ASA Relief from First

Something doesn't make sense. If you are moving into foul territory directly in line with the 1B-2B line, then you are still in the same quandary if your big lefty pulls it just a bit farther. If they can control it well enough that you are ok a few feet from the base, they can control it well enough not to hit you while you are on base.

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
He still hasn't explained what this "relief" stuff is. I still think he's peeing on the field.

Are you on the base or not?

talking hypothetically relief is that I have reached first base, I have a big lefty behind me who pulls the ball hard and down the line like clockwork. Instead of me dancing all over the base everytime he hits i ask for relief. meaning that I am asking the umpire to move behind the base into foul territory, taking me away from where the ball is hit on a regular basis. whether it be i move into foul territory 3 feet or 10 feet, I am asking to start out of the way of what is sure to be a 100+ mph ball coming my way.

I have seen this be the case while on third as well, although not as often.

Like i said, Ive seen it done and it has been a possible situation for me a couple times. I ask and sometimes the umpire grants it, this other time the umpire seemed to be upset that i asked. So I was looking for clarification on whether or not it was common practice and must be at park/league/umpire discretion.

PHX5054

Addicted to Softballfans
talking hypothetically relief is that I have reached first base, I have a big lefty behind me who pulls the ball hard and down the line like clockwork. Instead of me dancing all over the base everytime he hits i ask for relief. meaning that I am asking the umpire to move behind the base into foul territory, taking me away from where the ball is hit on a regular basis. whether it be i move into foul territory 3 feet or 10 feet, I am asking to start out of the way of what is sure to be a 100+ mph ball coming my way.

Like i said, Ive seen it done and it has been a possible situation for me a couple times. I ask and sometimes the umpire grants it, this other time the umpire seemed to be upset that i asked. So I was looking for clarification on whether or not it was common practice and must be at park/league/umpire discretion.

Where are u playing in Az that lets you do this? I've played at just about evry park in the Phx metro area at one time or another and never have seen anyone ask for this let alone them do it.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans

So if the batter hits a rocket line drive to the 1b man, and the 1b beats you to the bag, are you out?

So many things wrong with this "relief" thing.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
So if the batter hits a rocket line drive to the 1b man, and the 1b beats you to the bag, are you out?

So many things wrong with this "relief" thing.
I don't know what the rule is, but I feel like this should be the case. If you want to take a "relief" for personal advantage (self-preservation), then you need to take whatever disadvantages come with not starting play on a base.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

I would think being in foul territory on a dead pull hitter would be even MORE dangerous, as they have just a little bit more time to gain more bat speed.

If you're that concerned, you can start with one foot on the safety base. ASA allows that, USSSA does not. You'll get about a good 3-4 feet from the foul line that way, and it's perfectly legal.

Teach your dead pull hitter to hit better.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Teach your dead pull hitter to hit better.

This. I like to hit me some third base line from time to time, but I dont do it with a guy on third. Lots of other places to hit a ball that dont endanger my teammates. Not that I hit that hard anyway, but still.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

It is a ludicrous request and no real umpire would allow it.

I hear the same thing when guys step off 3B with a RHB. Their argument is they get no advantage and that is a load of ****.

It isn't the other team's problem; it is against the rules, so it should be called by the umpire; and most of all, it is your ****ing teammate. If you are afraid to get hit, tell your teammate to hit the ball someplace else or find something else to do.

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
A lot of anger in some of these responses... let it be said that I'm not concerned with getting hurt, hit, or any other consequence that may come from the situation. playing out at BLD they have a whole slew of hodge podge rules that may or may not apply to any or all associations. Unfortunately i am left with trying to clarify which rules are legit and belong. That's the only reason I asked.

However, I will take into account and do the following: Teach each player not to hit the lines for doubles while players are at the corners, tell any and all umpires that grant such a thing that they are ridiculous, I will wear full catching gear when on first or third while assuming the turtle position and oh yeah I can't forget get skirts for the whole team that plays at a park that allows that.

Thanks!

But in all seriousness, I appreciate the clarification; Thank you!

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
A lot of anger in some of these responses... let it be said that I'm not concerned with getting hurt, hit, or any other consequence that may come from the situation. playing out at BLD they have a whole slew of hodge podge rules that may or may not apply to any or all associations. Unfortunately i am left with trying to clarify which rules are legit and belong. That's the only reason I asked.

However, I will take into account and do the following: Teach each player not to hit the lines for doubles while players are at the corners, tell any and all umpires that grant such a thing that they are ridiculous, I will wear full catching gear when on first or third while assuming the turtle position and oh yeah I can't forget get skirts for the whole team that plays at a park that allows that.

Thanks!

Not anger, just people that can't believe an ump would let a player break the rules

PHX5054

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks!

If you're playing at BLD they let you lead off when the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Get a lead off and then you won't have to worry about the ball hit down the line. What nights you play out there? Team name?

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're playing at BLD they let you lead off when the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Get a lead off and then you won't have to worry about the ball hit down the line. What nights you play out there? Team name?

Yeah lead off takes care of that, its the only park I know of that let's you lead off. Im on Tuesdays (remax/crush) and Fridays (beer me). You?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Well hell!!!

Why don't you just ask for time and tell them you want a ghost runner? Then it doesn't matter where the batter hits the ball.

But if you're not worried about being hit with the ball I don't understand why you then need "relief"...can you explain that?

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
Why don't you just ask for time and tell them you want a ghost runner? Then it doesn't matter where the batter hits the ball.

But if you're not worried about being hit with the ball I don't understand why you then need "relief"...can you explain that?

Hypothetical question, I've seen it done and simply asked and was denied. and I wanted to know the ruling.

But what a GREAT idea asking for a ghostie, never thought of that...

i have seen the relief as you say in some leagues,both at first and third,just have to retouch the base before advancing,it is not a rule just something i have seen done in some leagues for safety.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
i have seen the relief as you say in some leagues,both at first and third,just have to retouch the base before advancing,it is not a rule just something i have seen done in some leagues for safety.

Rule or not, the claim of safety is bull****.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
so you never have seen any runner hit at either base,hell they post on here constantly about whether they are safe or out after being hit,so yes if they can get off to the side it is safer......

Just as often as I've seen a runner hit in foul territory. I've also seen runners get hit on second base and runners get hit between bases. I've also seen pitchers and infielders get hit. And I've also seen coaches and ODB get hit and everyone, but the runners are allowed to stand or move to wherever they please prior to the ball being hit, so the premise that allowing the runner to move off the base for safety reasons is bull****.

If as a runner you want to feel "safer", tell YOUR teammate to not hit the ball toward the base upon which you are standing.