SHAVED or NOT SHAVED

bgw223

Addicted to Softballfans
I know you can go through the knob too.

I realize that but wouldn't you agree it's the best solution untill
a 100% tamper-proof bat..endcap & knob..is made?

Thats why IMHO, a removeable endcap is easier.

Remove the endcap .. look inside the barrel .. see the manufacturing logo on the inside of the barrel still .. screw endcap back on.

WTF! Are you being serious? This is the dumbest ****ing thing I have heard it all now. You can not shave a bat through the knob.

Hanovi

Desperados Softball
Or just teach kids when they are young not to cheat or lie and then when they get older and play softball they won't cheat or lie..... oh to dream really is it that hard to just play the game fair not everyone has to try to be homerun kings but on another note I know that every game I play they will probably be a shaved bat do I whine and cry no just play the game and be contenet in knowing I am not one of them types of people I sleep good at night whether we win or lose cause I did it fair and square

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Or just teach kids when they are young not to cheat or lie and then when they get older and play softball they won't cheat or lie..... oh to dream really is it that hard to just play the game fair not everyone has to try to be homerun kings but on another note I know that every game I play they will probably be a shaved bat do I whine and cry no just play the game and be contenet in knowing I am not one of them types of people I sleep good at night whether we win or lose cause I did it fair and square

They are called periods. Use them.

Shaved bats are part of the game now, people need to quit bitching and deal with it. People were cheating in softball before composite bats came along. As long as there is competition, someone will look to find a way to gain an advantage over their competition, legal or not

bgw223

Addicted to Softballfans
They are called periods. Use them.

Shaved bats are part of the game now, people need to quit bitching and deal with it. People were cheating in softball before composite bats came along. As long as there is competition, someone will look to find a way to gain an advantage over their competition, legal or not

This is the truth. It is like that in any sport. People will always look for ways to gain an advantage.

Joker

Correct .. as long as the grip does not exceed the set thickness (2 layers) and is at least 10" from knob to end and no more than 15" from knob to end, it is legal (ASA rules).

i think they got rid of the 2 layers and i know they went to 6" minimum now

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
This grip thing is for real? I tape over my knob and make a gigantic hunter pence type handle. Played baseball my whole life and like the enormous handle (insert that's what she said jokes here)

bgw223

Addicted to Softballfans
wtf,,,,,you're saying you can shave a bat through the knob?

Thats what he is saying. But I guess he is referring to himself when he says he can't fix stupid. There is no way to shave a bat through the knob. Unless he is talking about shaving the handle for more whip. This has been done but there is a fine line between more whip and a broken bat next time you hit with it.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Did not read any of this thread except for OP post, so sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said (I'm not sorry, just trying to be cordial here ya jerks)

The weight sticker is merely a suggestion of what the bat is supposed to weigh and is often not the actual weight. So the sticker is irrelevant. Thank you, no really, applause isn't necessary. I'll be at the bar. Drinks are on Sea-bass.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
Thats what he is saying. But I guess he is referring to himself when he says he can't fix stupid. There is no way to shave a bat through the knob. Unless he is talking about shaving the handle for more whip. This has been done but there is a fine line between more whip and a broken bat next time you hit with it.

Idk but I know a guy that would have the answer :cool:,,,,I just want someone on here to explain this impractical and unnecessary procedure to me.

Worth has that crap sticker that will pull off if you put tape over it. Has happened to me several times. Also the weight is not stamped on the barrel anywhere so there's no tellin what the true weight could be. I could shave a 28oz booger and put a 27sticker on it. Just hit it next to one of your broken in bats and see how it performs.

About the weight on the sticker which is not there, you said what I was saying, how to really know if you dont have a sticker?

lmob29

swingn' hard just incase
It is not shaving the handle..... the barrel can get shaved through the handle. A bat rep up here informed on the process. I had never heard of It before then. Guys will try anything i guess. I am not going to explain how its done....

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
It is not shaving the handle..... the barrel can get shaved through the handle. A bat rep up here informed on the process. I had never heard of It before then. Guys will try anything i guess. I am not going to explain how its done....

Just explain,,,this is what I'm looking for. I want to know how a cutting tool of any sort (grinding, sanding, etc etc) goes into a 3/8" hole and has enough force to bore a much larger barrel. It's impractical, and pointless Bc you could just take the cap off and do it. This is why I don't believe this can be done,,,efficiently

B-Rowdy16

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone who needs to shave a Booger is a B-Atch! But to add my 2 cents... no sticker means nothin son!

batboyssports

Part Time Player
I heard from a guy at a local sporting goods store that a guy would remove the weight in the knob and dump paint thinner or something down the inside of the bat to remove some of the wall on the bat,that might be what some would consider shaving a bat through the handle.Not sure how true it is but it was supposedly a major player that did it.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
This all is such an easy fix ... some will never understand.

Make the manufactuers label the inside of the bats with their logo .. and then make a bat with a removeable endcap. We then educate all players on the removeable endcap and how to look into the barrel looking for a manufacturers logo. Logo gone = shaved ...

Not rocket science for sure. And if a bat is called out, remove the endcap.

This right here! It would also help so you could dump the loose composite and glue that rattles so you could use the bat in places that tosses bats for rattle.

That is a good idea. Except for the fact that, do you know how long it would take to get through a game? Some people yell shaved every time someone hits a ball hard. There would be more endcap removals than ball playing for sure.

You could do a clear endcap that you could see through. You could also have to remove the endcap for the umpire to inspect and put them in a trash can inside the field at the backstop. If the bat goes in the dugout then it can't be used for the rest of the game.

It was an audition for an addition.

Easy solution:

Before game starts all bats to be used for the game are lined up against the fence. Umpire checks all of them, and tosses any that should be (some good umps already do this...now you just add removing the endcap). Bats do not need to stay on the fence all game, but none can be added during the game. If a player shows up late, he has to use someone else's bat.

Like I said earlier. It would be nothing to put them in a trash can and put them at the backstop inside the field near the backstop. Bat gets put in the trash can unless the next batter is going to swing it. No bat can enter after the game starts and if a bat goes in the dugout then it is tossed fromt he game.

That would work most of the time. But some people will still find a way to cheat. They can have two of the same bat have one checked then slip the altered one out. No one would know. Unless you wouldn't even be allowed to take a bat bag into the dugouts anymore.

See above. You could have your batbag. Trashcan back towards the umpire. Score keepers, your team, the other team, umpires, spectators would see somoene bringing a bat out of the dugout.

The endcap came off of my bat last night and the inside of the bat was hollow! Is my bat shaved?

I would pour cement in it and fill it up quick

Humor here is pretty bad .. IJS

I thought it was funny![color]

Would have to go with the trash can method near the batters box. You can only use bats that are in the can and anything that goes into or out of the dugout is thrown out of play

BINGO

Yeah, wraparound cap, trust me, easy change in engineering. But, like I have said before, bat OEM's love shaving, its great for profitability.

NSa were running test on that. Poblem came because the endcaps kept flying out. At least that is what I read. I still like the removable endcap idea.

I made my gf take a shot of vodka everytime someone said "technically" in this thread.

I think she might be dead.

Give her what gets her naked the fastest and send me pics

I heard from a guy at a local sporting goods store that a guy would remove the weight in the knob and dump paint thinner or something down the inside of the bat to remove some of the wall on the bat,that might be what some would consider shaving a bat through the handle.Not sure how true it is but it was supposedly a major player that did it.

There is no paint on the inside of the barrel. Even if paint thinner would eat away at the composite fiber, if you let it sit it would just eat where the paint thinner was built up the most and be very uneven. Worst case it may eat at the rosin that is holding the fibers together and cause a premature breakage, but IT WILL NOT result in a bat being shaved.

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep

Now that is one of the dumbest ideas I have seen so far. :eek:

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
I get curious and ask for legitimate answers on here and then I realize I'm talking to softball players.