Should pitchers or anyone get mad at shots up the middle?

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the one piece of respect you have to give the pitcher is after you blow them up you should at least check to make sure they're okay. I took one off my leg last year...in a freakin' church league, no less...and all the guy had to say was "don't throw it outside."

quick23

I have no problem with someone hitting the middle or hitting me, but if they do it with a painted ultra, thats when i have a problem...Playing black circuit this weekend and they have that doo doo green and black NRG that sounds like a shotgun and is absolutely killing the ball. When the guy hit it at me I never saw it I just felt it hit my finger and the middle man barley had enough time to react

Yeah sounds like one of the bats the local painter does around here. Black and green NRG...

mtinich

The Veteran
The only time I have a problem with it is if you can just tell the other team is only hitting at you (which fortunately never has happened when I've been on the mound). The pitcher is a fielder too and if he can't field his position, of course they are going to take advantage of that. Just as if I'm playing a team with a crappy RF or 2nd basemen or etc. If you need to win and need hits, you hit to their weakest guy... I don't mind hitters hitting middle because making plays as a pitcher look so much better than anywhere else in the field.

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
It's been a long time since I've gotten mad about someone hitting middle. I don't even think about it anymore.

Meskin24

those arent pecks
That only annoys me if I don't get him out. I've also had guys try and hit me and hit multiple DBOs up the middle so I'm usually okay with it.

I'll be so glad when we're all hitting 52s.

^^^^^^^^^^this, I get more upset with myself for not getting set fast enough to try and make a play on it.

blakcherry329

In a tournament setting it is a part of the game. And i would say its good as long as it is a clean bat in mens league. It bothers me when people do it in coed leagues. I play one night a week and its always the dbags that want to hit middle because they either have a girl on the mound or someone who doesnt know what they are doing. Then get overly pissed when you get remotely close to their pitcher. But like i said in mens league and definitely tourneys it is good to go in my book. And i pitch almost every game i play in and i do it and don't care when i get hit at. I do talk a lot of **** though when i snap someone off and after they say sorry. Don't apologize for going middle, that just makes it worse. Either run it out and take the hit or get out.

So, basically, you are bringing it on yourself:rolleyes:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Should pitchers get upset no, pitchers have gloves and if they pitch should ready at all times to use them. That said there are lots of people who get stupid about middle, any time someone goes anywhere near their pitcher they take it as a declaration of war. Weekends middle is always open especially if the other team is playing straight up, the middle is the easiest place to go for a hit and if you pitch in tournies you should be able to protect yourself. When it comes to league I just try to stay away from middle. There are to many guys who can't protect themselves, I'm afraid of hurting someone. Also some of the bad league teams I play on our pitchers don't field middle well and I don't want to be the reason that someone hits our pitcher. If I'm pitching and I know the other guy can protect himself I am less worried about it. Still for league better off just working on something else.

blakcherry329

The only time I have a problem with it is if you can just tell the other team is only hitting at you (which fortunately never has happened when I've been on the mound). The pitcher is a fielder too and if he can't field his position, of course they are going to take advantage of that. Just as if I'm playing a team with a crappy RF or 2nd basemen or etc. If you need to win and need hits, you hit to their weakest guy... I don't mind hitters hitting middle because making plays as a pitcher look so much better than anywhere else in the field.

Well, it's not quite that simple. The pitcher is only 50+ feet away from the batter. So the hitter has a big advantage hitting middle whether the pitcher is a great fielder or not.

I don't have a problem, even if they are aiming for me. It doesn't happen often cuz I'm not a small guy. I have a lacrosse helmet, shin guards, and I'm above avg fielding. I'm gtg.
As Bernie Mac said...I ain't scared of you mutha****as;)

blakcherry329

Should pitchers get upset no, pitchers have gloves and if they pitch should ready at all times to use them. That said there are lots of people who get stupid about middle, any time someone goes anywhere near their pitcher they take it as a declaration of war. Weekends middle is always open especially if the other team is playing straight up, the middle is the easiest place to go for a hit and if you pitch in tournies you should be able to protect yourself. When it comes to league I just try to stay away from middle. There are to many guys who can't protect themselves, I'm afraid of hurting someone. Also some of the bad league teams I play on our pitchers don't field middle well and I don't want to be the reason that someone hits our pitcher. If I'm pitching and I know the other guy can protect himself I am less worried about it. Still for league better off just working on something else.
Definitely happens in league play, a lot.

I don't go middle out of "professional courtesy":D I let the other pitcher strike the first blow, then middles open. Not to try to hit him, of course.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Should pitchers get upset no, pitchers have gloves and if they pitch should ready at all times to use them. That said there are lots of people who get stupid about middle, any time someone goes anywhere near their pitcher they take it as a declaration of war.

^^^This is what annoys me the most. Have had pitchers in rec league (where most hitters can't intentionally go middle) get all upset over a dribbler 3 feet to his left or right or a 1 hopper back at him the he can make an easy play on. Even had one catcher on one team we played keep yelling "middle's open!" after we hit a couple balls "up the middle" but were actually a good 5 feet over the pitchers head and more towards the second baseman if anything. He then tried to blow our pitcher up when he was hitting but kept hitting slow dribblers to 2nd base....

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^This is what annoys me the most. Have had pitchers in rec league (where most hitters can't intentionally go middle) get all upset over a dribbler 3 feet to his left or right or a 1 hopper back at him the he can make an easy play on. Even had one catcher on one team we played keep yelling "middle's open!" after we hit a couple balls "up the middle" but were actually a good 5 feet over the pitchers head and more towards the second baseman if anything. He then tried to blow our pitcher up when he was hitting but kept hitting slow dribblers to 2nd base....

That is annoying. I also don't like how sometimes the teammates get involved or start talking when the pitcher isn't even mad. Last year I watched a pitch and it was called a strike. Well at 1-2 and no courtesy the pitcher threw one that was outside. The ump had a pretty relaxed stike zone so I swung and accidentally put it up the middle and it went off the side of the pitcher's foot. I apologized and the pitcher accepted and after walking it off everything should have been fine. Well the 2nd baseman starting talking **** right away and kept chirping through out the game while trying to go up the middle each at bat. Apparently he was mad because I jogged to first instead of taking an out. Their pitcher even told him that it wasn't a big deal and to shut up but he wouldn't quit. Eventually the guy got himself booted and suspended. If the pitcher isn't mad or doesn't care then the rest of the team shouldn't be talking or intentionally going up the middle.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Definitely happens in league play, a lot.

I don't go middle out of "professional courtesy":D I let the other pitcher strike the first blow, then middles open. Not to try to hit him, of course.

I've converted from an infielder to a pitcher in the last year. I actually am more likely to hit middle if I'm pitching. If someone trys to hit me because a ball went 5 feet to the right of their pitcher that's fine. I wear a mask and a cup and I do a decent job of getting back a couple of steps and getting set. Its only a matter of time til I get hit but it hasn't happened so far. What I don't want to happen is for one of the old guys who pitches for us to get hurt because I hit to close to someone's pitcher and someone on the other team got butthurt.

This is the stuff that really makes me shake my head. Some dude hits a ball that the SS tries to make a play on and someone on the other team is screaming that middle is open STFU and play the game. Nothing like someone getting pissy about a 7 hopper at the pitcher, STFU and play the game.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch...I actually pitch the ball in spots where I want you to hit it at me. Anything hit above the knees at me generally results in an out. If you don't want to be hit at then don't pitch. Simple as that.

One thing I do have a problem is guys who say "he had a mask on he will be ok." It's a Shame that it had came down to having to wear a mask bc of all the hot equipment out there. Fact is you just never know who is cheating or never know when you won't see the ball back at you or that one bad hop. I also dislike when someone using an cut/painted bat blows box too. You are talking life and death in some instances. LIFE AND DEATH!!! I don't mind getting hit at but give the game and the pitcher some courtesy and don't when you are swinging cut/painted stuff

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't see what kind of bat makes it okay to swing away at the pitcher. No up the middle if you're swinging cheater bats? Good hitters will still take your head off with an old CU31. If it's standard play in your league then it is what it is but in the leagues I play you're looking to get your ask kicked, especially if you purposely tried to blow the pitcher up. If a batter is so good that he can consistently hit up the middle then he should easily be able to hit the gaps and bullets over the infield.

Beast28

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't talk about it. Be about it. People will do whatever you let them get away with doing. I live by the rule: Do Not Demand What You Cannot Take By Force. If you are not going to stop them, keep quiet.

JBD

Star Player
I've been pitching for years and had never gotten mad, even when I'd actually been hit. That changed last year when we were pulling ahead, bit by bit, and producing a good sized lead against a team that was used to blowing everybody away. In the bottom of the 7th, they had to make a move so, I guess they decided to go with the "Shoot Middle" strategy to stir things up. They succeeded. First batter hit right over my head. I knocked it down and my 2nd baseman picked it up and through him out. 2nd batter drove it straight back at my chest and I got my glove up fast enough to ricochet it into my neck. My neck muscles cramped and I hit my knees just in case I was about to zonk out. That only lasted about 10 seconds, thankfully, and I stood up to find out that the ball rolled straight to my 1st baseman and we got the batter out. The 3rd batter hit it straight at my feet and I bobbled it before picking it up and throwing it straight into his back. If I hit him on purpose, I swear it was a subconscious reaction. The 4th batter went at my feet again and it hit my calf. My SS fielded it and made a gorgeous double play just to make a point, I guess. I'll admit I was pretty mad but I'm the coach and I insist upon good attitudes and good sportsmanship so I told my guys to forget about it and go shake hands. I'm proud to say that they did just that. However, our opponents just wouldn't shut up about my 40 mph fast ball into their guy's back. I guess 140 mph into my head would have been ok though. We all survived the night. However, I now wear a full pitching helmet, chest guard and shin guards along with the cup I've always worn. My eyes were opened to the fact that I'm not as quick as I used to be. I still giggle and tell batters it's fine when they apologize for shootin' middle. If it's on accident, it IS fine. If it's on purpose, it just frustrates them and I win the battle.

MiamiE

MIDDLE'S OPEN!
I started pitching for a Rec league team down here. I also like to hit up the middle. I haven't stopped because I'm pitching though. Just pitch and start the trot back to give you more room to field the ball. Unfortunately this team doesn't afford me the "protection" pitching for a more skilled team would, but it is what it is. You hit at me I'm going to hit back at you.

stix21

Farmer (I plant seeds)
Hitting middle is part of the game. Personally I try not to unless I have to "protect" my pitcher. I don't get bent out of shape about it tho... unless we're getting drug. If ur up by 10+ runs and still going box - that would irritate me. Hitting at a guy 40 ft away from u isn't hard to do.

Hack5102

The Veteran
I get tired of all these guys complaining about shooting the middle...that's why you have a glove!!! Not to mention its a 1/3 of the field

davkat

The Veteran
I have been a Pitcher for over 10 years and have taken my share of shots up the middle that is why i wear shin pads under my long pants Padded Knee braces and most Important My Mask and if a player hits one up the middle NO WAY will i be mad at him he is doing his job The object is to get a hit I hit the middle I will only say sorry if i hurt a pitcher but I will not feel sorry because I'm doing my job when players hit the ball at me and say I'm sorry i say to them you don't have to be sorry that was a GREAT hit!!! I'm not mad at ya :eek:}

J-Bonez

Starting Player
I'm far too intelligent to pitch. It's just insane to be that close to canon balls as they're blasted back at you!

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
Only time I ever get annoyed is the D-bag who is sitting in the back corner of the box, when the pitch is coming in does the "three steps foward-tomahawk chop"... it's usually cause they are mad cause I'm "pitching too high" in a 16" arc rec league, and can't blast homers like they do on saturday tournaments with 12" max arc.

bigballs21

Banned User
Team we played last night went middle on our pitcher, I come up hit one off the fence then walked on purpose the next at bat, third at bat I shoot box for being walked in league.

spos21ram

The Legend
If you purposely hit up the middle for base hits, which is perfectly ok in my book, why would you apologize if you hit the pitcher? You’re purposely hitting in his direction, you know you’re gonna hit him sometimes, so why act all sincere when you do hit him?

H8ted_Curve

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a pitcher... P is a position on the field, we have to be able to field the ball no matter what. I wear shin guards and now a pitching mask. It sucks getting hit, but you live with it if thats the position you want to play. I know if I'm getting rockets hit at me, my team has my back will return the favor till it stops. If I hit middle, I should expect the P to hit middle as well. BUT I agree, don't apologize if you meant to hit middle, if it was an accident no problem.

UpNorthSoftball

I've pitched for a number of years. The only time it upsets me is when I'm the target. To me there is a difference between hitting up the middle and hitting at the pitcher. I like hitting up the middle. Sure I've hit my share of pitchers, but if I can remember hitting you, I don't hit up the middle any you.

If you hit me once, its the game. Hit me twice, I'll give yo the odds. But the third time, I'm going up the middle.

Its the game. Its the risk.