Should it be a forfeit?

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league tournament started last night. After a 14 game season, we wrap up with a double elim tourney which seems to get a little serious. During the regular season, our league put a "must have played in 4 games" to be eligible for the tourney to prevent a team from loading up with ringers. The other rule (and subject of this post) is the rules specifically say, if a team borrows a player in the tournament, they must pitch or catch.

Last night in the game before ours, Team A (the higher seed) had a full roster of ten, while Team B only had eight players, one of whom was a borrowed player. The borrowed player played shortstop, hit a couple of home runs and led the team to a 15-10 upset of Team A. Team A complained to the LD, and a decision has yet to be made.

My question is should the game be a forfeit in favor of Team A? Team B hasn't exactly followed the rules all season long either.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
no. the issue should have been brought up during the game and a formal protest made. if you play the game from start to finish and don't say a word, knowing or not, that's on you.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Good lord, can't score more than 10 runs when the other team only has 8 guys on the field?

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Doesn't seem like there's much to complain about here, looks like SOP for your league. 4 games for playoffs....joke. "borrowed player"....joke. Your LD has rules that promote stacking a roster with illegal players come playoff time, seems like this type of situation is exactly the type of thing he likes.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
no. the issue should have been brought up during the game and a formal protest made. if you play the game from start to finish and don't say a word, knowing or not, that's on you.

I agree. By not filing a protest at the time, they in a way approved of it.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Good lord, can't score more than 10 runs when the other team only has 8 guys on the field?

This here...! You lose 15/10 to an 8 player team, and then try to protest at the end of the game, probably should just stfu and put your head down and walk away....

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
This here...! You lose 15/10 to an 8 player team, and then try to protest at the end of the game, probably should just stfu and put your head down and walk away....

Yep. Maybe hit some BP and take a couple grounders and come back next year.

GBarajas

Softball Sucks!
The way I see it, they didnt protest cause they thought they would win against 8 guys. That backfired so the next best thing was to protest.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
whatever the league rules say...

what league makes a rule without a consequence attached to it? that's like saying it's illegal to swing altered bats, and then leaving the punishment up to the discretion of the ump/LD. it makes no sense.

Fulcan

Starting Player
If you knew that the other team was breaking a rule you should have called attention to it immediately and not played the game. What it sounds like is that you saw an easy win against another team and decided to stretch your egos a little. When you got beat, only then did you care about the rules. Tough ****, man.

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
The only reason I pay my fees and play every week is to win a t-shirt. If the other team has to borrow a player for playoffs, I'm calling them on that ****. I'd rather win by forfeit without playing the game and guarantee my t-shirt than play and potentially lose. You ****ed up when you played the game. Now you know better for next time.

bigbdgaf

Addicted to Softballfans
You deserve to lose if the team only had 8 players.. You made it seem like the one guy that should have not played short stop scored all the runs.. Lame excuse is what is sound like to me.. And is sounds like you played on "team b".. Lol

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
I been on both sides of things, I've been thumped by a team with eight guys and I've also played on a team with 8 and we run ruled the full squad. If we lose, we lose, if we win, we win. Like I said, it was the game before ours, I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the rule interpretation.

Our league tournament started last night. After a 14 game season, we wrap up with a double elim tourney which seems to get a little serious. During the regular season, our league put a "must have played in 4 games" to be eligible for the tourney to prevent a team from loading up with ringers. The other rule (and subject of this post) is the rules specifically say, if a team borrows a player in the tournament, they must pitch or catch.

Looks like Team A gets a second chance to catch them in the act. The past is history, play on!

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Forfeit - the rules didn't change - you (they) changed them. If it's a beer game - who cares but you played a league season to get to that game - then, you gave it away