Roster check?

cbohrman44

Earnstaf tribute
I've been playing ball for 20+ years now...first time I have ever been a part of this mess.....we were on our 4th game of the day, lost the first game and won the next 2. This team goes up 9 runs in the top of the 1st inning. we come up and put up 3. they come up and put up some more, anyways they go up by about 10-11 runs by the 4th inning. One of the guys on my team knows the pitcher from the opposing team and says he doesn't think he plays for them....Long story short he decides to roster check them. I think it's a terrible idea, mainly because of the timing of the call out....and I think its dumb to call out 1 guy. If we lose we lose, but lets try to win by good ball playing, not a chicken **** roster check. So the roster check is made, he is in fact an illegal player, so they game is over. They are calling us every name under the sun (understandably). The director comes over to make sure our roster is good. It is good to go, however, one guy doesn't physically have his ID on him, it's in his truck in the parking lot. Well you can't leave the field to get it...double forfeit......haha....I had to chuckle and drove my happy butt home.....
Anything like this happen to any of you?

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
we were roster checked during a league tournament. the coach didn't have a solid roster and a bunch of us were picked up midway through the season. so the coach then reciprocated with his own call for a roster check. they had 2 guys who were not on the roster. the director said its probable that we could disqualify all 10 teams in the league if we did a roster check on all of them....there are no egregious players who had no business playing in this league and therefore, he let it slide. The other coach was still mad....but what choice did he have. he was in the wrong too.

It was a pretty hilarious situation to me.

There was also an over 50 team that would play regular league locally who got so fed up with changing rosters they roster checked their way to a league championship. the old guy team was full of guys who everyone knew and had played with at one time or two. everyone was kind of pissed but also like ok fine.

D-ROCK13

I have seen basically the same situation before, wasn't mine team, but it was funny. Roster checks don't happen often around here though, the league charges $30 to dispute rosters so its rare

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Leagues should limit roster check requests to whoever is running the team. In our league, only the coach/manager can request an appeal on an umps call.... the umps ignore everyone else.

JP21

Local league I play in has the team rosters online and has to be final (no more additions) after June 15tish.. Every player has their photo taken and is posted online. So random scrubs or ex minor/major league ball players cant just show up for playoffs. Seems to work as there has never been an issue... until someone shaves their beard lol

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
It's pretty simple if you don't have enough of your rostered players don't go playing a tourney.. yes it was stupid to call it out that far into the tourney but that is what rosters are for, sign the damn thing and play with your roster..
We go through that kinda s*** all the time with teams in our leagues. Every team I play/d for has always had enough on the roster and only play with guys on it..

Country469

I've been protested at least 10 times. Usually in local E or D **** where I got to be a drop down in freedom or something. The one time I negotiated a one weekend frop only too the director made like $75 off me. Jermy you owe me a beer still.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd rather play whoever's in front of us, no matter who they are. Take your L like a man. Geez.

So you have to carry your ID to the field? WTF? smh

So you're worried about where guys stand in the batter's box, but not if the team is there legally? So you'd be ok losing to a C team in an E tourney, bc "take your L like a man"?

blakcherry329

So you're worried about where guys stand in the batter's box, but not if the team is there legally? So you'd be ok losing to a C team in an E tourney, bc "take your L like a man"?
Obviously not the whole team, but 1 or two guys, no big deal.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Why does it matter when you do it? Hell I'd probably take Visitors, bat my 3 outs then do it. If you don't like it there's a simple fix.....don't cheat!

Redsfan

Why does it matter when you do it? Hell I'd probably take Visitors, bat my 3 outs then do it. If you don't like it there's a simple fix.....don't cheat!

It sort of makes you look like a b***h when you wait until your about to get run ruled before you protest. My feeling would be that he would've kept his mouth shut is he was up 10 instead of losing by 10.

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball should just be wood bat open roster the whole god damned time and we can just ****ing play ball and see who is the best team on the field that day. I hate softball players.
^^^ ding ding.. or even singlewall aluminum bats would determine better hitters

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
sounds like your teammate left his balls in the truck in the parking lot too

Redsfan

Softball should just be wood bat open roster the whole god damned time and we can just ****ing play ball and see who is the best team on the field that day. I hate softball players.

I could get on board with this but it would never happen. Softball has opened the technology window and that will never close as long as players think they need to buy their talent by getting hot bats and juiced softballs. Used to have to earn your HR's. Now miss hits can go 300+.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I love how many guys here aren't concerned about roster issues....yet the vast majority of you all play at the lowest division possible and brag about winning a tournament, in the rare instances that happens. But I know, you just haven't gotten your shot yet, or a look, or schmoozed with the right people. I get it, you'll play whoever whenever......except in reality.

Play by the rules......and there is no rule saying a team has to protest at a specific time in the game, just during the game. The team with the illegal players is the one doing something wrong, not the team protesting it. Hell IMO it'd be funnier if they waited until the last possible out to do it. Don't like it, don't cheat. And stop bullying the teams who do it right.

Last edited:

Country469

I love how many guys here aren't concerned about roster issues....yet the vast majority of you all play at the lowest division possible and brag about winning a tournament, in the rare instances that happens. But I know, you just haven't gotten your shot yet, or a look, or schmoozed with the right people. I get it, you'll play whoever whenever......except in reality.

Play by the rules......and there is no rule saying a team has to protest at a specific time in the game, just during the game. The team with the illegal players is the one doing something wrong, not the team protesting it. Hell IMO it'd funnier if they waiting until the last possible out to do it. Don't like it, don't cheat. And stop bullying the teams who do it right.

Protesting needs to be done at the first pitch, or shouldnt be allowed. Its not more ***** made to do it down 10 in the 4th, its bush league because you have wasted 40 mins of field time, an umpire, and potentially put your players in an injury situation for a meaningless game. Protesting after the first pitch is just plain ****ing stupid and wasteful.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Protesting needs to be done at the first pitch, or shouldnt be allowed. Its not more ***** made to do it down 10 in the 4th, its bush league because you have wasted 40 mins of field time, an umpire, and potentially put your players in an injury situation for a meaningless game. Protesting after the first pitch is just plain ****ing stupid and wasteful.

Sorry I was bordering on 3XC extra-wordiness there. Please allow me to simplify:

Having illegal players = ***** made
Protesting illegal players = not ***** made

Don't be a *****!

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Like I said earlier, I'd consider being Visitors, take my swings then protest. But you're there to play (fair competition) so why not take advantage in a no lose situation and play some? Your team gets some swings, you can work on a few things, and see where you stack up. If it's your 5th game of the day, or you potentially have 5 more on the day, then maybe just get it over with. There is no 1 scenario that fits all, but the bottom line is there is no crying if the other team simply plays by the rules that everyone else is. By not doing so, you forfeit any and all rights to complain about how and when it goes down.

Country469

if you need practice, go take bp for 40 mins and get more in

nothing you said there has shown me that its not ***** made. Its just all about me me me and never about the other teams and director who are affected too. Nice.