Sluggers or Fielders

r8dr_rider

For those putting teams together what do you normally look for over the other. I understand you want a mix or both but what trumps the other? And what do you think Is easier to train at?

ShortYellowBus

He’s absolutely right. If the guys go out and BP, there’s a good chance that scoring runs will happen.

Guys who play good defense generally are well rounded and have a lot of experience. If they can be good on defense, they’re probably amazing on offense.

There is exceptions, but more times than not, a good defender can swing a bat well.

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think I come across too many people who are great at fielding but don't hit well, but I see great hitters who are bad fielders a lot more often.

Adower

Star Player
For those putting teams together what do you normally look for over the other. I understand you want a mix or both but what trumps the other? And what do you think Is easier to train at?
I take a fielder over slugger. We had an opening on our team in right field. Picked up a guy that was friends with a current player on the team. The guy could kill the ball but couldn’t field to save his life. Any runs he produced were negated cause other teams just blew up right field and got them back plus more.

r8dr_rider

I take a fielder over slugger. We had an opening on our team in right field. Picked up a guy that was friends with a current player on the team. The guy could kill the ball but couldn’t field to save his life. Any runs he produced were negated cause other teams just blew up right field and got them back plus more.

lol yeah some people don’t see it that way. They just want a slugger that hit HRs or needs runner if he gets a single. you can only have so many catchers on one team. I myself still struggle with hitting this damn 8mph grenade but can play D with the best of them, in and out field. Ive seen the art of D has been deteriorating with all these juiced bats

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
It’s a hitters game so most players can hit in some form but you need fielders to make plays and to not allow opponents extra outs.

dunkky

for softball, fielding is not given, you have to be athletically talented. any fat guy can slam softball in non-conference level for high average. so, I'll take a center fielder who can catch every single balls in the air with strong arm. Now, in conference, everyone gotta hit and field. some fat dudes in conference, they ain't no avg fat beer guy.

BSBR

Starting Player
Good fielders are usually good athletes, and usually a good athlete can turn into a good hitter. I think fielding can improve but only so much. You cant teach speed, its very hard to improve an arm, and I've found you can only improve a persons ability to field a grounder or flyball so much. With fielding, I think you either have it or you don't. Hitting is much easier to improve. That being said, you don't win many games scoring 8 runs, no matter how good your defense. There is always room for a good bat at Catcher, and EH. If you have a 2 studs in the OF, maybe you can take a hit on the 3rd OF, or 4th if you play 4 OFs. Maybe your pitcher can work the inside corner a ton, and you can hide a guy at 2nd that crushes the ball. If you have defensive studs at SS, middle (bucket), 3rd, CF, LF, and a good pitcher, maybe you prioritize bats at 2nd, RF, 1st, and C? As you said, a good balance is usually best.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I hate to say it, but offense generally trumps defense in slowpitch, especially at higher levels. That doesn't mean you can put a team of poor defenders out there, but the best hitting/slugging teams almost always win.

I've seen way more games won with overwhelming offense rather than stellar defense. A good hitting team is going to score runs no matter how well the defense plays.

I sometimes see teams who play great defense, but don't score a lot of runs. If they're given 8 HRs, they'll hit 3 or 4. You have to hit the HRs you're given. If you're leaving 4 or 5 HR on the board every game, you're going to lose, period.

Sluggers always have a place on upper level softball teams, even those who are poor to marginal defenders.

tonys1

Defence doesn’t have to be stellar with diving catches but it kills the whole team when the clown music starts every time there’s a ball hit to your right fielder and the bases clear. It’s slow pitch, the ball will be put into play, make the god damn plays you’re supposed to.

Redsfan

When I played to win trophies our team would only pick you up if you could do both. Now that I play just for fun we will grab the slugger 90% of the time. They still need to be competent enough in the field to not cause you a ton of runs though on D.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
For som reason, there’s too much pressure in this game for it to be a “recreational” sport. **** makes me not want to play anymore. It’s like guys expect for people to get on every at bat and make every play even in E and Rec. It’s just not going to happen. Here’s my thing, people play so much that they don’t take the time in to practice. Get swings in yes but not actually practice. I would rather have a team of utility players. Even a fat guy should be able to play the corners in the outfield and you should have at least 3 pitchers but guys don’t practice those positions enough. I would start in league, hold practice weekly and have guys run through at least 3 positions. If guys don’t hit with power regularly, have them work on being selective at the plate as well as finding holes

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
^^ this is how i always approached it when i was putting teams together, didn't have to be superstars and single postion player, i would always look for guys that could and be willing to play at least a couple different positions and also be willing to practice atleast once a week until season started, infact i had a guy that my brother invited onto the team, was one of the best players and probably the best hitter that tried to flex himself and mentioned to my brother that he didn't care for a couple guys that were themselves brothers cause they were rather large but they hit well and fielded well and came to practice 99% of the time when asked, the (superstar) didn't practice much so when my brother told me of his request i told him he didn't have to play if he didnt want to.. now a days it's even worse nobody wants to put time in and wonder y they sux lol

With the way bats are nowadays, anyone can rip a ball through the infield or crush it to the fence. I'd rather build a team around guys with solid gloves to cut down on as many runs as possible.

blakcherry329

Aren't HRs limited anyway? What happens when you run out of bombs? Look at the Yankees. Chicks did the longball, but defense and consistent hitting wins championships.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Slowpitch is a hitting game, great defense is a plus. One time in the semis at a tournament the other team put 22 runs on us in the top of the 1st. We came back in the bottom of the 1st and put 24 runs on them. The whole game was 3 innings. Defense was not an issue in that game.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Seems to me that 22 and 24 runs respectively in 1st inning would have to have something to do with defence or lack there of

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Seems to me that 22 and 24 runs respectively in 1st inning would have to have something to do with defence or lack there of

To be fair the balls being used were super blue dots and both teams were hitting ropes, like I said defense wasn't the main focus. But there is absolutely no way to get 46 runs in 1 inning if you don't have the bats, we had 3 team bombs and a DHH.
IMG-20200314-WA0001.jpg

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Using Blue Dots with today's bats wouldn't even be fun unless you were on a stadium sized field.

dunkky

if you took at the conference stats, center fielders stats are relatively weak compare to other positions. they can put a fat guy out there with more pop and higher BA but they don't. I think that says something. Even though it is built for offence, you are not gonna win gams having harvey in the center field.