Any runner called out

jonsey

I saw this play the other day, runner on 1st and a line drive back to the pitcher the runner was about 2 steps off the bag, the runner just beat the throw back to the bag but stepped on 1st basemans foot instead of the bag the umpire called him out for not actually touching the bag isn't the fielders foot considered part of the bag in this scenario

jonsey

could this be considered obstruction since the fielders foot was blocking the bag before he received the ball?

Joker

could this be considered obstruction since the fielders foot was blocking the bag before he received the ball?
probably not, since the runner still had access to the base. the foot doesn't cover the entire base

Country469

I can yeah. a foot is a small object and if his body was blocking the base enough for obstruction you'd never be able to find one foot even accidentally

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
What part of can't block the base without the ball is difficult to understand for you? The rule isn't that as long as a runner has access to PART of the base. You can't block the runners access without the ball. Know the rule if you're going to comment.

If the first baseman is set up with his foot on the inside part of the bag and the middle of the bag a guy with a size 12 shoe could be blocking 12" of the 15" access part of the bag for a runner coming back to the base. Also, possibly, have to go through/around the first baseman. Without seeing the play, you can't say there isn't obstruction. This play is one of those had to see to make the call kind of things.

Joker

What part of can't block the base without the ball is difficult to understand for you? The rule isn't that as long as a runner has access to PART of the base. You can't block the runners access without the ball. Know the rule if you're going to comment.

If the first baseman is set up with his foot on the inside part of the bag and the middle of the bag a guy with a size 12 shoe could be blocking 12" of the 15" access part of the bag for a runner coming back to the base. Also, possibly, have to go through/around the first baseman. Without seeing the play, you can't say there isn't obstruction. This play is one of those had to see to make the call kind of things.
so there is still part of the base that the runner has access to? i mean a foot is only 4-6" wide, that's still a lot of base that can be touched. lets go with a size 12 shoe like you said is about 12" and say its 6" wide, that's only 72 square inches. a base is 225 square inches. there is 153 square inches of base for the runner to touch. it's not being blocked

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
firstbasemanok.jpg

Legal.

If his foot is back six inches, illegal if he doesn't have the ball and prevents the runner from reaching the base.

Stretch19

Grow up
someone needs to teach that kid how to receive a ball at first base

if that kids foot was back 6" it would be on the bag...pretty sure its not illegal for a 1b to have their foot on the bag while awaiting the throw

Joker

none of that means anything since in this situation the runner was coming back to 1st base from the 2nd base side of the base

if the fielder is standing in that position in the picture in the OPs situation and the runner steps on his foot instead of the 12" of open base, that's on the runner

Stretch19

Grow up
you asked who said the 1b was blocking the bag and that post clearly asked if it could be obstruction since the foot was blocking the bag though

whether its the correct definition of obstruction or not, thats where it came from

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing was said above about the 1st baseman not having the ball.

And Joker isn’t an umpire. He needs to stop giving incorrect info and should for the most part stay out of this section. If I’m not mistaken this isn’t called “Ask the Troll”

qwertle8

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like a bang bang play, really (for me) to get obstruction it would have to be the 1b making a body attempt to physically block the runner from coming back to the base or something as drastic as sitting on the base. Grayest area would be a big player standing with both feet on the base, I could see someone feeling that he was attempting to block access to the base in that case. But if the defender has one foot on the base while making a good faith attempt to make a play I just can't see getting worked up about no obstruction call.

Last edited:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
No, the runner has to reach the base. It could be obstruction if the fielder's position or actions prevented the runner from making it back. The only way I see this being called is if the fielder put themselves directly between the runner and the base. My question would be if it was a hot shot back to the pitcher, how was F3 close enough to the base to receive the throw? Most fielders I see are 10-15ft off the bag and not the most athletic of people.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like a bang bang play, really (for me) to get obstruction it would have to be the 1b making a body attempt to physically block the runner from coming back to the base or something as drastic as sitting on the base. Grayest area would be a big player standing with both feet on the base, I could see someone feeling that he was attempting to block access to the base in that case. But if the defender has one foot on the base while making a good faith attempt to make a play I just can't see getting worked up about an obstruction call.

And this is wrong

jonsey

Irish--- Nope, that is wrong-----And this is wrong---Foot location is irrelevant.--- if that's your answer why bother