Remember when?

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
Do you remember the first time you heard a z hit the ball? I do. Now it's one of the most common bats out there. What other bats could you recognize just by the sound of a hit?

matt6195

Manager
Do you remember the first time you heard a z hit the ball? I do. Now it's one of the most common bats out there. What other bats could you recognize just by the sound of a hit?

First time I heard a Z as an umpire I thought it was cracked. The old Easton Metals made a nice ping sound.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
The Steele's XLT ting made titanium bats cover their ears.

The Z1000 may be the worst sounding bat. Ever.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
can you swing those in asa without being recerted?

Some yes, and some no. There are a couple of the older ones that have the ASA2000 stamp but are now on the non-approved list.

There are 3-4 PST's that have the ASA2004 stamp and are still good to go

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
Some yes, and some no. There are a couple of the older ones that have the ASA2000 stamp but are now on the non-approved list.

There are 3-4 PST's that have the ASA2004 stamp and are still good to go

looks like its just the XPST4 thats on the no-no list. the 2002 pst 137 should still be good with the 2000 stamp, no?

sjury

The Old Man
I took 6 swings with this the other day in BP before a game and hit two 52 cor evils out.... I was surprised at the way they hit that ball.....

richardnoggin

Extra Hitter
My orange Derby Boys sounds awesome. A couple of the guys on my team said, "Holy s***. What was that?" the first time I busted it out in a game.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
looks like its just the XPST4 thats on the no-no list. the 2002 pst 137 should still be good with the 2000 stamp, no?

You are right, I thought that there was more on the list but its just the XPST4.

The rules read as follows:

The official bat in ASA Championship Play must meet all of the requirements of Rule 3, Section 1 and:

The Official bat must bear either the ASA approved 2000 certification mark , the ASA 2004 certification mark as shown below, or the ASA 2013 Certification Mark (Slow Pitch ONLY) as shown below and must not be listed on an ASA Non-Approved Bat List with Certification Marks

This would make the PST137 good to go as long as the stamp is still there. The graphics on the older PST's didnt last long

Joker

or must, in the sole opinion and discretion of the umpire, have been manufactured prior to 2000 and if tested, would comply with the ASA bat performance standards then in effect. This includes Wooden Bats

richardnoggin

Extra Hitter
I also remember way back in the aluminum age when I first heard a Miken Ultra (in an ASA game). None of us had ever heard a composite bat up to this point. We all stood there looking completely dumbfounded as the ball sailed over our heads way out into the parking lot. Wow. What a bat.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Everyone knows I just used a Hammer, so it must be memorable.

The ASA Z1000 is very loud and distinctive. Most of the Z's stand out but this one was easy to pick out.

Erdrikds

<font color="#8B1A1A">Who dominates?I dominate.</f
I must say that the first time I hit the RD28 it sounded different than any other composite. Still kills any ball and sound different. Especially when I put a crack on one any bat with a crack changes sounds immediately.

GrinningBear

I took 6 swings with this the other day in BP before a game and hit two 52 cor evils out.... I was surprised at the way they hit that ball.....

You were original owner of that one weren't you? I'd keep the graphics pretty on mine if I paid 500000 for one too.

The XTRAs had the most ring. But not all of them. And it had nothing to do with shaving. Some docs deadened them in various ways. A Worth distributor told me the heavier ones rang less because the bigger load caught some of the vibration No idea if that's true or not because I never tested it.

GrinningBear

The Ultra 2 has a distinct crack. Helps confirm when a dude hits a knuckleball into the fence with a shiny Freak 98 and the bat goes whump-crack.