Any ruling call?

Oxbow

Ok the situation:
bases loaded 2 outs.
Hit on the ground goes through the infield to shallow outfield. Batter reaches 1st runner on 3rd reaches home. Now for some reason runner from 2nd to 3rd falls down and is being trown out at 3rd but not before runners to 1st and home reach (well before the play was made).
Now runner at 3rd is out but now the question does the run score?

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
my guess is that if the runner going to third was forced out the run does not county. If it wasnt a force at third (and he was tagged out) the run counts.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
tagging the runner in this instance is still a force out.

There's this misperception that tagging a runner that's forced to advance is somehow inherently different from tagging the base they're forced to advance to. They seem to think that if you tag the forced runner, it somehow loses its status as a force play. This is absolutely incorrect.

You may tag the runner, or you may tag the base. Either way, it's a force out. Always has been. Good call, johnsonrod.

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
my guess is that if the runner going to third was forced out the run does not county. If it wasnt a force at third (and he was tagged out) the run counts.

This guy is right^^^^ I didnt think he was implying that if the runner was tagged it wasnt a force. I thought he meant if it wasnt a force out which would need to result in the runner having to be tagged out then the run would count.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
This guy is right^^^^ I didnt think he was implying that if the runner was tagged it wasnt a force. I thought he meant if it wasnt a force out which would need to result in the runner having to be tagged out then the run would count.

tagging the runner in this instance is still a force out.

correct. I wasn't implying tagging wasn't a force, I wasn't clear that it was the original runner from 2nd going to third, or a guy rounding second and going to thrid.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
There's this misperception that tagging a runner that's forced to advance is somehow inherently different from tagging the base they're forced to advance to. They seem to think that if you tag the forced runner, it somehow loses its status as a force play. This is absolutely incorrect.

You may tag the runner, or you may tag the base. Either way, it's a force out. Always has been. Good call, johnsonrod.

wow, I've always had that misperception