Single wall metal ASA bat recommendations?

billoetjen

Hi, New member here.
I just finished my first competitive/rec league season, and am about to start in the fall league.
Same rules as the summer league, but only ASA single wall metal bats allowed.
For the summer games, I picked up an Easton Ronin 1 piece composite bat (26 oz) and learned how to get lots of singles with it. Can't use it in the fall games.
Just from reading the reviews and comparing prices, my choices are narrowed down to:
Miken Rival or Maniac
Easton Ronin 1 piece alloy or
Demarini Ultimate Weapon or Steel

The price range of those starts at ~$75 through 250. 26 oz is my preference.
Need suggestions based on experience and solid knowledge to seek the best bang for the buck and durability.
My apologies to all for this long first post. Thanks in advance,
Bill

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Really no such think as durability, if you can use 2 piece bats the steel is what you want, it should perform slightly/much better than the others mentioned

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Really no such think as durability, if you can use 2 piece bats the steel is what you want, it should perform slightly/much better than the others mentioned

Much better. There's a reason so many alloy leagues specifically banned that bat, it hits nearly as well as most composites with .52's.

If you're hitting anything harder though, I'd reconsider. It'll still outperform other alloys but it will triangle and/or split very quickly and make a very expensive paperweight.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
The demarini white steel has a composite handle and steel barrel, 2pc, some leagues require it to be be all alloy and that’s why demar produced the raw and steel models, and like others have said if you can use 2pc go for the newer demarini steel or an older used demarini raw steel, the newer one is supposed to be more durable as it has a seemless steel barrel, the newer models came out in 2016 and 2018, they just carried those models over for 17 and 19, the umlitmate weapon and the Easton ronin alloy are good bats as well if you if you can only hit 1pc, performance isn’t close to the steels imo, make sure you hit 52 300 Softball’s, the 44 375 will dent all those bats, and don’t use them in the cages for bp, with the steels the 26 is most endloaded and weighs in the 27oz range with a 11” barrel, the 28 is slightly endloaded and closer to 28oz and the 30oz feels like very little endload and weighs like 29oz imo, the heavier you go in those the more balance they feel, the 28 and 30 have a slightly bigger barrel in 12” as well, my leagues use worth hot dots 52’s and are singlewall, all teams use the steels with good results, if you can hit, the ball will travel 300ft, we mix in the ultimate weapon for base hits as we are only allowed 1-2 hrs, and play that kind of game, dink and duck, hit a bomb or fence shot etc

billoetjen

Much better. There's a reason so many alloy leagues specifically banned that bat, it hits nearly as well as most composites with .52's.

If you're hitting anything harder though, I'd reconsider. It'll still outperform other alloys but it will triangle and/or split very quickly and make a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the help.
The league almost certainly uses .52/300 softballs, but I'll double check.

billoetjen

The demarini white steel has a composite handle and steel barrel, 2pc, some leagues require it to be be all alloy and that’s why demar produced the raw and steel models, and like others have said if you can use 2pc go for the newer demarini steel or an older used demarini raw steel, the newer one is supposed to be more durable as it has a seemless steel barrel, the newer models came out in 2016 and 2018, they just carried those models over for 17 and 19, the umlitmate weapon and the Easton ronin alloy are good bats as well if you if you can only hit 1pc, performance isn’t close to the steels imo, make sure you hit 52 300 Softball’s, the 44 375 will dent all those bats, and don’t use them in the cages for bp, with the steels the 26 is most endloaded and weighs in the 27oz range with a 11” barrel, the 28 is slightly endloaded and closer to 28oz and the 30oz feels like very little endload and weighs like 29oz imo, the heavier you go in those the more balance they feel, the 28 and 30 have a slightly bigger barrel in 12” as well, my leagues use worth hot dots 52’s and are singlewall, all teams use the steels with good results, if you can hit, the ball will travel 300ft, we mix in the ultimate weapon for base hits as we are only allowed 1-2 hrs, and play that kind of game, dink and duck, hit a bomb or fence shot etc

Thanks for your very thoughtful, comprehensive response. That's the kind of information that can help me decide. I'll try to find a Steel at D***s, so I can get a feel for the balance/swing.
The Steel is tempting...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
With a singlewall, I hope your league is using .52 300s. Anything harder will cave those bats in pretty badly in the fall.

The aluminum Ronin isn't a bad bat. For a singlewall it will perform decently.

Last edited:

billoetjen

With a singlewall, I hope your league is using .52 300s. Anything harder will cave those bats in pretty badly in the fall.

The aluminum Ronin isn't a bad bat. For a singlewall it will perform decently.

Thanks for your comment. That's the spec on the league balls.

billoetjen

Steel is the way to go.
If the bat doesn't have to be current, there are lots of good choices in single walls.

Thanks. A post-2004 stamp is acceptable. I'm reluctant to bother with a used bat, even a classic, because I want one with life left in it.
What might be your preference on a new one?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Is the Maniac a singlewall? I have a Maniac, and to me it feels more like a doublewall. I can get legit pop out of it.

If your league allows that bat I'd swing it. It works well with .52s too.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Thanks for responding. I appreciate the help.
The league almost certainly uses .52/300 softballs, but I'll double check.

I'll try to find a Steel at D***s, so I can get a feel for the balance/swing.
The Steel is tempting...

If you're hitting .52's and the Steel isn't banned, nothing else will come close. If you don't buy one now you're gonna see other guys hitting with them and end up buying one later.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Is the Maniac a singlewall? I have a Maniac, and to me it feels more like a doublewall. I can get legit pop out of it.

If your league allows that bat I'd swing it. It works well with .52s too.

It’s listed as a multi wall on asa/USA website

jkwoody22

League ball huer
No d!cks and sports authority back in the day had their own repainted bats of miken and demarini, generally 2 year old models that where repainted in exclusives colors to be available to the masses and a cheaper price

billoetjen

Just ordered the Steel (26 oz), despite the many complaints about durability (including a class action suit against Demarini).
It's what the big kids agree on, has the fewest compromises, and as one of you said, I'll end up getting it because I'll see it in everyone else's collection.
Thanks for the advice, all.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
The class action was based on the barrel being fused, they would crack down the middle, essentially a sleeve welded together and the weld would break, in 16 and now the new steel is a 1pc seemless supposed to be better durability, but 52’s help that’s as well, I’ve had good luck with mine, my og raw finally split after 10 years of use as a team bat, 4 using 44’s, with one flat spot, hopefully it’s a good choice for you

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Just ordered the Steel (26 oz), despite the many complaints about durability (including a class action suit against Demarini).
It's what the big kids agree on, has the fewest compromises, and as one of you said, I'll end up getting it because I'll see it in everyone else's collection.
Thanks for the advice, all.

Just be sure to ONLY hit .52s with the Steel, and the durability should be fine. Those bats fold up quick on hard balls.

highflyout

The steel is the best you can get
I have had one 28oz we played 3 years with ice cold weather hard balls bat still has a ton of pop

billoetjen

I bit.
Twice.
My trust in Easton steered me to the 26 oz Ronin Alloy, and EVERYONE's feedback convinced me to try the Steel.
I couldn't decide between them. I said the hell with it, and got both.
My impressions from first self-pitch practice swings: the Easton is for when you absolutely, positively have to get on first. Its sweet spot is huge, and it feels almost like you're throwing the ball to the middle outfield. The Steel is for when I want to try to get the ball to the fence. Line drives to the outfield seem to move much faster, even on the grass. It's an end-loaded beast. Neither is the same as composite, but they are what I was looking for. Except in two bats, not one.
Thanks, everyone.