SCN3 vs L6.0

BobGregg5

Manager
I'm new to posting and I apologize if this question has been answered already. I have been looking all over and I haven't found the answer yet. I currently swing the OG Flex and I'm wondering if I should pick up the new L6.0 if for no other reason but to use when the 52/300 balls are being used. Will the L6.0 out perform the flex with both the 52/300 and the 44/375? I know durability can be an issue with the 44/375 but I'm not sure I hit the ball hard enough to break it anyways. I have considered the Ultra ASA too but I'm an Easton guy so I figured I'd go for the L6.0. Any help would be great. Thanks

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
It's the Indian not the Arrow, if you're getting solid hits with the scn3.. I don't see any reason to switch.

The idea behind the new bats is they don't take 400-500 hits to warm up like the OGs do.

So in turn you get a shorter life out of the bat, but don't have to do the work on them to get them game ready.

Both bats still fall under the 98 mph so you wouldn't see a drastic change by switching.

hitman444

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea I'd just swing the SCN3 for now, unless you really want another bat. If youre flex is broken in, then it's gonna hit the 52 cor ball just as well...

BobGregg5

Manager
Thanks for your help guys. I just figured with the new testing procedure, the new bats would be hotter and since I have never broken a bat before, I wouldn't have to worry about the durability of even using them with 44/375's.

TurboLumpy

Hum it in there
Just for the sake of argument, my Derby Boys hits the .52 better than my fully webbed SCX3 ever did...

jf2k4

Just for the sake of argument, my Derby Boys hits the .52 better than my fully webbed SCX3 ever did...

From what I hear the Derby Boys outhits a shaved Ultra.

You can hit it 500 feet into the wind.

grubd

Banned User
I decided to go with the flex with the asa league I am in using the 375. I had the flex with the 300s in a league last year and didn't like it. Believe it or not I picked up a white cv12 and had much better success.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
My league is going with 52/375s and I am going to keep my OG Flex to use but I had the same question.

BobGregg5

Manager
Derby Boys and the J3A have intrigued me as well because of the very high ratings they've been receiving here. I will keep my Flex for sure but still may consider picking up a new ASA bat. I just don't know which one. I've been swinging the Flex and Stealths for so long, I don't know much different. I wish I could buy three or four and then sell the one's I don't keep but I don't think the wife would be very happy. ;)

Last edited:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Both bats still fall under the 98 mph so you wouldn't see a drastic change by switching.

Except the old 98mph that applied to the ASA '04 bats is not the same as the new 98mph that applies to the ASA '13 bats. Old bats were tested with a .44/375 and a simulated 85mph swing, with a maximum performance limit of 98mph; the new bats are tested with a .52/300 and a simulated swing speed of 80mph, with a maximum performance limit of 98mph. Same absolute exit speed limit, but drastically changed relative performance.

The old test basically allowed a maximum ratio of 98/110 (98 out, 110 in), while the new test allows a maximum ratio of 98/105 (98 out, 105 in). The new bats are hotter.

Having hit the ASA DB, it's superior to even my beloved SCN5Bs.

Roundin4

Hit it and Sit it
Except the old 98mph that applied to the ASA '04 bats is not the same as the new 98mph that applies to the ASA '13 bats. Old bats were tested with a .44/375 and a simulated 85mph swing, with a maximum performance limit of 98mph; the new bats are tested with a .52/300 and a simulated swing speed of 80mph, with a maximum performance limit of 98mph. Same absolute exit speed limit, but drastically changed relative performance.

The old test basically allowed a maximum ratio of 98/110 (98 out, 110 in), while the new test allows a maximum ratio of 98/105 (98 out, 105 in). The new bats are hotter.

Ummmm......:confused:......What the hell did you just say???? :eek:

jf2k4

Yes, but a well broken in flex would easily exceed the allowable compression ratio.

So I don't consider a well broken in OG to be drastically superior to a 2013 stamp.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
do you mean 52/300's?

yup, my bad :eek:

Yes, but a well broken in flex would easily exceed the allowable compression ratio.

So I don't consider a well broken in OG to be drastically superior to a 2013 stamp.

This, late last year our LD got a compression tester and I gave him my OG Flex that was en fuego to test. He tested it and laughed, he said it was the worst bat he has ever tested and it's 100% stock.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm still not, and probably never will be, sold on compression testing. I understand the theory, but no one has yet been able to explain how exactly they determine that X psi = Y mph. I've also seen bats fail miserably and other bats that were every bit has hot pass with laughably high numbers. Granted, it failed a bat of mine that realistically didn't have any business passing anyway (stock, but retarded hot), but it passed a cracked Speed of mine that objectively should have failed just as horribly; it also gave my SCN6 a passing grade, which is obviously flawed.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
It's the Indian not the Arrow, if you're getting solid hits with the scn3.. I don't see any reason to switch.

The idea behind the new bats is they don't take 400-500 hits to warm up like the OGs do.

So in turn you get a shorter life out of the bat, but don't have to do the work on them to get them game ready.

but there's a big difference between me swinging the bat and a good hitter.

if both bats are allowed to hit 98mph but one bat is being swung 5mph slower, that bat is going to be much hotter.

from my experience the new asa bats are quite noticeably hotter than any previous asa bat i've ever hit with.

that being said, it's up to you if you want to mess with success. you can continue getting hits with your tried and true gamer, or risk trying to learn to hit with a new one to gain that extra 20feet.

i'm moving on to the new stuff, but only because the j3a feels as good to me as the juggy. so there was no learning curve, instant success.

beak9

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry, but I can tell u this, with 1 swing, my j3a is way hotter then my ext ever was....IMHO...

Also, isn't Asa now hotter then the utrip bats... Thus hotter then the old 98mph standard?? So in all, the shouldn't be a comparison between the old bats and the new...the new should be (by standards) way hotter.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Like I said, the new stuff is, sadly, better. The revision to the testing has an enormous impact on the real-world performance.

Even my mighty 4Bs and 5Bs are no match for the '13 stamps. :(

pont22

I will continue to swing the Flex/Ext this year only for the fact that both my leagues still use the 44/375 ball. Playing in the upper Midwest, the manufacturers suggested temperature usage is only valid two months of my season. I've owned the new J3a, and it felt nice. However, I have since sold it and moved back to my older bats for one more season. We have used the 52/275(300) ball for four summers here in Minnesota(bigger tournaments).

I just have my doubts with durability with the newer bats. Until I see them first hand, in a tournament with the new softballs, I will continue to hit something with proven durability with any ball.

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
Like I said, the new stuff is, sadly, better. The revision to the testing has an enormous impact on the real-world performance.

Even my mighty 4Bs and 5Bs are no match for the '13 stamps. :(

Agreed, I swung my Super broke in ready to pop 4b ( trying to blow it up, had a small crack in it anyways) out of 20 pitches hit some nice HRs with it, Then picked up the j3a and first swing was HR that beat the 4bs best by 30feet

Ive swung countless OG flexs/extendeds/4bs/5bs and not one of them ever came close to the performance of the J3a

Roman2469

The Veteran
Its hard to say..I mean i got the j3a and my buddy used it and he hits about 5-10 hrs a year and second swing with it(had about 10 hits on it)he puts one out..now mind you that we had a db275,b3,l4,l6 pink and black jeff hall(utrip)z2k,and a 2012 z1k,and nobody came close to a hr with any other bat(52.300 balls).i swung it first and i have never come close to a hr and i hit the fence on the third swing of the bat.I have hit og bats and never hit shots that i was hitting with the j3a..so imo the j3a seems hotter with the 52.300 balls then the og bats i have hit.

BobGregg5

Manager
Well, I started this thread out, asking about the L6.0. After scouring the message board and checking reviews, I ended up buying the J3A. I will probably switch back and forth between my OG flex and my J3A depending on the temperature and balls. I hope I like the J3A. Thank you everyone for your input.