Single Wall Aluminum

YankeesBC9

Manager
Playing in a league that only allows Single Wall Aluminum ASA bats. What are the best bats available? Should I look into purchasing a newer or older model? I would appreciate any help.

amaldo01

TPS Ritch's Superior Fanatic
If league allows asa bats with no asa stamp but on approved asa list, go with a ritchs superior sb3. Or even a blue cu31 model.

W00DY

Addicted to Softballfans
For a ball with a hard compression number like that, the Easton Redline models are the best IMO. You get something like a Nanotek and it'll hit great, but fold quickly. The Redline C-Core (SZ1-C) and Z-Core (SZ5-Z) and two piece Connection Z-Core (ST1-Z) were made when 525pqi. was the standard compression for most sanctions and were built to take the punishment. They are single wall aluminum with an inner wall of carbon fiber making them "like" a double wall bat. When they came out, there was no other single wall bat that even compared for distance and exit speed IMO.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
For a ball with a hard compression number like that, the Easton Redline models are the best IMO. You get something like a Nanotek and it'll hit great, but fold quickly. The Redline C-Core (SZ1-C) and Z-Core (SZ5-Z) and two piece Connection Z-Core (ST1-Z) were made when 525pqi. was the standard compression for most sanctions and were built to take the punishment. They are single wall aluminum with an inner wall of carbon fiber making them "like" a double wall bat. When they came out, there was no other single wall bat that even compared for distance and exit speed IMO.

All of those bats are listed as "multiwall" on the ASA certified equipment website. Great bats for "all metal" leagues but any team manager that knows anything about bats will you call you on those in a singlewall league.

Best one piece singlewall out there is a old Nanotek SPA (if you can find one), followed by an Ultimate Weapon (gonna need a lot of them with harder compression softballs but they are cheap), then rip-it reap5/Anderson Pyro-ksp-ignite, and finally old school (Ritch's superior, Worth Lighthouse, etc)

Raw Steel wins if your league allows two-piece non composite handle singlewalls. The new Nano's, & White Steel are at the top of the list for two-piece composite handle singlewalls.

You definitely need to check with your league director to see exactly what type of singewall bats are allowed.
JJ

Moto341

Starting Player
Take a look at the Easton L7.0 it is a two piece composite handle and aluminum barrel and is considered "not hot" by ASA standards therefor allowed in those leagues. It hits very solid, nothing compared to my L6.0 or L4.0 but still a solid bat.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
swlist.png

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Take a look at the Easton L7.0 it is a two piece composite handle and aluminum barrel and is considered "not hot" by ASA standards therefor allowed in those leagues. It hits very solid, nothing compared to my L6.0 or L4.0 but still a solid bat.

Forgot to mention those Easton's. I purchased an Easton L9, the one piece singlewall aluminum itineration, & it did have good pop (somewhere between the Nanotek & UW) but it only lasted 10 swings before cracking using 375/40 softballs. It will probably fair better with 300/52 softballs.

Hey Frisco,
you should probably update that list to include the Easton's. I also came into a Rip-It Reap5 BCT which is a one piece singlewall aluminum. Not nearly as good as the original hype claimed but it hits about as well as the Anderson Ignites and is a tank on durability.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Forgot to mention those Easton's. I purchased an Easton L9, the one piece singlewall aluminum itineration, & it did have good pop (somewhere between the Nanotek & UW) but it only lasted 10 swings before cracking using 375/40 softballs. It will probably fair better with 300/52 softballs.

Hey Frisco,
you should probably update that list to include the Easton's. I also came into a Rip-It Reap5 BCT which is a one piece singlewall aluminum. Not nearly as good as the original hype claimed but it hits about as well as the Anderson Ignites and is a tank on durability.

I'm not familiar with these bats. Can you PM me all the pertinent info? Brand, model number, composition, etc.?

batrater

Addicted to Softballfans
Best metal single wall one piece bat I have used is the Ripit Prototype ASA, outhits any singlewall for distance including the steels

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Best metal single wall one piece bat I have used is the Ripit Prototype ASA, outhits any singlewall for distance including the steels

Rip-it Prototype ASA is a multiwall metal bat, so yeah, it's gonna outhit any singlewall.

The only other ASA approved singlewall Rip-it is the Reap8 which is suppossed to be very similar to the Reap5. This bat came out in 2012 to replace the reap5 but did not last long

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I'm on the ASA site now, looking at approved bats for Rip It. There are only two listed as SW (singlewall): Reap5 and Reap8.

If Rip It has other singlewall bats, they're not showing up on the ASA approved list.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Damn you Mr. Anderson. If you only brought back the one piece Nanotek we (I) wouldn't even be having this conversation! If Rip-it ever did have a Prototype ASA that was singlewall it would not matter cause, as Frisco pointed out, it's not in the softball bible of acceptable ASA bats.

On a side note, got to try out the rip-it reap5 28 oz tonight in my Berkeley league and I'm actually liking it (from a singlewall one piece metal league only perspective). Again, nothing will really compare to the old one piece Nano's but this hit the ball really solid and felt great. Now I'm on the big side weighing in at 240 lbs so that might have something to do with it but it did well against the 375/40's.

Single Wally, On a side side note, hit the JH Legit to the tennis courts in right center field at Lower Washington in Alameda tonight, prior to my Berkeley game. Hands down one of the farther shots I've hit in the past year. Me likey the Legit! Thank you sir.

batrater

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I'm going by what I was told from Ripit. The one league I play in only allows singlewall metal. So I bought a ripit prototype ASA (white one) being told by the retailer that it was a singlewall. This was before it was listed on the ASA approved bat list. Then I saw it listed on the ASA list as a Multi-wall, as Frisco pointed out, so I contacted Ripit directly and the told me it was indeed a single alloy bat. I told them it was listed on the ASA list as a multi-wall. They said they would check into that and have that changed. That was back in the beginning of April, as you can see it was never changed. I find it hard to believe it is a single wall, from the distance we get out of it and it does have some waves in it but it crushes the ball.

single wally

Professional Amateur
Weird b/c when Rip-It came out with the Reap5 it was approved as single wall, advertised as single wall, and even had "single wall" stamped on the bat. I'd be surprised if the Prototype was single wall and they did not mention this in the description nor bother to have this approved as single wall by ASA. Either Rip-It screwed up by not getting this changed by ASA or the person you spoke with was clueless. Too bad b/c I'd be interested in trying one in my single wall league.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
haha,
From what I gathered on previous SBF posts the same type of issue popped up with the reap5. It was initially reported on the ASA website as a multiwall then changed to singlewall.

Definitely confusing. I guess Rip-it really doesn't give a **** anymore cause they are no longer making metal softball bats. ASA could also be dragging their feet on this. I bought a Brett Bro's wood bat several months ago and noticed on the ASA website it was listed as a singlewall metal? Brought this to the attention of both Brett Bro's and ASA & it is still listed as a singlewall on their website????

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Weird b/c when Rip-It came out with the Reap5 it was approved as single wall, advertised as single wall, and even had "single wall" stamped on the bat. I'd be surprised if the Prototype was single wall and they did not mention this in the description nor bother to have this approved as single wall by ASA. Either Rip-It screwed up by not getting this changed by ASA or the person you spoke with was clueless. Too bad b/c I'd be interested in trying one in my single wall league.

Yeah, what he said!

single wally

Professional Amateur
^^^ JJ glad you like the JH Legit - guess you'll be blasting balls into the playground on Fri nights now! As for the Prototype, I think you should work with Rip-It to get this changed on the ASA site so I can use it in my single wall league. :D

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
haha- I hit the fence at Albany once, unless they start letting us use Ultra's I'm screwed on that front (sucks being old)

So I had to call Rip-it and they confirmed the S13DA rip-it prototype ASA 98 is, in fact, a multi-wall all alloy bat. Their only line of singlewall metals was the reap5 & reap8.
JJ

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Ya never know, Anderson might bring back a 1 piece Nano. Stranger things have happened.

Aha, thanks, East Bay, for confirming the information about the Rip It Prototype.

jaj23

Eye Baller

1. Never saw a mention of the type of ball being used...maybe I missed it.
2. NanoTeks are VERY durable. I hit with mine in 40 degree temps quite a bit and it is still perfectly round.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I might take the ST1-Z and ST2-Z off my chart, since they're classified on the ASA approved list as multiwall...

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate that ASA went to listing bats by "type". There was a league out here that has been using the Zcore and Ccore for the last 10 to 15 years. As soon as that ASA list came out they outlawed them. The worst part it the "type" is wrong on several bats. Not sure if it’s up to the mfg or ASA to fix it but in the mean time we get screwed if the league is going by the book exclusively.

batrater

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess we'll have to saw one in half to really know?

I've seen a Nanotek sawed in half to prove its a single wall.
and some still believe its a double wall!

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I guess we'll have to saw one in half to really know?

I've seen a Nanotek sawed in half to prove its a single wall.
and some still believe its a double wall!

That drives me crazy. I have the photo of the cut in half Nano, and clearly it's a singlewall. People that insist it's a multiwall are deranged.