this is what I have seen. Did you have therapy for the scar tissue and such?

Rich4863

Combat Ho
No therapy. I tried massaging it on my own and the occasional trip to the jacuzzi, the incision area healed great. After my first visit to the doc after 2 weeks, you could barely see the incision. When I massage the area, it does feel kind of clumpy in spots.

Last edited: