Safety Practices When Pitching

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
SAFETY PRACTICES WHEN PITCHING

1) Angle the dirt in front of the mound.... I've never had a ball hit the rubber and bounce up except when I did not smooth and angle the dirt..... make it a ramp that prevents the ball from 'catching the lip'....

2) After the pitch, step back from the rubber.... at least two steps and then SET YOURSELF BEFORE THE BALL IS HIT.... Don't be backpedaling when it's hit, you'll be off balance...

3) After the pitch, always raise your glove to chest-high..... this gives you the best reaction point to protect both high and low critical areas.... your shins, feet and ankles will definitely fair better in a direct hit than your face or the family jewels....

4) After the pitch and you're set, concentrate all your attention (1000% of your attention) on the ball at the very second it is hit with the bat.... This cannot be emphasized enough---- CONCENTRATE ALL YOUR ATTENTION ON THE HIT --- this will give you an EXTRA 1/100 of a second in reaction time --- treat every hit as though it was going to come directly back at you....

5) Keep track of the batters..... Knowing how batters hit will help prepare you to handle the shots around you.... and if you have a batter that is determined to hit it directly at you, don't feel obligated to give him the chance.... pitch around him or intentionally walk him.... it's part of the game....

6) Lobby your league to create a PITCHING BOX..... allowing you to pitch upto 6 feet behind the pitching rubber.... and teach your pitchers to use all 6 feet of the box.... this is a safety issue that can be addressed without affecting the rest of the game.... USSSA & ISA already provide this & ASA has done this at the senior level but not all levels.... IT IS THE BEST CHANGE OUR ASA LEAGUE EVER MADE FOR PITCHERS.... even if some pitchers don't use it (idiots)...

7) If you're scared, DO NOT PITCH..... seriously, you should be comfortable in that position and need to keep practicing until you are.... if you do not have the reflexes to avoid being hit by the ball at the level you play, reconsider your position or the level at which you play.... Softball should be FUN, but it's definitely not fun to be seriously injured...

8) Buy protective equipment.... it's better than getting an injury.... Especially, use a protective net during BP - you tend to get lazy during BP and don't protect yourself every second.... Decide what protective equipment you need for your league/level... Face mask, mouthguard, shin guards, etc.

9) Mix up your pitches and put some arc in them.... because keeping the batters off-balance (as much as possible) reduces the chance for them to square up on the ball and send it back the middle...

Be safe out there....

(ID)

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans

1) Angle the dirt in front of the mound.... I've never had a ball hit the rubber and bounce up except when I did not smooth and angle the dirt..... make it a ramp that prevents the ball from 'catching the lip'....

2) After the pitch, step back from the rubber.... at least two steps and then SET YOURSELF BEFORE THE BALL IS HIT.... Don't be backpedaling when it's hit, you'll be off balance...

3) After the pitch, always raise your glove to chest-high..... this gives you the best reaction point to protect both high and low critical areas.... your shins, feet and ankles will definitely fair better in a direct hit than your face or the family jewels....

4) After the pitch and you're set, concentrate all your attention (1000% of your attention) on the ball at the very second it is hit with the bat.... This cannot be emphasized enough---- CONCENTRATE ALL YOUR ATTENTION ON THE HIT --- this will give you an EXTRA 1/100 of a second in reaction time --- treat every hit as though it was going to come directly back at you....

5) Keep track of the batters..... Knowing how batters hit will help prepare you to handle the shots around you.... and if you have a batter that is determined to hit it directly at you, don't feel obligated to give him the chance.... pitch around him or intentionally walk him.... it's part of the game....

6) Lobby your league to create a PITCHING BOX..... allowing you to pitch upto 6 feet behind the pitching rubber.... and teach your pitchers to use all 6 feet of the box.... this is a safety issue that can be addressed without affecting the rest of the game.... USSSA & ISA already provide this & ASA has done this at the senior level but not all levels.... IT IS THE BEST CHANGE OUR ASA LEAGUE EVER MADE FOR PITCHERS.... even if some pitchers don't use it (idiots)...

7) If you're scared, DO NOT PITCH..... seriously, you should be comfortable in that position and need to keep practicing until you are.... if you do not have the reflexes to avoid being hit by the ball at the level you play, reconsider your position or the level at which you play.... Softball should be FUN, but it's definitely not fun to be seriously injured...

8) Buy protective equipment.... it's better than getting an injury.... Especially, use a protective net during BP - you tend to get lazy during BP and don't protect yourself every second.... Decide what protective equipment you need for your league/level... Face mask, mouthguard, shin guards, etc.

9) Mix up your pitches and put some arc in them.... because keeping the batters off-balance (as much as possible) reduces the chance for them to square up on the ball and send it back the middle...

Be safe out there....

(ID)

10) assume every ball is going to be hit at you

um..............

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
12) Try to avoid pitching low and outside to the larger and meaner looking hitters with bad bat control.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
13) Don't be afraid to pitch outside. :D

For general safety rules, I don't like things moving around on my head I'm not used to.

13) Don't wear a new pair of sunglasses, new hat, or anything that could distract or disrupt you (towel, etc.) in a game without trying it out first. I have seen so many guys try a new towel position and get their glove caught up and get hit or not make a play I've lost count. Sunglasses bounce on your head, hats fall in your eyes, etc.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
13) Don't be afraid to pitch outside. :D

For general safety rules, I don't like things moving around on my head I'm not used to.

13) Don't wear a new pair of sunglasses, new hat, or anything that could distract or disrupt you (towel, etc.) in a game without trying it out first. I have seen so many guys try a new towel position and get their glove caught up and get hit or not make a play I've lost count. Sunglasses bounce on your head, hats fall in your eyes, etc.

I've never seen this happen, and if you wear a hat that fits properly, it should never happen.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans

Be safe out there....

(ID)

All the pitchers out here except me and another guy pitch off the front of the rubber and step towards the plate, creating a hole right in front of the rubber. Pain in the ass to fill it in every inning and smooth it out, but I do it every time

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never seen this happen, and if you wear a hat that fits properly, it should never happen.

I never thought I'd see a Yankee with a crooked hat and a big ole swipe of pine tar on his neck either though, and I saw that the other day.

I'm talking about things you're not used to, so I'm talking about guys that don't normally wear hats wearing them when it's cold or raining, and they obviously don't know how to wear them properly. That's mainly what I see, although I have seen some tools with the New Era reflective gold sticker still on the underside of the bill and I'd swear they were missing all they were because that was still on there. We all knew the hat was new though. :rolleyes:

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Good stuff ID, theres a chance I will be pitching this year after a 4 year retirement this started me thinking about it again. Thanks.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
15) Throw a first pitch strike. 50/50 shot they will take a first pitch. If they do, you have the next 3 to make them hit your pitch.

16) Pay attention to equipment being used. I have seen bats without new stamps attempt to be used.

17) Arrange your players on the field if you know a hitters tendencies.

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
All good stuff here!! I started wearing shinguards this year (hockey style). I've been hit a few times pitching.....most of the time in league because I am just out there flipping the ball in going through the motions.

One thing that wasn't mentioned for new pitchers............don't run your mouth when someone goes middle, we all chose to pitch and know what can happen. All you are doing by yapping your trap is giving the opposing team more reason to go middle.

Glove up, gear up, and stay safe!!

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't step directly back when I pitch .. I step off the rubber (to the side of it). Other than that a bunch of good info in here!!

kumslivo

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the first year I'm wearing protective gear but after seeing numerous pitchers get hit in tournaments I finally gave in. Wearing protective gear will make you a better pitcher but you'll lose a little bit of quickness and vision defensively. I find myself having much more pitching control because I'm not as worried of getting hit. I walk onto the mound wearing:

Worth Pitching Helmet
Sunglasses
Evo Chest Protector
Cup
Broomball leg guards
13.75 inches of leather

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Like I said earlier, pay attention to the hitters and their tendencies. If you know a guy pulls the ball, when you back off the mound after the pitch, go back at an angle towards that direction. That's why I also mentioned to position your guys on the field before the play. Shift your SS/2nd accordingly and play on the side of the bag where you think he will hit and play between the bag and the SS/2nd.

And yeah, like kumslivo said above, I wear the worth pitching helmet during tourneys. Won't step on the field without it.

I think though, the BIGGEST thing that can be done by a pitcher, is shut your mouth if you get hit at. Like said before it is part of the game. Another position on the field. It is going to happen. Instead of fueling the fire with your mouth, have your teammates fire right back. When the other team knows you can hit the middle as well, either it is going to stop or they are going to hammer you more. Just depends on how well you field it.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans

Be safe out there....

(ID)

Good advice.

Pitched last night only because I had to. Got hit middle 3 times. Snagged 2 of them and turned them into double plays.

After releasing ball be ready. I get nervous pitching after seeing guys get blown up and hearing storirs

kokamojo15

Manager
I must be insane I throw a knuckle ball and just let them hit I get hit I get it. Only pooped a couple times and that was when I was pitching to major players

GoldGlove4

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty common sense but good points for new pitchers. I cringe when we play a league ball tourney team and the pitcher doesn't even try to get ready for the ball. You just shake your head because they're playing a 4 man sooo where is the best chance of a hit?

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
One thing that wasn't mentioned for new pitchers............don't run your mouth when someone goes middle, we all chose to pitch and know what can happen. All you are doing by yapping your trap is giving the opposing team more reason to go middle.

And don't do the "roll the ball to the first baseman" or any other douchey move when you snap someone off. Throw the ball and keep playing like it isn't the first time you've ever stepped to the strip.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
BeckettMad_zps884b64d9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Great way to get people hurt......shouldn't that statement be made to the guy(s) that hit at you first BEFORE you and your teammates hit back? If you feel that the only way to prove your a badass at SLOWPITCH softball is to take out a pitcher, your a *****. Hit beside me or over me. I don't care. But you want to blast me? I let the first 2 slide every time. After that, game over. It's on. But I tell my teammates when to pull that trigger. So don't start that "good way to get someone hurt" ****. I have been hit to many times by big mother****ers only to crush their dreams when I show them the ball in my glove. You must not pitch though or else you would understand what it is like to play on the mound.

Joker

Great way to get people hurt......shouldn't that statement be made to the guy(s) that hit at you first BEFORE you and your teammates hit back? If you feel that the only way to prove your a badass at SLOWPITCH softball is to take out a pitcher, your a *****. Hit beside me or over me. I don't care. But you want to blast me? I let the first 2 slide every time. After that, game over. It's on. But I tell my teammates when to pull that trigger. So don't start that "good way to get someone hurt" ****. I have been hit to many times by big mother****ers only to crush their dreams when I show them the ball in my glove. You must not pitch though or else you would understand what it is like to play on the mound.

you should probably shut up now

kayakmaker

Average at best

Your're softball guy arent you?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over

This reminds me --- Although I generally don't wear sunglasses ('cause I want a clean vision of the hit)....

10) ALWAYS WEAR SUNGLASSES WHEN PITCHING INTO THE LOW SUN ... even though it reduces your vision of the hit, it will at least allow you to track the ball as it rises off the bat --- Without sunglasses, the sun will totally blind you to being able to track the ball...

%%%

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
and don't do the "roll the ball to the first baseman" or any other douchey move when you snap someone off. Throw the ball and keep playing like it isn't the first time you've ever stepped to the strip.

absolutely don't roll the ball!!!

Ive seen this start a fist fight or two