Since we don't have a ball forum for some reason...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could easily be a subforum of this one like the media one. Or just discuss them here to get some action going here.

I'd be more for eliminating some of our less used forums than adding new ones though.

RustyShakleford

List to remove:

Fastpitch Tournaments
All association forums, all they have are questions about bats and balls that belong in the OSPB. Maybe keep the smaller associations like ISA, GSL, and ISPS so that guy doesn't go back to spamming the board with his lame toruneys
Anderson (marketplace and manufacturers)
Ebay auctions
Custom gloves (marketplace)
Combat (manufacturers)
Nokona (manufacturers)
Rawlings (manufacturers) anything here can be rolled into the glove discussion forum
Boombah needs to move from Uniforms to Other Manufacturers for good, not just a link
Polls

I don't think a ball forum is really off-base here. There's 3 pieces of equipment that aren't optional in softball. Bats, balls, and gloves. I'm not an LD nor do I do tournaments so I never have to worry about softballs; but I guarantee there's people out there who do have to worry. Balls, much like bats, have become an unfortunate science of the game. Companies produce so many different kinds of them now that it leads to a non-linear search for the right one. A ball is no longer a ball. A ball is a .44/375 Dudley, or a .52/275 hot dot, ect. And with the cost of supplying upwards of 12 balls a nite on league nites, I'd opt to find the best quality/value/fit for my league fields ball.

jhitman

We are using the Evil 52 cor 300 comp softballs and there have been a lot of complaints in the 50+ leagues about the ball not being lively. I just purchased a dozen AD Starr NXT 52's and have been hitting them for several days now. The distance seems to be more with the AD Starr's, also less bad bounces. I did notice that the ball keeps it's line of flight in the air as opposed to the Evils that seem to curve more making it more difficult on line drives to the outfield. Trying to get my LD to consider purchasing these softballs for league play for 2017. Thanks Kevin for taking the time and putting out such a good softball.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Too many subforums and "use the search function noob" have really reduced activity here. Just my opinion.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
How about just have an "Other equipment" forum that would encompass bags, balls, turfs, etc.?

Having said that...Why do people complain about balls(no pun intended)? Both teams use the same balls, so who cares? Players that are whining cuz they aren't hitting .47 balls anymore, aren't Pitchers.

I have started pitching. I wear a mask. I don't like being hit at. I miss the .47's. I'm sorry but .47's and metal is probably no hotter than what we hit today, and it's a lot harder to hit the ball perfectly,

blakcherry329

But .47s are heavier balls so the trampoline effect is more pronounced with those balls. The 52/300s don't have the same exit speed as the .47 balls because of that.
Having said that, I don't really have an issue with any ball in an all metal league.

blakcherry329

.47s were just an example. Every ball we used to hit were much heavier than the balls we use today. Just trying to make a point

tattooball

QUOTE="blakcherry329, post: 18760842, member: 33883"].47s were just an example. Every ball we used to hit were much heavier than the balls we use today. Just trying to make a point[/QUOTE]

?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say much heavier, but i don't know the exact specs. I still have a fee in my bp bag.

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
Both teams use the same balls, so who cares? Players that are whining cuz they aren't hitting .47 balls anymore, aren't Pitchers.
Lots of leagues and some tournaments hit the ball you brought. So the ball makes a difference. and if your league is using socks for balls its nice to know what to try to talk them into using next year. As a pitcher I don't necessarily want to go back to 47/525 balls unless its no limit homers. Don't like people hitting middle on purpose. On the other hand 52 cor balls take some really weard bounce; more often than the 44 cor or 47 cor balls did.

blakcherry329

I wouldn't say much heavier, but i don't know the exact specs. I still have a fee in my bp bag.
Not much heavier, but it is heavier. As a pitcher, I can definitely tell the difference when I throw the different balls. When it comes off the bat, there's a major difference in sound and speed.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think your old balls might have become waterlogged. Mine aren't noticeably heavier at all, and I've been pitching for 10 years now. Obviously there's a major difference in sound and speed. What balls are you using now?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clinchers probably are. I think one of the ball makers here said 52s are slightly lighter, but we play GSL and WSL here too so 44/400s and Classic Ms are about the same. If you play/pitch/hit all of those regularly they don't really feel much heavier. If I have an older ball that feels alot heavier I just assume it's gotten waterlogged along the way and throw it out.

blakcherry329

I'm not including Clinchers or bp balls. I'm talking about new balls. i can usually tell, that's all. It feels different to me. Not a great deal of course, but enough where I can tell. It hasn't happened recently, but it happened in the past. I can tell when I pitch it, not just by looking at it. And there's no doubt when it's hit. Definite difference.
You're making too much of the word "heavier". It's not like 7oz vs. 10oz or something like that. It's just a little heavier.(enough to feel different when pitched/hit) that's it.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
i think all the new balls are little lighter than the old ones. The NX3's, old Decker .44/500's, and old U-trip distance balls feel heavier than any +'s, M's, or other .44's.

It was probably 2010 or so that we quit hitting U-trip Distance balls(.47/500). I like the feedback and decreased temp sensitivity. I like single-walls because I like the feedback at contact. I think the .47/500's flew a tad farther than .44 hot Max's and .44/525's, were easier on bats, and stayed good in 110 degrees while not getting crazy at 50 degrees. M's under 60 hit very well but are very hard on bats, while at 110 you might as hit a sock. The .52's are a decent compromise for hot weather play, but I sure do hate the feel. I wonder what a .52/325 or .52/350 would be like.

RustyShakleford

I'm not including Clinchers or bp balls. I'm talking about new balls. i can usually tell, that's all. It feels different to me. Not a great deal of course, but enough where I can tell. It hasn't happened recently, but it happened in the past. I can tell when I pitch it, not just by looking at it. And there's no doubt when it's hit. Definite difference.
You're making too much of the word "heavier". It's not like 7oz vs. 10oz or something like that. It's just a little heavier.(enough to feel different when pitched/hit) that's it.

Why not just weight them and find out for sure? This is not a matter of "feel", it's something that can actually be measured and quantified.

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
The .52's are a decent compromise for hot weather play, but I sure do hate the feel. I wonder what a .52/325 or .52/350 would be like.

I was thinking along the same lines. The Ultimate Evil is 53/600 and not too crazy on bats, so a 52/450 should be a really fun ball to hit. Same comp as a stadium but easier on bats.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assumed you meant bp since i didn't know people could still buy new 47/525s.

blakcherry329

I assumed you meant bp since i didn't know people could still buy new 47/525s.

That was just an example. I haven't hit those in a long while, either.
This applies to, almost, any ball other than the 52s. They just feel different.
Now let's move on, shall we? :D