Any Runner safe at 2B, but out for taking her foot off the base. How is that scored?

blwanta

How would I score this... I have a runner on first and the batter bunts (attempts to sacrifice) and the catcher picks it up and immediately throws it to the second baseman where the runner is safe (standing), but her momentum put her over the base and it allowed her to take her foot off the base and the second baseman had her glove still on the runner and was called out by the tag. How would I rule the play? I initially the charged the batter as reaching first on a fielder choice and the runner is out 2-4. Would this be correct?

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a hit. Runner obtained 2B and wasn't out on the force. She was out on a tag AFTER obtaining 2B, same as if she had continued to 3B and been thrown out at third on a single to the OF.

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
Please excuse me if i'm totally wrong here but...

Wouldn't this be a fielders choice (Since the catcher went to 2nd instead of 1st) with a 2-4 put out and not a single.

blwanta

Wouldn't it be a sacrifice if the batter is out or unless reaches base on an error? There was no error on the play and the catcher didn't even look at first (even though the batter was going to be out, if she did throw it to first).

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a play I'd have to see to call. It could be a FC if the catcher had time to throw out the batter/runner, but instead chose to throw to 2nd. An out doesn't have to be recorded for there to be a fielders choice. If the catcher didn't have a play on the batter at first, I'd call it a hit.
Now once the runner touches second safely, it is no longer a force, so it is scored a 2-4 putout on the tag. I'm leaning towards calling this a hit.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
so same scenario, if a runner is going home from third at the time and scores before runner pulls off of the base at 2nd that would be counted as a hit and RBI and a 2-4 put out?

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
If the batter was attempting to sacrifice, no matter the result of the play, it is not a hit. In this case, had the runner at second been safe, you still have a sacrifice and not a hit.

sjury

The Old Man
It's scored a sacrifice when a runner advances to scoring position or a run scores, you don't score by what you think they are attempting.

Either way, by definition, it's a fielder's choice, and no hit scored. 2-4 put out on runner and a Fielder's Choice for the batter.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
It's scored a sacrifice when a runner advances to scoring position or a run scores, you don't score by what you think they are attempting.

Either way, by definition, it's a fielder's choice, and no hit scored. 2-4 put out on runner and a Fielder's Choice for the batter.

I don't think you can call it a FC if you actually read what the OP put. The runner to 2nd was called safe, then momentum pulled the runner off the base and runner was tagged out. Technically I think that would be called a baserunning error and a hit, no different than if a batter hit it to the RF and the runner was tagged out trying to go first to third

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, it's only a sacrifice if there was an error that allowed the batter runner to be called safe. If there was a play on the runner at second (before they got to the bag), it'd be a fielder's choice. If the runner beat the throw to seeing and there was no play on the batter runner, it's a hit

sjury

The Old Man
I don't think you can call it a FC if you actually read what the OP put. The runner to 2nd was called safe, then momentum pulled the runner off the base and runner was tagged out. Technically I think that would be called a baserunning error and a hit, no different than if a batter hit it to the RF and the runner was tagged out trying to go first to third

By definition a fielder's choice is any batted ball that the fielder chooses to make a play on another runner when there's a force play at first. No out needs to be recorded to score a fielder's choice, just that they could have thrown to first. In this case the fielder chose to go to second.

Yeah, it's only a sacrifice if there was an error that allowed the batter runner to be called safe. If there was a play on the runner at second (before they got to the bag), it'd be a fielder's choice. If the runner beat the throw to seeing and there was no play on the batter runner, it's a hit

An error is an error, if the fielder messes up a play there's no fielder's choice or sacrifice, it's an error. A sacrifice is when the batter bunts or hits and a runner scores, or in baseball or fastpitch is advanced into scoring position, but the runner is put out. A fielder's choice is where a play can be made at more than one base and the fielder chooses to play someone other than the runner.

In this case it's a fielder's choice, and a put out at second. Even if the girl was safe at second, it should still be a fielder's choice for the batter. There is no hit in this case.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
14.2.28 Sacrifice: Credit given to a batter who, with fewer
than two outs, advances one or more runners by bunting and
is called out at first base or would have been called out had no
error occurred; or is not called out because the defense plays
on another base runner who advances safely

From the NCAA scoring manual. If the defense plays on another runner and does not record an out, the batter is credited with a sacrifice, not a hit.