USSSA Run scores?

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
1 out, runners on 1st and 3rd. Fly ball caught, runner on 3rd tags up, runner on 1st doesn't. Runner crosses home before throw comes to 1st to double up the guy that didn't tag. This is a timing play, not a force, so run scores, correct?

ureout

The Veteran
yes run scores
1 out, runners on 1st and 3rd. Fly ball caught, runner on 3rd tags up, runner on 1st doesn't. Runner crosses home before throw comes to 1st to double up the guy that didn't tag. This is a timing play, not a force, so run scores, correct?

yes run scores

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
I do like hugs;)

I had seen this play many times. The other team argued, relentlessly....even after the State UIC came over and backed up the call....I spoke about it to a few other guys last night, who also said it's a force play....seems to be more confusion on this than any other situation. Appreciate the response! I'll just direct them here next time;)

lb16

the natural
I do like hugs;)

I had seen this play many times. The other team argued, relentlessly....even after the State UIC came over and backed up the call....I spoke about it to a few other guys last night, who also said it's a force play....seems to be more confusion on this than any other situation. Appreciate the response! I'll just direct them here next time;)
Ask the players that debate this where is the force? The runner on first was not forced to go to 2nd! No force out!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I do like hugs;)

So the call that was made was that the run did score?

Mmartini

Maybe I interpreted it differently, but the runner was out at 1st because they did not tag on the fly out, not 2nd base trying to advance on a tag up. Is this still a 'timing' play? My inclination would be it's a 'force' out at 1st.
Similar to appealing whether a runner tagged up or left early.
Interested in learning more.

RustyShakleford

The runner is out when a fielder touches first base while in possession of the ball, not just by being tagged out. Isn't that the definition of a force out?

No it is not. The USSSA rule book is available on their website for anyone to read. Since they secured it and you can't copy/paste anymore.

Mmartini

No it is not. The USSSA rule book is available on their website for anyone to read. Since they secured it and you can't copy/paste anymore.
Interesting, I wouldn't have ever thought of it like that, glad I stumbled across this thread.
It brings so many hypothetical questions up.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
The runner is out when a fielder touches first base while in possession of the ball, not just by being tagged out. Isn't that the definition of a force out?

Think of it this way: You are never forced to go backwards - only forwards.

If a player is running bases and misses a base, after the play is over you throw the ball to the base they missed and step on it for appeal for the out. You don't tag the runner. Is that also a force out in your book?

Mmartini

Think of it this way: You are never forced to go backwards - only forwards.

If a player is running bases and misses a base, after the play is over you throw the ball to the base they missed and step on it for appeal for the out. You don't tag the runner. Is that also a force out in your book?

Not a force, but the run wouldn't count in this scenario right?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Not a force, but the run wouldn't count in this scenario right?

This is nothing more than just a live ball appeal. It only looks like a force out, as the defense isn't verbalizing what they're appealing because it's so obvious to everyone else involved.

Bottom line - this is NOT a force out, it's nothing more than just a race back to the base.