Since we don't have a ball forum for some reason...

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
...unless we do have a ball forum I missed. Then I'll need a link.

I'd rather not bring blind brand bias into it, but if it happens it happens. Most of the brands are making at least decent balls.

I'd mainly like to know the amazing new thing. And mainly what to stay away from.

I know the new Worth Classic M Extremes are the current hot topic (that isn't a one piece). But the synthetic Gold Dot Classics they had out a couple years ago were awful. Awful. Some of the fields I bp'd on had coed leagues that used them and they were left everywhere. In the dugouts even.

Actually I don't think Worth ever made a decent yellow ball except for the Blue Dots until the second generation of Hot Dots.

GrinningBear

And seriously why do we not have a ball forum? The ball affects the game as much or moreso than the bats. Definitely more than gloves. Perusing the association and other company forums isn't necessary. Someone can make an association ball specific thread in a ball specific forum.

Always a reason given against. None of them good enough.

GrinningBear

Let's do a bag forum and a batting gloves forum and a cleat/turf forum while we're at it.

See. These would be bad reasons against. Although these aren't actually reasons. When bags and batting gloves affect the game as much as the ball, someone should be championing their cause. But someone dropping money on a bag--though it's a huge investment some of us have to save up for--is a lot different than dropping money on dozens of balls for a league or tourney that doesn't provide balls. Or something that won't destroy your shiny new bat. Or something that will be more lively for a charity home run derby.

Although, a legitimate 'other equipment' forum would be much better than digging through some of the pointless ones we have now.

RustyShakleford

It's pretty easy to find that info with a search.

Let's make a bat comparison forum too. I want to know which is better; a 2016 OG Juggy or an OG Faulk Mayhem? Only serious responses please.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
And a Rocky Mtn Regional sub. Not that it would get used much either, but damn.

GrinningBear

If an LD or team manager is looking for a ball for a specific purpose they can either use the flawed search or ask on the OSPB or association forum and be told to use the flawed search.

No a SBF search doesn't always yield results. People call the new Tattoo single piece ball the NX3, the single layer Tattoo, the one piece Tattoo, the one layer, etc. Etc...

No a SBF search doesnt always yield results. Even bat comparisons. A 2016 OG Juggy will never be searched by model #? By just OG Juggy? When someone searches OG Juggy are they going to to know 1st, 2nd, 3rd batch descriptors are not what they're looking for? Wait maybe the new ones have batches. Which would still support the inefficiency of the search. I wouldn't know until I opened the thread it's not what I wanted if I'm looking for original Juggernaut and it says 2nd batch OG Juggy if the current Juggy's labeled OG Juggy have batches? That's a waste of my precious busy man time.

Comparisons are easy. I own a bat. Hey guys in the forum of bats I'm interested in, how does your bat compare to my bat? Searching that is pointless and anyone suggesting it asinine. I don't care about the myriad other things about that bat. Half a million are irrelevant to my question. How does your bat compare to this one I already like? Then you can really get crazy and ask if there may be another bat they like that you may like too. Some people go absolutely ape**** and OFFER someone asking the question an alternative bat they didn't ask about but would be a good option. WTF?!?

No a SBF search doesn't always yield results. Every forum on every topic has its own verbiage and slang that generally guarantees you're not getting every answer. OG? Straight fire? Pissels? DBO? Classic M? EL? And then there's regional things. BLD? A caca hit is pretty self explanatory but there is also a very specific technique and placement.

Non-technical abbreviations of technical terms make most forum searches obsolete. Head-fi has terms like bloated, lush, consumer signature, on and on. Those are kinda' self explanatory but they're also representative of specific readings.

Bladeforums, edcforums,blah blah blah.

Every single time this is brought up a vocal minority starts with the whydontwejustwhydontwejust then yesbutyesbutyesbut then back to the whydontwejust. Every single time they fail to make any points that are actually reasons against a ball forum. Yes, the point trying to be made is balls are only as important as _pick a whydontwejust_ so they don't deserve their own forum.

But the delivery is flawed, the estimation of how important softballs are to softball is wrong, and the comparisons irrelevant.

Every time.

GrinningBear

We're not on a UFC forum. The word softball is in the title of this forum.

HOWEVER while we're talking about topics, why do we not have a writing utensil forum? Lineups, marking softballs, gloves (although finding an A2000 for 30 bux at PIA with someone's name scrawled across it is infuriating). What about self defense? Is a G2 as good as one of the bazillion dollar ZT's?

Now. That topic needs to happen now.

GrinningBear

That was way too long of a post for this topic. There is not enough discussion about balls to warrant it's own forum.

See! Right to the topic. Wrong, but still more effective. You've never been the manager who bought $300 of softballs that were the victims of a rule change 3 minutes before the league starts. A forum could have helped.

RustyShakleford

If there was a rule change I would think that looking at the associations website would have helped. Or if it was a local league rules, asking the LD before buying $300 worth of balls. I don't see how a forum would have helped 3 minutes before a league starts. Going to the source is a lot better than a ball forum on here. Then again I have common sense. This feels like you don't know how to use the internet and want everything spoon fed to you.

GrinningBear

Three minutes was a purposeful exaggeration. Also you're bad at assumptions. Using the internet to acquire knowledge is its original intent. Not spoon feeding. You disagreeing is hardly common sense

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember the good ol days when you could discuss softball question on here without too many DBag's trying to be cool and voice their worthless idiotic opinions. Ball forum is a good idea. There is still a Reebok forum for goodness sake.

hedge

life takes guts
I remember the good ol days when you could discuss softball question on here without too many DBag's trying to be cool and voice their worthless idiotic opinions. Ball forum is a good idea. There is still a Reebok forum for goodness sake.

Go talk softballs in there

blakcherry329

How about just have an "Other equipment" forum that would encompass bags, balls, turfs, etc.?

Having said that...Why do people complain about balls(no pun intended)? Both teams use the same balls, so who cares? Players that are whining cuz they aren't hitting .47 balls anymore, aren't Pitchers.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
There are a total of 3 new topics a day posted on the main board. A ball forum would look like a ghost town.