Retail vs Pro Issue A2K DW5

Looking to get a DW5. Can't decide between a retail and pro issue. Can't decide weither or not I want to spend the extra $150 for a pro issue not knowing how big of a difference there is between the two. Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Also, how tough do you think they would be to move and how much of the cost do you think I would have to eat if I were to grab both, compare side by side, and sell whichever I don't use?

shockfinder

Addicted to Softballfans
I have 4 gloves. 3 of them are PI. I don't regret it at all. They are really, really ice. I don't catch any better than I did with an a2k or regular HOH. I can't say it's worth an extra $150. But if you get them both you will have a tough time not getting the PI...just like a realtor or car salesman will show you something nicer knowing you will find a way to justify it. You might lose some if you got them both, but you might not. Just don't start any break in and you should be able to get most of your money back when you sell.

I have 4 gloves. 3 of them are PI. I don't regret it at all. They are really, really ice. I don't catch any better than I did with an a2k or regular HOH. I can't say it's worth an extra $150. But if you get them both you will have a tough time not getting the PI...just like a realtor or car salesman will show you something nicer knowing you will find a way to justify it. You might lose some if you got them both, but you might not. Just don't start any break in and you should be able to get most of your money back when you sell.

Thanks for the input. I have decided and am going to scoop up a retail and a Pro Issue and compare them for myself and decide what to do. The few retail DW5's I have seen on this board since I joined moved almost immediately. And the Pro Issue I would expect to take a little longer at the price. So hopefully whichever I decide to move doesn't take too long and doesn't lose too much off what I pay for it.

rocket354

Manager
Thanks for the input. I have decided and am going to scoop up a retail and a Pro Issue and compare them for myself and decide what to do. The few retail DW5's I have seen on this board since I joined moved almost immediately. And the Pro Issue I would expect to take a little longer at the price. So hopefully whichever I decide to move doesn't take too long and doesn't lose too much off what I pay for it.

Cool keep us updated. I've love to see an unbiased comparison between a retail and PI glove (given that I can't afford to do one myself, haha).

Podo

"JewDoe"
Plus I just joined glove-works last night so that would add another way to sell it along with ebay.

So the stock one from gw and the pi from salamander lmk what u think of the two. I've been wanting one for a while, but can't make up my mind either.

So the stock one from gw and the pi from salamander lmk what u think of the two. I've been wanting one for a while, but can't make up my mind either.

Yea most likely picking up the stock from the guy on gw and yes, the PI from salamander. And will do.

mattingly

Starting Player
No. Although the retail A2Ks are very nice. Only real difference in the 2 is price and colors you can't get through retail.

The other difference would be that many of the current 'NWT PI A2000's and A2K's' that are circulating, are actually sample gloves that Wilson decided they couldn't resell/reissue as new gloves.

Mason4208

The other difference would be that many of the current 'NWT PI A2000's and A2K's' that are circulating, are actually sample gloves that Wilson decided they couldn't resell/reissue as new gloves.

I agree ESP with the bar codes and sku #'s on the tags now. More than likely minor league pro issues for them to try and use during spring training.

mattingly

Starting Player
I agree ESP with the bar codes and sku #'s on the tags now. More than likely minor league pro issues for them to try and use during spring training.

Yup... and some were just sample gloves, to show retailers/dealers what the new gloves/colors looked like. I think lots of people have unknowingly spent a hefty chunk of change on a slightly used sample A2000/A2K, instead of a 'NWT PI'.

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
So is it fair to say there's not much difference? Linedriver5 told me there was a significant difference.

PHILTHY19

Addicted to Softballfans

Can you prove this statement? Just wondering where this info is coming from?

PHILTHY19

Addicted to Softballfans
Any way you can prove it? I bought a couple gloves from Mo that are supposed to be PI's if that's not the case I would like to file a PayPal claim.

if they have they pro issue "white tag", the stamp under the thumb strap, and the "pro issue" stamp on the thumb (a2000 only) then I don't really think there would be a way to prove they aren't actual pro issue gloves

PHILTHY19

Addicted to Softballfans
if they have they pro issue "white tag", the stamp under the thumb strap, and the "pro issue" stamp on the thumb (a2000 only) then I don't really think there would be a way to prove they aren't actual pro issue gloves

Ok mine have all these things or had since I removed the tag.

mattingly

Starting Player
The only thing you could prove, is if the glove appeared used or not (several people have said that their 'NWT PI', already had palm ridges, the beginnings of break points and/or a pocket, or other signs of light use). Other than that, most of the sample gloves were stamped and tagged no different than a glove ordered from the pro dept... these are the risks of buying PI's from secondhand (or third or fourthhand) sources.

There's an eBay seller who sells Rawlings Pro Stock retail gloves, as 'Pro Shop' gloves... once you buy the glove from him, it's just your word against his as to whether he really got the glove from Rawlings' pro dept. or not.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I would like to compare them myself. I am a Vinci Rep and we make different price point gloves we dont offer pro issues and most pros would revive glove from our stock unless they requested a stock glove. Even then the same materials are used so really the same glove. I always hear how pro gloves are better and I know how good our gloves are so to see the top of the line and use one would help me be subjective when helping customers :)

shockfinder

Addicted to Softballfans
The only thing you could prove, is if the glove appeared used or not (several people have said that their 'NWT PI', already had palm ridges, the beginnings of break points and/or a pocket, or other signs of light use). Other than that, most of the sample gloves were stamped and tagged no different than a glove ordered from the pro dept... these are the risks of buying PI's from secondhand (or third or fourthhand) sources.

There's an eBay seller who sells Rawlings Pro Stock retail gloves, as 'Pro Shop' gloves... once you buy the glove from him, it's just your word against his as to whether he really got the glove from Rawlings' pro dept. or not.

At least at one point the "pro stock" from Rawlings Gear were pro dept gloves sent to sprIng training. I think it's safe to say that if you have a 1781 it came from the pro dept. I was told my 1799 was a spring training sample glove. I'm cool with that. It's seriously the nicest leather I've ever personally seen and touched. It's definitely nicer than any retail a2k I've owned. Only one other glove comes close. But it's still not my fave glove.

mattingly

Starting Player
Great points, Jeff. As for the Rawlings spring training gloves, they are pretty much considered demo/sample gloves to show off patterns, sizes, new models, etc... that's why in the past they have used leathers like Timberglase on those gloves, instead of the standard tan or black that most pro's order their gloves in.
And yes, 1781's are a PI only pattern, but the one's that have sprouted up online recently were ones that were used down in spring training, came back up and Wilson didn't think it was ok to put them back in the pro dept. inventory. Just think, if Wilson wanted to start selling new 1781's from out of their pro dept. inventory, they'd do it themselves or send them to their big time retailers to sell... they wouldn't end up in the hands of kids on eBay and youtube, who make bizarre glove videos from their bedrooms (you've probably seen some of the links to the videos, over on GW).

LOL... I have a sneaking suspicion as to what your fave glove is, though...

Mason4208

I kind of have a hard time believing that the bullpen pitcher from Detroit uses a retail model Vinci, but I've been wrong before. I'm sure the gloves from lisabiz (mo) are pro issue quality they're just used from pro players to sample. If they decide they like that pattern then Wilson cuts the glove to fit they're specs. Such as Pedroia's requests for less heel padding and long laces. Most minor league guys will keep the sample glove if they like it for a ridiculously low price. I think when you guys hear "pro issue" you're thinking same glove as so and so in the majors...not the case. Major pro's gloves are made to their specs and the leathers are cut to fit their needs and hand sizes. If a 2B wants a glove to close deep they'll make it so the break point is different place.

So while these "pi" gloves are still professional issue; they aren't big league gloves. They're pro issue samples. And the quality difference between retail and pi is much bigger with the A2000 line than the A2K's

Mason4208

It's prob better. Better pattern prob a more consistent size and fit throughout. But I feel retail A2Ks are very nice. A very good alternative to the pi A2000's ESP in here where they can be had for the price of a retail A2000 msrp. You're just going to get pro colors you can't get retail. But if you want the 1781 pattern, (12" that plays around 12.5) you're only option is buying pro issue and spending the $ for it. If they had a retail 1781 A2K I think that would be a better value because the quality will be about the same and youd be able to get it for substantially less than a pi version; but some guys want the actual pro glove. Pros use these because it their profession and use it everyday, we don't play softball professionally so we don't NEED pro quality, nor have the hands for it to make a difference.

Mason4208

It's a great pattern, can play anywhere in the IF. You can form it deep or flat. If you've got quick an soft hands it should suit you very well. Depending on your budget an A2K will be great but the older A2000 1787 black and tans are well made also IMO. Eastbay has the old Hanley colors and it's not kip like an A2K but will most certainly get the job done. Just take care of the glove and it should last you a good while.