Small fields???

almostthere

Played ASA States E's this past weekend in Maine, where home runs are inning ending outs and we played on a bunch of fields that maxed out at 275-280. Guys were hitting hard line drives that should have been gappers but ended up costing their teams big because of the short porch.

Is this happening in other states?

almostthere

Yeah agreed it's all equal, it wasn't just one team though. In the 4 games we played there were probably 17 home runs hit between all the teams. Not bombs just line drives that on a normal 300' field would have been good hits.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I *thought* I read that if games were not played on 300' fields everything after the first HR was supposed to be a double if sanctioned. But I can't find where I read that right now.

Country469

Yeah agreed it's all equal, it wasn't just one team though. In the 4 games we played there were probably 17 home runs hit between all the teams. Not bombs just line drives that on a normal 300' field would have been good hits.

wait what, a "line drive that goes out on a 280 fence is a hit everywhere else"

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Small Fields? Is that a clever analogy for something else? If so, I have never had a complaint about my field size. Well once I did, but that was during a double header.

pirates33

Addicted to Softballfans
Learn to hit. D states are on those fields every third year and there are very few accidental homeruns. 2 of the 3 have 8ft fences so some of those hits may have been a little higher than line drives

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well, you can thank the hot bats for the huge surge in HRs lately. 280' is too small for any sort of serious softball though.

Keep a dead bat around for those types of tournies. Going up there with an ASA DC41 on a 280' field is a recipe for disaster.

huzzdog

retired
Played ASA States E's this past weekend in Maine, where home runs are inning ending outs and we played on a bunch of fields that maxed out at 275-280. Guys were hitting hard line drives that should have been gappers but ended up costing their teams big because of the short porch.

Is this happening in other states?

they still have an ASA states? i caught the ban a long time ago

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Played in a tourney in Newport Oregon, on one of the smallest fields I have ever seen. 266' in left center, 185' with a 30 foot screen in right field. Saw one idiot hit a long foul that just missed being a DBO, next pitch hits another foul that would have been a DBO, then finishes his at bat with a 280' DBO in almost the same location.