Shoulder Injury

Fadizzle

Addicted to Softballfans
So over past couple years my right throwing shoulder has killed me!

I been to doctor and all they keep giving me was meds finally I just got insurance went to a well known orthopedic surgeon and did x rays no bones fracture or anything, today I had an arthogram and MRI done.

I was told by my OS that it may be a torn labrum and I'm not gonna be happy to see the results if that's what it ends up being.. But it is what it is.. Anyone else been through this? My job consist of lifting so ill be out of work for a while and we don't start ball for a cpl months here in michigan, recovery time, anything u would recommended before surgery (if needed) just want other people's thoughts on it.

My follow up is Tuesday so I will give an update on what the results of the arthogram and MRI are.

SYNERGY2

Manager
My brother in law had it doen and was laid up for few months. He was definitely in some pain post op but ultimately recovered pretty quickly versus the initial thought.

I think the key is to keep immobile for some time after the surgery. He had his in a sling for probably close to a month. He actually listened to the doc and didn't rush back to the weightroom either. Just did the rehab they assigned and it worked good.

The good news is that I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to be ready for summer ball. You probably won't be 100% but at least you could probably still play.

Good luck.

Fadizzle

Addicted to Softballfans
I appreciate it man thanks! I sure hope for a quick recovery, I'm hoping to be able to play in the swinging bunt in IL here in april. I dont know how soon they get you in for surgery if needed so.

fishinpox

Addicted to Softballfans
I had shoulder surgery back in 04 I think. Had a SLAP tear w/ a biceps tendon tear. I was back on the field 6 months after surgery, but followed PT to the letter. Probably the first injury where I listened to my doc.

swovvster

Steeler Country
Fadizzle,

I had significant labrum tear in left (non dominant) shoulder. I had the surgery Sept 6th and was in rehab just over two weeks removed from surgery for six weeks. It's one of those injuries where rest is best! I was cautioned not to try and do too much too soon...best advice I could get. I don't like sitting around and if I can get something done, I'm going to get on it...not so with this recovery. My doc and physical therapist said that following recovery protocol to the tee was critical. They were right. Take it day to day and do not rush anything. I was back to work three months after surgery date but I don't have to lift heavy like you. On my four month checkup, doc said to slowly introduce heavier weights over time. He also indicated that the shoulder will be back to "normal" in another four to five months because of the trauma to the shoulder area. I am almost five months post op and it feels great and getting stronger. I have been slowly introducing heavier weights each week with no restrictions or adverse results...I don't have any thoughts or hesitation if I have to use my arm / shoulder at work (fighting with criminals)...it has been feeling strong and all of my mobility and flexibility is back. It's one of those individual results...everyone reacts differently to surgery. Best advice....follow recovery exactly as they say. Had to sleep with brace on and in recliner for a month....minor inconvenience but they suggest it....any other ????, give me a shout

As far as pre-surgery....nothing, rest! I had my done by Dr. Sean Bak in Novi Orthopedic. Very pleased with everything. I am 45 and in decent shape before surgery so I didn't think it was bad at all....minimal pain during recovery as well.

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
bro......I feel your pain literally. MRI revealed slap tear and partial rotator cuff tear. I drive a recycle truck,and lift bins up to my shoulders about 500x a day. I'm on light duty till March while I do p.t. to try to strengthen shoulder muscles. but... I know as soon as I go back to heavy lifting my shoulder is gonna fire up!! My gym workout has been relegated to very LIGHT when doing any chest or shoulder stuff. I literally can't do any chest fly without severe pain.. I also know that my left shoulder is pretty impinged at the very least.