Any runner called out

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Why not give the umpire kudos for actually seeing that the runner didn't touch the base? A lot of umpires aren't necessarily watching the play that closely, especially if the plate umpire didn't move at all from behind the plate.

Joker

for someone who claims to know so much, you'd rather talk down to people instead of explaining it

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The runner gets to determine his path to a base, not the fielder. Leaving "part of the base" or "some of the base" accessible doesn't matter. If the fielder had his foot on the base- anywhere- and the runner was prevented from touching the base by that foot BEFORE the fielder had the ball, then it would be obstruction.

But forget about all that for a minute...

Have somebody put their foot on a base. Now have somebody else run to that base and try to perfectly have his foot land on top of the other foot and balance there perfectly without any part of his foot touching the base.

Yeah, right...I'm calling BS on that...

Joker

The runner gets to determine his path to a base, not the fielder. Leaving "part of the base" or "some of the base" accessible doesn't matter. If the fielder had his foot on the base- anywhere- and the runner was prevented from touching the base by that foot BEFORE the fielder had the ball, then it would be obstruction.

But forget about all that for a minute...

Have somebody put their foot on a base. Now have somebody else run to that base and try to perfectly have his foot land on top of the other foot and balance there perfectly without any part of his foot touching the base.

Yeah, right...I'm calling BS on that...
so lets say a 1st baseman has their foot on the base to field a ground ball from 2nd/3rd/SS, it's on part of the base like the picture posted earlier. the batter/runner steps on the foot instead of the rest of the base that is open. there is no part of the fielder's body that is blocking the batter/runner's path to the base. you know like 99% of plays at 1st base. even if you assume the batter/runner didn't touch the base at all. are you calling obstruction?

ureout

The Veteran
so are you calling obstruction?

there is a difference between a runner going from home to 1st base.. and a runner returning to the bag.. a runner returning should have clear access to the bag unless the fielder has the ball or is about to receive the throw.. and that doesn't mean waiting, waiting, waiting then the catch..

Joker

there is a difference between a runner going from home to 1st base.. and a runner returning to the bag.. a runner returning should have clear access to the bag unless the fielder has the ball or is about to receive the throw.. and that doesn't mean waiting, waiting, waiting then the catch..
ok, we all know that. thanks

ureout

The Veteran
joker ...below was your post from earlier today and I was answering it.. .

so lets say a 1st baseman has their foot on the base to field a ground ball from 2nd/3rd/SS, it's on part of the base like the picture posted earlier. the batter/runner steps on the foot instead of the rest of the base that is open. there is no part of the fielder's body that is blocking the batter/runner's path to the base. you know like 99% of plays at 1st base. even if you assume the batter/runner didn't touch the base at all. are you calling obstruction?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

No, there is no difference as it pertains to OBS

ureout

The Veteran
No, there is no difference as it pertains to OBS

yes you are correct OBS is OBS... what I was referring to was the NORMAL position of a 1st baseman on a batter/runner.. he USUALLY is on a corner of the bag and awaiting a throw which gives the runner a lane to run behind him.. as compared to a 1st baseman returning to the bag in the above scenario.. many times the 1st baseman end up in the middle of the bag waiting for the throw.. then I may have an OBS call

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
yes you are correct OBS is OBS... what I was referring to was the NORMAL position of a 1st baseman on a batter/runner.. he USUALLY is on a corner of the bag and awaiting a throw which gives the runner a lane to run behind him.. as compared to a 1st baseman returning to the bag in the above scenario.. many times the 1st baseman end up in the middle of the bag waiting for the throw.. then I may have an OBS call

And that has been part of the problem for years that led to the double base, players not being taught how to play the position and that goes all the way to the majors

Last edited:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Since I work USA ball, and they use a double first base, if a batter-runner contacts a fielder set up on the white bag like that it will be interference and the runner will be out.

For a single base game...You can "what if" and "maybe" this to death. The rule is the rule and that's what I'd apply. If the fielder impedes the runner BEFORE having the ball, it's obstruction. It's not "maybe not obstruction if his foot is here" or "might be obstruction if his foot is there".

See the play...apply the rule. Don't overthink it!

Joker

it's not that complicated of a scenario, not sure why none of you can give a straight answer

Joker

they haven't answered yes or no to my scenario

anyone can cite rules and such, but they don't want to apply them to real world scenarios

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
they haven't answered yes or no to my scenario

anyone can cite rules and such, but they don't want to apply them to real world scenarios

You have been offered every bit of information, yet you still refuse to take that information and apply it.

Are you really that lazy?

Not worth the trouble. I'm done with this one

Joker

i'm asking a question on how umpires would call a certain situation with a simple yes or no. i can't read their minds no matter what information i have or how i'm the one that's lazy when i'm waiting for an answer