Any revisit the dp rule at 2b

has there been any change to the rule that says anything about sliding or getting out of the way at 2b when ss/2b are trying to turn the dp......yes i was finally persuaded a few yrs back by the umps here on what the rule really is and having been backing that when it comes up on the field.....now i'm getting umps telling me the runner has to get down or out of the way......has there been any change....and what is it....this for slowpitch.....thanks......

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
has there been any change to the rule that says anything about sliding or getting out of the way at 2b when ss/2b are trying to turn the dp......yes i was finally persuaded a few yrs back by the umps here on what the rule really is and having been backing that when it comes up on the field.....now i'm getting umps telling me the runner has to get down or out of the way......has there been any change....and what is it....this for slowpitch.....thanks......

No changes. I would NEVER tell a runner slide or get out of the way. As long as he/she is running the bases "correctly" there's no need. A runner just can't disappear because they get out out.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Check the league rules. Often leagues have "down or out of the way" rules.

I agree that there is not a "book rule", but as I said very often leagues have some type of rule (which of course supersedes the book)

Dallusglockin

BP All-Star
As a SS, I expect the runner to be in the baseline when running towards 2B. If they stay within the baseline, they probably won't get hit. When the runner isn't where I expect them to be is when they have a problem.

But there is not a blanket rule saying the runner must slide. Your local rules may say otherwise.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My area UIC and myself were arguing with a TD about this a couple weekends ago. He was adamant that it was interference for the runner to not move out of the fielder's way. The only thing that seemed to get through was when we asked how quickly the runner had to get out of the way, and then how quickly do these B and C players get rid of the ball. I think it's a generational thing and a carryover from baseball.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

No, no changes to the rules. It's just that old rule myths die hard.

milesej05

The Rookie
So how would you call a play if the guy sliding into second takes out our 2nd basemen while trying to turn a double play?

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this rule different for NCAA? There was a play in one of the recent regional or super-regionals (possibly Utah v. Alabama) where the SS's throw hit the runner from first in the helmet. She appeared to be in the base path, yet the batter-runner to first was called out because of runner interference.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this rule different for NCAA? There was a play in one of the recent regional or super-regionals (possibly Utah v. Alabama) where the SS's throw hit the runner from first in the helmet. She appeared to be in the base path, yet the batter-runner to first was called out because of runner interference.

I believe that their actual rule reads about the same, but they've recently come out with an interpretation that does allow an umpire to call interference in some circumstances. It says that the umpire has to judge if the runner had adequate time/opportunity to avoid the throw.

So...sometimes it would be interference, sometimes it wouldn't be!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe that their actual rule reads about the same, but they've recently come out with an interpretation that does allow an umpire to call interference in some circumstances. It says that the umpire has to judge if the runner had adequate time/opportunity to avoid the throw.

So...sometimes it would be interference, sometimes it wouldn't be!

That interpretation which IMO is not supported by their rule makes it open season on advancing runners.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
My area UIC and myself were arguing with a TD about this a couple weekends ago. He was adamant that it was interference for the runner to not move out of the fielder's way. The only thing that seemed to get through was when we asked how quickly the runner had to get out of the way, and then how quickly do these B and C players get rid of the ball. I think it's a generational thing and a carryover from baseball.

I have had some issues with local umps on this last year. I get out of the way in time or slide overtime, but I am not going quietly into the night. I put what little pressure I can when I can. They have the opportunity to put it through my chest if I was interfering, but if I can let em know I am coming sometimes that can cause a non-throw or ineffective throw. Part of the game imo.
I don't do this in co-ed leagues cuz that is just for fun...unless it is a guy vs a good team. ;)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had some issues with local umps on this last year. I get out of the way in time or slide overtime, but I am not going quietly into the night. I put what little pressure I can when I can. They have the opportunity to put it through my chest if I was interfering, but if I can let em know I am coming sometimes that can cause a non-throw or ineffective throw. Part of the game imo.
I don't do this in co-ed leagues cuz that is just for fun...unless it is a guy vs a good team. ;)

Used to take care of guys like you when playing 2nd. Relays to first were always thrown from below the waist. :)

stork

If I am still there that is. If they haven't gotten the ball at 2B yet and made the play with it, I don't see why I should stop trying to make the base. Haven't hurt anyone, haven't taken one. But I can appreciate your style.

stork

tumblr_o7dskmVa4P1voo0udo1_500.gif

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

If I'm the batter, I'm looking for a cop to arrest the catcher. It was obviously intentional and needs to be addressed as what it was, not what it wasn't (a baseball play on the field)

If I'm the umpire, that catcher is done, and probably the manager when he comes out to defend such bull****.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If I am still there that is. If they haven't gotten the ball at 2B yet and made the play with it, I don't see why I should stop trying to make the base.

That is the exact point of those who think requiring the runner to cede the base when there may be a throw to 1st.

ok just what i thought......now i have to make sure the runner is not running thru my arm when throwing....from 2b not as big a prol as i stand on the RF side of the bag....but when i'm playing ss they have a tendency to attempt to run thru the bag...and usually to my throwing arm side....i'm usually standing on LF side of the bag for the throw and slide toward RCF....when throwing......never have a prol with any runner sliding unless they attempt to do something dirty like kicking.......or something like that........

thanks everyone....now need to find out if there is a park rule about it....

Hiltz

Built for comfort
As a SS, I expect the runner to be in the baseline when running towards 2B. If they stay within the baseline, they probably won't get hit. When the runner isn't where I expect them to be is when they have a problem.

This. When I'm playing 2b, I always step off the base to one side or the other on a double-play. I've never hit anybody, but I've had a few near-misses when I sidestepped towards RF to throw and the runner decided to veer into RF at the same time.

So how would you call a play if the guy sliding into second takes out our 2nd basemen while trying to turn a double play?

If he slides off path or overshoots the bag in an obvious attempt to take him out... ejection and parking lot beat-down.

If he slides straight into the base with cleats down and takes him out... teach your 2nd baseman proper footwork.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
Runner: Run hard, slide into the bag and not over the bag, slide as late as is reasonable, don’t “take out” anybody
2B/SS: Be anywhere but directly on the bag attempting to throw through the base path I have been establishing for the last 50 ft.
As long as both parties follow the above there will be no issues and no “slide rule” would be required.

I’m not making it easy for the MI to make the play but I’m not taking a thrown ball to the noggin either. Once the fielder is has begun the throwing motion you aren’t really going to impact his ability to make the play so you may as well remove yourself from the position of taking said ball to said noggin.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This. When I'm playing 2b, I always step off the base to one side or the other on a double-play. I've never hit anybody, but I've had a few near-misses when I sidestepped towards RF to throw and the runner decided to veer into RF at the same time.

If he slides off path or overshoots the bag in an obvious attempt to take him out... ejection and parking lot beat-down.

If he slides straight into the base with cleats down and takes him out... teach your 2nd baseman proper footwork.

And therein lies the problem - too many rec leaguers don't know jack **** about playing their positions, which results in these ridiculous "slide or get out of the way" rules.