ASA Relief from First

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played in a few different leagues, some ASA, some USSSA, as well as hybrids. I have been able to take relief from first in some of my leagues when I have a big lefty behind me. The other night the Umpire for my ASA league would not grant relief and actually got quite unhappy with me for asking. He got loud and started yelling that "it has never been a rule to provide relief" continuing on to say that they have been instructed in their ASA meetings to "NEVER grant relief".

Is this the case or was this just an angry ump having a bad day??

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Relief from first? What are you doing peeing on the field?

Yeah, I wouldn't let you do that, either! :p

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I have played a lot of softball, but never have I seen a player granted "relief" from first or even request it. That's ridiculous

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
All very clever responses and enjoyable to say the least.

When I say relief im talking about moving towards the fence line in foul territory in the event you have a pull hitter up.

Although judging from the responses so far, this sounds like an individual league rule.

p17

All very clever responses and enjoyable to say the least.

When I say relief im talking about moving towards the fence line in foul territory in the event you have a pull hitter up.

Although judging from the responses so far, this sounds like an individual league rule.

So you're leaving the base or no?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never in my life heard of a "relief rule". The standard rule is that you must maintain contact with the bag until the pitch reaches the plate or is batted.

And now, for something completely different...This is like the fourth post I've read this week where an umpire is described as "getting mad", loud, screaming, yelling, whatever, all over some simple rule question. Now, I don't know what was said, how it was said or who said what first. But the umpire is supposed to be the calm-headed one amongst the chaos, keeping his head and keeping his cool. If someone asks you a question, just answer it. If somebody breaks a rule, just enforce it. There's no need to blow a gasket!

When a guy blows up over nothing, it says more about his individual personality than his ability as an umpire (though some guys out there do seem to equate "loud" with "right"). Maybe this guy was just having a bad day. Maybe he finally snapped over the constant whining and bitching that is all to common in slow pitch softball. But he did have the rule right!

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah I didn't question his call or anything like that... Just simply asked if he would allow it seeings as how we had a Big Lefty up that hits the line 4 out of 5 times. Either way i assured him that i was not questioning his authority at which point he did become more level-headed.

just askin blue!

RodeoClown

ACCOUNT DELETED
He's not answering any question directly, so I have to assume he is actually leaving the base and going into foul territory :confused:

ok...thats what I thought......never ever heard of such a thing

do you get relief from 3rd if a righty is up ??

Forrest2b

Addicted to Softballfans
ok...thats what I thought......never ever heard of such a thing

do you get relief from 3rd if a righty is up ??

Probably a league thing. We can do this where I play if the ump is ok with it. Yes, you move into foul territory towards the dugout, staying in line with the base line (which is imaginary at this point.)

I got blasted by a foul ball on the foot months ago now I always ask for space or 'relief' (never heard that word used) when I'm on third and a particular team mate is up.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yeah I didn't question his call or anything like that... Just simply asked if he would allow it seeings as how we had a Big Lefty up that hits the line 4 out of 5 times. Either way i assured him that i was not questioning his authority at which point he did become more level-headed.

just askin blue!

Sometimes, it's not what you ask, but how you ask it.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never played in a league with "relief", but I know most of my teammates would love to have it when I come up to the plate...

Darkness

Starting Player
I still don't understand the purpose.

You don't trust your teammate to not blast the hell out of you? You'd rather hide in foul territory than be in good baserunning position because your teammate is up to bat?

... or perhaps the batter hates you and you know what his maniacal smile and pointing at you means???

If any of the answers to these questions are "yes", you should probably be looking for a new team right now.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow!!!

Next think you know we are going to have to put a net in front of each base with a baserunner to keep them from getting hit with a batted ball. In many cases they are already putting up nets and/or creating a "no hitting" lane to protect the pitcher. He's got a glove on just like everyone else. If your league has a relief rule then the players all need to wear skirts.

p17

Next think you know we are going to have to put a net in front of each base with a baserunner to keep them from getting hit with a batted ball. In many cases they are already putting up nets and/or creating a "no hitting" lane to protect the pitcher. He's got a glove on just like everyone else. If your league has a relief rule then the players all need to wear skirts.

This is exactly right

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the clarification, before my next league night ill remember to get a skirt and some tampons, oops my bad the tampons can wait a week. I knew I was missing something!

oppo

Coach

the-truth-demotivational-poster.jpg

I've seen a few places let you do that, but it was with umpire permission. If the league had any sort of structure or association tie-in, it was never allowed.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Per every league that I have been associated with.......all fielders (other than the catcher) must be in fair territory at TOP. If I am the umpire, no pitch can will be thrown under these conditions.

Have never heard of this. If you are that worried......why not move towards the F4?

Joel

thaynes

Per every league that I have been associated with.......all fielders (other than the catcher) must be in fair territory at TOP. If I am the umpire, no pitch can will be thrown under these conditions.

Have never heard of this. If you are that worried......why not move towards the F4?

Joel

I think he's saying he's running the bases and cant move out of the way of a batted balk by his team mate

oppo

Coach

Joel
...because he is the runner not the fielder.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
U can always assume the turtle position on base to protect everything.
Better yet, wear catcher's armor and facemask while running bases
then U'll be completely safe. U won't need a cup. ;)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
He still hasn't explained what this "relief" stuff is. I still think he's peeing on the field.

Are you on the base or not?