Senior softball is fun but

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree - the complainers are the people WHO ARE NOT EVEN PLAYING BSSUSA SENIOR BALL ... WTF -- stick to your
ASA E league or USSSA E league and find the correct forum to cry about balls to hard or bats that suck.. This is a senior softball thread.
I will say this - since playing 5 years of 50 Major plus - I haven't heard one guy or team complain about the bats and the balls.
And for you guys that do whine about everything --DONT PLAY THEN.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
It’s a very simple answer, if YOU don’t want to play and are afraid then YOU should not play. Stop trying to make all the other thousands of players who collectively play millions of innings a year playing softball play by YOUR rules. It is not without coincidence that somehow all the guys play ball and enjoy and yet very few people get hurt. No one is forcing anyone to play ball with good balls and bats and all of us enjoy it as it is. If someone is afraid then go do something else. People who try to legislate are the ones with limited ability and are attempting to bring the game down to their level and arguing about safety is just a coverup.

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Things I've noticed playing SR ball for 12 yrs or so ;
Good bats (but early on, very fragile), good softballs, very little trash talk (and if there is, it is truly in jest) and many MANY more pitchers and infielders wearing protective gear.
Maybe with age does come wisdom .............................

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll see if any of that changes when the dbs playing now join the senior ranks.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I agree - the complainers are the people WHO ARE NOT EVEN PLAYING BSSUSA SENIOR BALL ... WTF -- stick to your
ASA E league or USSSA E league and find the correct forum to cry about balls to hard or bats that suck.. This is a senior softball thread.
I will say this - since playing 5 years of 50 Major plus - I haven't heard one guy or team complain about the bats and the balls.
And for you guys that do whine about everything --DONT PLAY THEN.

I am actually the one who started the thread and I am playing senior ball. All I said was its insane how fast the ball comes off the bat and questioned if 40 year olds really need lightsabers and rocks. No doubt its fun to see the ball go 375 instead of 325 when I get all of one, its fun to hit a line drive that gets through the infield like a missile but I also question if its worth it for safety. I think most people at 40 don't lose bat speed, most half decent senior players can still hit a ball 300+ feet with lesser bats and balls. Anyone who tells me that people know the speed of the ball and it doesn't increase the number of injuries are either FOS or lying to themselves. I excited to play seniors full time next year should be fun.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
I am actually the one who started the thread and I am playing senior ball. All I said was its insane how fast the ball comes off the bat and questioned if 40 year olds really need lightsabers and rocks. No doubt its fun to see the ball go 375 instead of 325 when I get all of one, its fun to hit a line drive that gets through the infield like a missile but I also question if its worth it for safety. I think most people at 40 don't lose bat speed, most half decent senior players can still hit a ball 300+ feet with lesser bats and balls. Anyone who tells me that people know the speed of the ball and it doesn't increase the number of injuries are either FOS or lying to themselves. I excited to play seniors full time next year should be fun.

While there is a little bit of merit regarding the guys in their 40’s losing their reflexes or perhaps needing senior equipment the facts haven’t changed at all. Somehow, someway thousands of guys play millions of innings per year and statistically there are very few injuries and that’s an undisputed fact.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
We hit the OG snake bat when it came out and I was only in my 40s, I can say yes it did seem a bit over the top. Fun as hell but the difference was pretty crazy. Now when I play down in Florida against 50plus its not nearly as alarming.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
While there is a little bit of merit regarding the guys in their 40’s losing their reflexes or perhaps needing senior equipment the facts haven’t changed at all. Somehow, someway thousands of guys play millions of innings per year and statistically there are very few injuries and that’s an undisputed fact.
Where is this fact stated? I'd like to see the data behind this fact.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
5 or 6 years ago here in Nor Cal, a 60’s M+pitcher took a shot to the mask and it exploded, don’t remember the brand but definitely lawsuit worthy
SMOKE

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Where is this fact stated? I'd like to see the data behind this fact.

You ask where are the facts and your a super moderator? How about just research the millions of posts on here and see how many tragic injuries have occurred. Yes you can find some on here no doubt that I am sure, however compare that to guys playing any other sport in this country and I doubt that it’s materially any different. The specific point is that there are thousands of senior softball players from the 40’s to the 90’s and somehow they play millions of games and people seem to live to play and want more games.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I play senior league and tourney ball and can count on 1 hand how many guys left a game because of being hit by a ball. Two of those were pitchers that were older and slower than everyone else playing and they didn't use the optional net (now required). Almost every injury I've seen in Senior ball is knee or pulled muscle related and not being hit by a batted ball.

longball101

Part Time Player
Interesting thread. I am 51 and have considered playing in a 50+ league. just joined a regular league with my son to see how the skill set has held up after taking about 7 yrs off from the competitive game. I work at a school that borders our local park that hosts a 55+ Sr league. I watch guys that are well over 60 out their playing. I have often wondered about the SR bat as that I consider my swing an above avg swing, swinging against some of the SR's I see playing infield. They are using .44/375 balls, I have a nice collection of them that they hit over and land on the school's property (keeps my BP ball collection fully loaded during season). there are no shortage of guys out there that can easily hit it over the 300 ft fence. What I do like is I see that every pitcher out there uses the pitching screen, not sure if it is mandatory or not. They are all having a blast, playing 2 days a week. From the guys I have had a chance to talk to none of them are complaining about the equipment. So, in my worthless opinion, it seems that it comes down to the ole saying, if you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen! I look forward to retiring in a few years to get out there with them.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You ask where are the facts and your a super moderator? How about just research the millions of posts on here and see how many tragic injuries have occurred. Yes you can find some on here no doubt that I am sure, however compare that to guys playing any other sport in this country and I doubt that it’s materially any different. The specific point is that there are thousands of senior softball players from the 40’s to the 90’s and somehow they play millions of games and people seem to live to play and want more games.
This board represents maybe 1% of the softball population, and you're counting their anecdotal observations as undisputed fact? Two of the three replies after yours state multiple injuries or pitching screens, but I'm sure that's a coincidence right? Just admit that you're biased and stop trying to sound scientific. You're welcome to you're opinion, that doesn't make it a fact.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This board represents maybe 1% of the softball population, and you're counting their anecdotal observations as undisputed fact? Two of the three replies after yours state multiple injuries or pitching screens, but I'm sure that's a coincidence right? Just admit that you're biased and stop trying to sound scientific. You're welcome to you're opinion, that doesn't make it a fact.

This ^^^^^^. If you really think reading SBF gives you data/facts about the overall rate of injury rates its pretty clear you don't know understand what those words mean. I've seen injuries in all forms of softball over the 20+ years I've played the game, I haven't seen any actual data about injury rates at the senor level compared to others of claim that my experiences are proof of anything. What I do know is harder balls hit at a higher rate of speed is likely to increase the rate of injuries and increase the severity of those injuries when they do occur.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans

Biased? It's not biased to say that thousands of senior softball players from the 40's to the 90's play and don't get hurt. I don't need stats to prove that either since apparently participation is very significant and the guys have voted many times on keeping the better equipment as it is. As for this board being 1% lets take that as an example. Since your a super mod and you have access to the software on here why don't you get the data? Assuming that data proves the point that infinitesimal amount of guys get badly hurt, it can be extrapolated to the general public since this board is a representation of the general market of guys playing.

Bottom line is if guys don't want to get hurt, DON'T play. No one makes anyone anyone play the game and if they are scared then go do something else.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
This ^^^^^^. If you really think reading SBF gives you data/facts about the overall rate of injury rates its pretty clear you don't know understand what those words mean. I've seen injuries in all forms of softball over the 20+ years I've played the game, I haven't seen any actual data about injury rates at the senor level compared to others of claim that my experiences are proof of anything. What I do know is harder balls hit at a higher rate of speed is likely to increase the rate of injuries and increase the severity of those injuries when they do occur.

Okay I admit I may not be to the level of a co-ed superstar.....but I've played and won on the some very high levels and have a fairly high level of comprehension and understand statistical data via my background. What seems to be fairly obvious is that the mortality rate of softball players is no different then most other sports in the country according to the Elias spots data. Yes a harder ball will cause a more severe injury but getting hit by a car doing 55 will hurt more then a car traveling 20 mph- should we ban cars from going fast too?

Bottom line- if YOU don't want to play because you feel scared then YOU should not play. These are many recreational activities available to enjoy, the overwhelming majority of softball players don't need a supervisor telling them how to play. It is a voluntary sport....

KAPTHAT

AREA LEGEND
I play senior league and tourney ball and can count on 1 hand how many guys left a game because of being hit by a ball. Two of those were pitchers that were older and slower than everyone else playing and they didn't use the optional net (now required). Almost every injury I've seen in Senior ball is knee or pulled muscle related and not being hit by a batted ball.

This right here,been playing senior for 8 years i never saw a player injured with a batted ball.....mostly hamstrings

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no FACTS to prove it, but I've heard that old men eventually turn into bitchy lil girls. Maybe I was accused of it one time ........:rolleyes:
I heard that they can get bitchy if someone tries to tell them they're not as good as they used to be, but I've never seen it personally.

dunkky

I completely agree with OP. 40 is not that old. 40 year old + somewhat shaved bat + hardball is not cool combination. I would considered 50+, a senior.

another solution would be,
If they want to hit homerun, perhaps, they can make field smaller(250ish) and just use any regular composite bat???

that will minimize exit speed(better safety) + satisfy seniors who want to hit bomb?

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
Not being a smart a** ( maybe I am ) but explain to me how are they going to move the fences in for seniors and then move them back for the younger age groups.

Ron T

W.O.M.D.
Here in the Islands, Senior league 60 and over, is played using debeer pn14s, 14" softballs, with any senior stamped bat, including those og ultras. Fences in annual senior state tournament is set at 250'. On Oahu, Upper Divisions play on 300' fields.
(Majority of upper divisions) would rather play 300' fields with 12" 44cor/375 comp balls but as of now if you want to play senior softball you play with 14" balls.(60 and over)
All you seniors that play leagues using 12"/375 balls are truly blessed. sigh!
So all you players that complain about senior bats/balls being too hot and risk of serious injuries, there it is, PLAN B! It is what it is haha.
All I ask for is a little sympathy