Review: USSSA Wegman and ASA Realtree

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Good news everyone. I finally got to take my new USSSA Wegman and ASA Realtree into the cages this afternoon. I've got nothing but good things to say about the Wegman, and the Realtree has potential.

27oz Wegman: I put about 120 hits on it and it started really sounding/feeling nice towards the end of my session. The first 50 or so hits were very stiff, and hits were really felt in the hands. It also started with a dull thud noise on contact. But after 80 or so hits, the bat started making an awesome, very loud, very satisfying crack sound. It is definitely everything I was expecting out of an Easton 1 piece. Which is good, because the last Easton I liked was the XL2. Lots of feedback into your hands, but didn't really get any bad stingers. A couple a little in on the hands caused some buzz feedback though. Weighting feels great, and I didn't seem to mind the 2oz endload. I believe this is due to it being a tapered endload. The Wegman really seemed to kill the ball effortlessly, especially after going over 100 hits. I can only imagine how sweet this thing will be with another 200 or so hits on it. Then I'll really be looking forward to taking this thing head on with my DC41s outside once the weather warms.

26oz Realtree: This bat was also very stiff in the beginning, but also towards the end after 120 or so hits. It didn't really change much, only slightly. The bat started with a crack sound, and it did get ever so slightly louder after the session. It does sound great though. The 1oz end load is noticeable for a 26oz, and I thought it swung only a tad lighter than the Wegman which is a 27oz with 2oz endload. I am curious what it will feel like to swing it next to my 26oz 2015 Miken DC41. The bat didn't have near the exit speed as the Wegman. Balls were coming off good, it's not like the bat was dead. It just wasn't on the same level. I'm going to say initial reviews are correct though, and believe this bat needs around 500 hits to reach gamer status. Time will tell. I like the bat, and will continue to break it in. I only hope the long break in will lead to endless durability.

The stock Easton grips I did not like at all. I don't normally wear gloves, and these things were ripping my hands up. I can only believe these would destroy batting gloves too.

Any questions ?

Last edited:

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I was hitting mostly Classic Ms with a few 52/300s mixed in. I am unfamiliar with the L4, but it did not seem as noticeable as my 26.5oz LV1. I had no problems getting the head around on the Wegman.

stillballin

The Veteran
thanks bro... I have a ASA wegman coming my way and looking forward to swinging it.. It sounds like the endload weight is going to fit my swing nice...

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I rolled the dice on a 27oz and do not regret my choice one bit. If you like 1pc bats, this one will not disappoint. After the first use, I really think this might go head 2 head with the DC41. I'm just trying to take my honeymoon phase with the Wegman slow. :)

Dupe19

Addicted to Softballfans
My 27 wegman is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to get some tee swings!

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
My 27 wegman is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to get some tee swings!

I wish I could rewind to the point where the sound morphed into the loud crack it makes now. Swung it another 30 times today for a total of about 150 hits on it, and I am still loving it. Trying to get it to about 250-300 before I bag it until I can take it outside once for a quick distance check before the season starts.

Dupe19

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish I could rewind to the point where the sound morphed into the loud crack it makes now. Swung it another 30 times today for a total of about 150 hits on it, and I am still loving it. Trying to get it to about 250-300 before I bag it until I can take it outside once for a quick distance check before the season starts.

We'll see what my phone picks up but I'll try and record my tee work and see if I can catch the sound changing. I've got a good mix of 52s 44s and basicay stadium balls that should work nicely. I'll bring my bucket to work so I can just head to the cage right after... IF the bat shows up. Usps has been awful lately.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Update: Both bats now have roughly 250 hits on each. The Wegman is way out of the Realtrees league as far as performance goes right now. The final showdown is going to be the 2014 DC41, 2015 DC41, and 2015 Wegman all going head 2 head outside to see who will be #1 on the gamer chart. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks the snow will be gone, and the temps will be 50*+.

Roland

Addicted to Softballfans
Same for me Scotty, 600 swing Realtree was my gamer but my Weggy with < 200 swings is hotter IMO.

PaulyP1

Banned User
Update: Both bats now have roughly 250 hits on each. The Wegman is way out of the Realtrees league as far as performance goes right now. The final showdown is going to be the 2014 DC41, 2015 DC41, and 2015 Wegman all going head 2 head outside to see who will be #1 on the gamer chart. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks the snow will be gone, and the temps will be 50*+.

Wow. Kinda surprised to see that it's that far ahead of Realtree. That's pretty awesome because the Realtrees I've swung are pretty nuts right now. The Wegs does get hot pretty quick so hopefully the Realtree catches up. Good reviews bud.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Way too many factors here to be comparing the two bats. One piece vs two piece, short barrel to long barrel, different swing weights and let's not forget USSSA to ASA. What gets the best results for one person may not be the same for another. I personally prefer my LV1 over anything else, but my realtrees aren't broke in all the way yet. With that being said the two realtrees in my bag are polar opposites of one another. The Utrip one was much...much hotter then the ASA out of the wrapper. This also goes for the two Kirbys I just received as well. The USSSA line from Easton is game ready in 200 or less swings and the ASA versions will not be for at least 500 or so swings.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Way too many factors here to be comparing the two bats.
Let me be clear if it wasn't. This is not a Wegman vs. Realtree review. The only reason I am "comparing" these two bats is they are both 2015 models, I got them at the same time, and I am breaking them in equally every time I take BP. I know they are 1pc vs 2pc, and I know they are ASA vs NSA. I am giving my experience with them side by side. Also to be clear, I like the Realtree very much. It has a great sound and feel, but I am letting everyone know that the initial reports are true that they need a lot of loving before they are truly "gamer" status.
**The Utrip one was much...much hotter then the ASA out of the wrapper. **The ASA versions will not be for at least 500 or so swings.
Seems you actually reiterated everything I just said and have reported so far.

Hendo9

Softball Junkie
PM me I have USSSA WEGMAN 27oz like new just out of the wrapper under 5 cuts ;) for sale 200 shipped out UPS Air

Last edited:

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Update: After inspecting my bats tonight, I've noticed a lot of webbing and a small hairline crack about 2" has formed on the ASA Realtree. This is kind of disappointing since the bat only has about 250 hits on it. I don't want to use my warranty return, but I'm not sure it'll pass compression at this point.

For the guys selling Wegman: I bought mine brand new in the wrapper with return and receipt for $175 shipped from a facebook softball community bro.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
What balls were you hitting? Spiral crack, vertical, or sharktooth?

Random assortment of very used classic Ms and 52/300 bp balls. It is a vertical crack. It is actually just over 1" long on the long white stripe on the opposite side of the Realtree, Easton, Mako logos.

aarond419

Addicted to Softballfans
i hit my utrip wegman for the first time today. i was in a cage so i couldnt tell distance. but i gotta say the bat felt great. i put about 100ish maybe 150 on it today and was very very please. i got mine from a $15 raffle so i got super lucky with pricing.

the line drives were crisp and the the ball flew through the cage. i am hoping to get out to a real field in the near future if this damn snow will ever go away.

i have not owned a easton since the OG CNT+ and Flex so I cant compare the 2015 Wegman to anything recent but I will say if this is how the eastons are hitting then i have been missing out.