RL vs Melee 2

ruu-dog

E Rec Player
Looking at these two bats..Rocket Launcher and Melee 2.. Which is hotter? Also how is the durability on these?.. I would need a durable bat... Thanks

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
Have not swung the RL but my 30oz end loaded Melee has gotten
up to 380 swings and feels great. Really kicked up a notch after the
300 swing mark.

Ron T

W.O.M.D.
Rl / adidas

My 26oz. el (adidas) by far exceeds my 26oz. el (RL), in both pop and distance.
Still, however pales in comparison to my Reebok Melee which is a beast.
JMO

ruu-dog

E Rec Player
well on the website it says ..guaranteed to be the hottest bat or money back..For the RL...lol

Doug

Old and Grumpy
Now that I have nearly 100 hits on my Melee 2, I can conclusively say that at 100 hits on each it's a toss-up; the RL 26ba, Melee 27el and Dudley 12" are all about the same for distance.

However, the Melee is still improving rapidly, whereas the other 2 were starting to level off somewhat. Therefore, I believe that the Melee 2 has the greatest potential; one with 300+ hits that I tried was :thumb: :thumb:

As far as swing weight goes, the RL 26ba swings heaviest, followed by the Melee 27el. The Dudley 27el 12" swings very slightly lighter than the Melee.

If you buy a Melee, unwrap it and hit it only with 44/375's, it may disappoint you at first as it did me. It sounds horrible at first and feels very stiff. Stay with it and put 100 quality hits on it, and then you will start to have a nice bat. I estimate that my Melee will be fully game-ready at around the 125 hit mark.

jhitman

IMO the Rocket Launcher is MUCH hotter than the Melee 2 out of the wrapper.

From 0 to 100 hits the Rocket Launcher wins.

At 100 hits the Dudley 12" takes over

Melee 2 with 300+ swings I tried is hotter than either of the above two, but out of the wrapper it is a log.

From what I've hear the durability on the new Melee is excellent.

Maybe I got a good one then. My Melee2 was hot on the very first swing. We were hitting good softballs so I'm sure that made a difference. I have about 50 swings on it now and seems to be getting even better. One more BP session and it's going in the bag.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I have one I got from Wayne LT44 that has a couple hundred swings on it, its my gamer and Straight fire. I have one still in the wrapper I hit off the T in my warehouse. I hit a mix of Evil BP rockets and some Evil 44HOTMax balls. Its got about 100 hits on it but theres no reason to bring it out as the Wayne one is almost automatic for me, as long as I dont pick a suck-ass pitch.

Doug

Old and Grumpy
RL Revised?

Apparently the place that sells the RL has a new batch of 25 thru 27oz that are lighter and less endloaded than before (a good thing!!) I asked how the new swing weight compares to other bats, and did not receive a definitive answer. Before it was pretty much go down 2oz. Do we now go down 1oz, still 2oz, or use the same weight as other bats we swing? :confused:

Last edited:

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I picked up a 27 balanced Dudley yesterday and was surprised how light the swing weight was. I dont have any #s on the 27 Balanced Adidas but memory says it has a slightly more end weighted feel than the Dudley

hamneggs

We had a tourney last weekend...I had a chance to dry swing both EL and balanced Melee2 in a few different weights. All felt heavier than the Dudley's in corresponding size and load. I think I'll go down in weight for the Melee. Love the sound and the ball was jumping for sure !

Doug

Old and Grumpy
I agree that the Dudley swings lighter but it's not a huge difference, feels maybe 1/4oz lighter

tjohnston

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 25oz. that has about 175 swings on it, started to open up around 75 swings and at 175 its pretty hot but my concern is it started to rattle yesterday, not sure how much I have left, will post when it breaks. I also have a Miken 26oz ultra that I used at Smokey this past weekend with about 250 on it and I don't feel there is much difference in performance, so for me it would be the one that holds up that I will go with. Have not tried the RL, like Combat but sounds like to much end load to even try for me.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
My 27 El with 400 plus swings has a rattle, sounds like a BB from the end load is loose but who knows. Bat fits my swing perfectly. I have not loved a bat this much since the 1996 Demarini Ultimate Distance.

Doug

Old and Grumpy
After a break due to bye week, an injury, and a temporary switch to a Senior Juggy, I finally got my Melee 2 broken-in at 125 hits. Using Evil 44/375's, hit #126 went 345'. Hit #127 went 360'. Gamer!

Banero

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't hit the RL myself, nor have I seen anyone hit one. But I hit a walkoff last night with my 27oz Melee 2 that went over 330'. If I hit HRs, they usually just clear the fence.

No more BP for my Melee 2. Games only, and only by me.

Doug

Old and Grumpy
How
I haven't hit the RL myself, nor have I seen anyone hit one. But I hit a walkoff last night with my 27oz Melee 2 that went over 330'. If I hit HRs, they usually just clear the fence.

No more BP for my Melee 2. Games only, and only by me.

How many hits do you have on your Melee now?

FIZGIG

Dead fish go with the flow!!!!
Ive only had my Melee 2 for about 50 cuts and its way hotter than the RL without any structural damage that you get with the RL. The Melee2 is for real